Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Mature Bream

wasnt any taken, everyones open to there opinion.
the main reason i post on here to see what everyone else what do in this suituation and their opinions on what i am doing.

*insert expensive reels, expensive rods and line type here*
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdshroom View Post
No offense intended with my reply earlier. You do what you want with the fish. I dare say your doing something really wrong if you've been using fresh bait and seen zero results. Have you checked out what the other people on the breakwall are doing? Maybe you might see something that's causing them and not you to get the jews, and again, that's my next 2cents. I don't chase them with bait but only on (non-gulp) plastics and it's been a good start to the year for me already.
Spoken like a true internet warrior. He could be fishing a completly different system to you. You must be an exceptionally good angler if you started catching them in your first few sessions. Any one can go dong a few soaps I believe this gentleman is after something a little more brag worthy.

Whitingwrangler it's not easy man you know that hang in there I probably put in 10 missions fishing two tide changes before I got my first. It's just a learning curve mate after the first it gets easyer. One thing you will learn with Jew fishos is its the ones that talk the least that usualy catch the most. Which unfortunately isn't me lol.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitingwrangler95 View Post
Ive been thinking.
ive been chasing jews alomost every weekend since mid febuary and havnt got anything besides some MONSTER stingrays and a couple port jacksons.

so when i do have my first (legal) jewfish capture i want to have something to rememeber it. Ive watch a bloke down the breakwall remove the "jewels" out of the head of a fish and i would like to do this.

Would i have to preserve them in something or do i boil them?? ive got no clue with this sorta thing.

any help guys??

cheers whiting wrangler :P
Hey,

They're called the otoliths, or somewhat incorrectly but commonly called the ear bones of a fish. They're of great use scientifically as they can be used to age a fish, see how fast the fish has grown and predict how fast the fish will grow and to what size at what age the fish would of been into the future.

They are fairly easily to remove from large species such as your prized jew, but try doing them in flathead or the worse one that I've removed is from a small garfish - that was tedious.

To use them scientifically, a cross section is carefully removed and then the otolith is placed within some resin and set hard. With some training and a fair degree of skill, ages can be read much like growth rings on a tree trunk.

To remove them from a fish, buy a surgical scalpel and make a small cut on top of the head untill you can get down into the skull....or even better yet, google removing otoliths and I'm sure there will be a step by step tutorial on how to do it. Be gentle and use a very sharp blade....it's just like surgery to remove them.

I wouldn't boil them as this will break down the bone structure and you may end up with nothing but goop...or simply nothing at all. I'd simply clean them well (they should be already clean) and leave them be.

Depending what state your in, your local fisheries department may be very interested to be sent or pick up your jew carcass for futher aging and growth rate tests and observations.

Hope this helps
Dion.

www.crankalures.com
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Mature Bream

Well if you going to do it.. you may as well do it properly

Find a willing occupant, then obtain the desired results.... the only reason we keep them yeah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1.jpg (379.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg M2.jpg (318.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg M3.jpg (440.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Mature Bream

In the end you get an awesome silvery cape and some scraps for the seagulls

Just make sure you don't get possessd by the Jew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M4.jpg (496.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg M5.jpg (56.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Blue Lip

holy crap gummy that's a huge jew. Well done.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breambassin View Post
Spoken like a true internet warrior. He could be fishing a completly different system to you. You must be an exceptionally good angler if you started catching them in your first few sessions. Any one can go dong a few soaps I believe this gentleman is after something a little more brag worthy.

Whitingwrangler it's not easy man you know that hang in there I probably put in 10 missions fishing two tide changes before I got my first. It's just a learning curve mate after the first it gets easyer. One thing you will learn with Jew fishos is its the ones that talk the least that usualy catch the most. Which unfortunately isn't me lol.
Hey, did I hit a nerve? I know I'm wanted man on BM but I think I gave some just advice there mate.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Mature Bream

[QUOTE=nbdshroom;613304]Hey, did I hit a nerve? I know I'm wanted man on BM but I think I gave some just advice there mate.[/QUOTE

May i ask why you are a wanted man??

Old 06-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Blue Lip

When i first started fish for jew on lures i thought i'd time my expeditions and see how many i could catch in 100 hrs of casting HB's.I got my first after 25 hrs of solid casting around 2 am on a horrible night.I reached 99hrs and had only caught 4 jew so i was averaging about 25 hrs per fish....luckily for me i caught 3 jew in that last hr between 5-6am one morning so the tally was 7 in 100hrs of casting and the best was only 81cm.
I've caught plenty since but they are definitely a fish that can lead to mental instability(like beach worming)and in some cases bitter divorce when your missus realises she comes 2nd to a fish.
I didn't suffer either but the buggers are an enigma.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 06-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereus View Post
bitter divorce when your missus realises she comes 2nd to a fish.
LOL
Old 06-05-2014, 02:13 AM
Mature Bream

keep persisting and your jew will come, ive never worried about preserving jewels in anything and had no dramas, be warned mulloway madness is highly addictive. if your lucky to get talking with a someone with the madness listen most dont talk much. good luck.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 AM
Mature Bream

yes i hear MA disease is quite catchy and there is no known cure.

