Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 23-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Blue Lip

Sharks

So whats everyones opinions on the GWS situation over here...

Cull em? Capture, tag and monitor wherabouts assuming they are 'resident sharks'? Or leave em be and not dive by yourself on days where visibility is poor and there is shark attack in neon signs written all over the beach (fair bump play on)
Old 23-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Poddy Bream

just leave em be we play in there backyard
Old 23-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.ashcroft View Post
just leave em be we play in there backyard
+1
Old 23-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Y View Post
So whats everyones opinions on the GWS situation over here...

Cull em? Capture, tag and monitor wherabouts assuming they are 'resident sharks'? Or leave em be and not dive by yourself on days where visibility is poor and there is shark attack in neon signs written all over the beach (fair bump play on)
You hit nail on the head mate!

we all know the conditions that sharks / predatory fish love to hunt in.
Be mindful of this, don't dive alone, don't swim near Seals, don't swim at night and never swim in champain coulored water.

it is a shame for those poor guys that have been attacked and if they were friends or family I might have a different opinion.

It is more likely to drown in the ocean then be attacked by a shark.

So culling is not the answer in my mind.

If you choose to fish or swim in their area then you choose to take that risk, and it is a risk that everyone that uses the water takes because the risk of shark attack is very small.
So how can that be put back on the shark.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Big Bream

just senseless going out and culling because...

swimming in their domain comes with risks, thats life in general, it is just a matter of how people take responsibilty for themselves and the life they live.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Blue Lip

I think the monitoring of sharks etc is a very labour intensive process and very costly. Running spotter planes etc dont always work and they cant be everywhere at one time. There are none in the SW that I know of- only metro.

IF there is one creature in one localised area that is causing a problem eg cottesloe beach or bunkers bay, then I dont have anything against culling that animal. They will destroy a dog that has bitten a human after all. Im a hunter and have no opposition to culling animals where required.

The guy who got taken at Bunkers Bay was taken by a resident shark I believe (short or long term resident I dont know). Ole mate has been seen at the same location a few times before and since then, video taped last summer hanging around a boat in dunsborough plus only a few weeks ago was spotted metres off the shore of a popular swimming beach near dunsborough. In this situation I think there needs to be some shark fishing done to see just what lurks in the area and if they come up with a large great white in a short period of time, then there obviously has to be a decision made in the interest of public safety.

If there were another attack in WA, I believe culling the animal is a potential solution to stop it happening again, but in all seriousness probably wont happen as it could be anywhere by the time boats and planes get to the area. Its just making the authorities look good that they are on the water driving around in circles. And its only a temporary solution- plenty of fish in the sea!

There needs to be a more pro active way that sharks are managed in WA than just knee jerk reactions of shoot to kill and spotter planes. And we have no shortage of marine biologists and experienced people in the industry to come up with a solution.

Like you said, respect that its thier environment and dont enter the water if you dont want to risk being chewed.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Blue Lip

Culling sharks because of that is like banning flying planes because a few people died in a plane crash....

Achieves absalutly nothing... The people putting themselves in those sort of positions do so knowing full well the risks involved, incredibly unfortunate that it did happen, but such is life.

Hope the family's are doing alright. Im also sure if they were asked what they wanted done, culling sharks would not even get a look in.

Just my 2cents. Cheers
Old 23-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Big Bream

Location: Soon to be in an old aged home with Mark M, president of the Coffin Dodgers
Cull em all my young bloke likes to play with em keeps him amused for hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg great-white-shark-5.jpg (29.6 KB, 103 views)
Old 23-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardi View Post
Cull em all my young bloke likes to play with em keeps him amused for hours
That pic puts things into perspective a bit yardi!

Im not saying we should go around willy nilly and shoot a shark on sight. But if there is a legitimate threat in a populated area then some action is needed. Cottesloe beach is nothing compared to Surfers Paradise. What would be done if a GWS took three or four people on surfers and continually showed up? Its an immediate response that is only temporary but may save future lives.

What im trying to say is that they need to create a proactive solution to monitoring shark movement in populated areas. If that means tagging and GPS tracking then so be it, or if it means fishing them and destroying it then what ever. Plenty of knowlegeable folks around that would know more on it.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Blue Lip

manage the fishery ....

cant think of another fishery off the top of my head thats not managed now days.

everything from herring to marlin have managment stratagies in place but, unless i'm wrong, great whites have no managemnt stratagy apart from "dont touch 'em"

we need to do the studies to determin if a cull is needed, if the answers no not needed then leave 'em alone. if the answers yes we need to thin them out then get on with it.

either way stop driving around thumping your chest after an attack. does nothing. i dont think it would even help the grieving familes feel better & they are the ones who need a bit of support now.

damn this soap box is high!