MA= mulloway addiction

Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 AM
Big Bream

WW95 - I have a veggie mite jar full of these so this is the easiest way to get them out...

once you've filleted the fish put a rectangle slice from the top of the gill (the gap of the silver gill to browning flesh of the fish) and along the top of the spine where you first sliced for the fillet. Rectangle toward the eye and slice it way. Rub your finger hard over the rest of the flesh and you will get to the main bone which on its own is a cylinder shape which runs down to the nose.

Where you have rubbed away you will see a section (on both sides) of that cylinder bone which is see through. Turn your knife around and crack that open. Then put the tip off the knife in and flick them out (1 per side). Should take about 2-3 minutes.

That section you want to hit is exactly half way between the back/top of the eye and where the top of the gill finishes on the body. If you drew a line from those points and split it in the middle, that exactly where the see through part of the bone will be.

Just remember mate, fish are there to be caught and eaten. Its just plain stupidity for anyone to tell you which species of fish you should and shouldn't let go once they hit legal size. You don't enjoy the fresh fish, then the next person will. If it makes you feel better, undersize (by Aus fisheries legalities) Mulloway and Tailor are sold overseas by the millions of dollars per year.

To eat beef, sheep, pig, chicken, etc day by day and not have a thought or objection to it in anyway seems rather high horse to turn around and make you feel guilty of your efforts.

Don't worry bud. Catch it, measure it, take a few pics, cut it up and eat it.

Believe me, there are plenty out there! 1% of the jew hunters catch 99% of them hence why people seem to think they're harder to catch than jacks. I can spent 1 hour at a specific spot, time, tide, month, with a certain bait or plastic and catch half a dozen. Yet spend all day or all night all over the hills and not crack a jack when they're apparently "on"

you want any advice on jewies pm me
Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
WW95 - I have a veggie mite jar full of these so this is the easiest way to get them out...

once you've filleted the fish put a rectangle slice from the top of the gill (the gap of the silver gill to browning flesh of the fish) and along the top of the spine where you first sliced for the fillet. Rectangle toward the eye and slice it way. Rub your finger hard over the rest of the flesh and you will get to the main bone which on its own is a cylinder shape which runs down to the nose.

Where you have rubbed away you will see a section (on both sides) of that cylinder bone which is see through. Turn your knife around and crack that open. Then put the tip off the knife in and flick them out (1 per side). Should take about 2-3 minutes.

That section you want to hit is exactly half way between the back/top of the eye and where the top of the gill finishes on the body. If you drew a line from those points and split it in the middle, that exactly where the see through part of the bone will be.

Just remember mate, fish are there to be caught and eaten. Its just plain stupidity for anyone to tell you which species of fish you should and shouldn't let go once they hit legal size. You don't enjoy the fresh fish, then the next person will. If it makes you feel better, undersize (by Aus fisheries legalities) Mulloway and Tailor are sold overseas by the millions of dollars per year.

To eat beef, sheep, pig, chicken, etc day by day and not have a thought or objection to it in anyway seems rather high horse to turn around and make you feel guilty of your efforts.

Don't worry bud. Catch it, measure it, take a few pics, cut it up and eat it.

Believe me, there are plenty out there! 1% of the jew hunters catch 99% of them hence why people seem to think they're harder to catch than jacks. I can spent 1 hour at a specific spot, time, tide, month, with a certain bait or plastic and catch half a dozen. Yet spend all day or all night all over the hills and not crack a jack when they're apparently "on"

you want any advice on jewies pm me
cheer for the reply,

the way ive been shown is to fillet the fish, cut the "wings" off, pull all the gills etc out, use tin snips or something and cut the bone thats smack in the middle of the head.
^not the best method but its how ill remember.

ive got in my head what i need to do to get the ear bone out.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM
SLAZMO

Every fish has different sentimental values.

I dont have any Jewie Oliths - but one day will for sure!

Other of my catches have given weird surprises as jewels that I keep...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB030274.jpg (584.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PB030277.jpg (606.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Big Tailor at Upper Coomera Lake - 20100818 (14).JPG (172.0 KB, 1 views)