Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30-05-2018, 10:52 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,369
Whats your go to Pinky outfit

If you get chance - would you mind giving us a run down on the outfit you use for chasing pinkies - rod, reel, line, leader, jigheads and lures.

I mainly use

2-4kg rod
2000 reel
10lb braid
8lb- 10lb leader
2/0 1/8th jigheads
and curl tails, paddle tails and Shrimp soft plastics in 2 -3 inch
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31-05-2018, 01:02 AM
sevric's Avatar
sevric sevric is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Port Macquarie
Posts: 204
We use a slightly heaver outfit for small reds here. Reason being that although most reds are 1-3kg the odd 7 or 8kg model appears and naturally always ends up on the pinky outfit rather than a specific larger Snapper outfit (Murphy's law always rules supreme here).
Our Pinky outfit would be 6kg rod
20LB braid
20LB fluro leader
1/4-1/2 oz jig heads
and we prefer jerk baits in the 6" range.
Although this is overkill for most it gives you a fighting chance (just) on an 8kg model in shallow water which simply go ballistic.
__________________
Regards to all Dick
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31-05-2018, 01:57 AM
mazman's Avatar
mazman mazman is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 454
I have three I run on the yak.
1-3kg 2000 6lb and 6lb leader
2-4kg 2500 pe 0.6 tasline and 10lb leader
3-5kg 2500 pe 0.6 tasline and 12 or 16lb leader
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31-05-2018, 04:07 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
We use a slightly heaver outfit for small reds here. Reason being that although most reds are 1-3kg the odd 7 or 8kg model appears and naturally always ends up on the pinky outfit rather than a specific larger Snapper outfit (Murphy's law always rules supreme here).
Our Pinky outfit would be 6kg rod
20LB braid
20LB fluro leader
1/4-1/2 oz jig heads
and we prefer jerk baits in the 6" range.
Although this is overkill for most it gives you a fighting chance (just) on an 8kg model in shallow water which simply go ballistic.
Yeah all my current day lure tackle choices stem back to one sunny day on a coral reef off Heyman Island 20 year ago.

Me and a mate had waded out through 200m of stone-fish infested coral reef to get to a drop off.

My mate was used to 20lb mono, 6500 shimano bait runners while surf casting for heavy slugs for salmon.

So when I lent him one of my 3-6kg, 7ft graphite outfits with 14lb leaders - he was in heaven.

He got smoked by a Trevally and I apologized for providing him with an undergunned out fit (these out fits comfortably landed nearly everything I hooked the day before)

But his reply surprised me - "This is the most fun I've ever had casting lures" - (he landed heaps of other stuff that day)

When questioned, he said that casting lures on fibre glass surf rods for Salmon isnt fun - its hard work interspersed with more hard work, on a fish you plan to release anyway.

But these light graphite sticks meant fatigue was a thing of the past and he could just enjoy wading and fishing.

That really struck a chord with me - Although I'm known for my uncanny ability to land huge fish - I dont want every cast I make, to be a chore to retrieve.

I often bring a heavier outfit but I never start out using it to search for fish. I'm land based these days so I find fish with crystals and palm readings

But all that gets thrown out the window when 8kg snaps are likely to be encountered - I work on a top 5% rule - if 95% of the fish I am likely to catch are below 2kg - I'll target the 95% and cut my losses
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31-05-2018, 04:23 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
I have three I run on the yak.
1-3kg 2000 6lb and 6lb leader
2-4kg 2500 pe 0.6 tasline and 10lb leader
3-5kg 2500 pe 0.6 tasline and 12 or 16lb leader
Yeah I've heard good things and bad things about Tas-line (mainly good)- I'm not trying to poop on Paulus - but when he tried to tie an FG he found it weaker than other knots - that made me question all his methods -

I personally test all my gear with digi scales now - so I have my own personal rating system- I test it dry fresh out of the box - then again a few months after soaking in the toxic sludge we fish

One thing I've noticed is soaking line in Nong/Yarra juice does not increase its breaking strain

I tend to go lighter when I'm on a floating vessel with a landing net aswell - I save the 6lb leaders for 7m of water 500m off shore over mud bottom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31-05-2018, 05:25 AM
mazman's Avatar
mazman mazman is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah I've heard good things and bad things about Tas-line (mainly good)- I'm not trying to poop on Paulus - but when he tried to tie an FG he found it weaker than other knots - that made me question all his methods -

I personally test all my gear with digi scales now - so I have my own personal rating system- I test it dry fresh out of the box - then again a few months after soaking in the toxic sludge we fish

One thing I've noticed is soaking line in Nong/Yarra juice does not increase its breaking strain

I tend to go lighter when I'm on a floating vessel with a landing net aswell - I save the 6lb leaders for 7m of water 500m off shore over mud bottom
The light rod is usually saved for similar circumstances but I brought it out for a bit of fun recently and it's a touch addictive. Got them to 50cm on it and despite some hairy moments have landed all hooked so far (although there's been a fair bit of spool palming)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31-05-2018, 05:35 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
The light rod is usually saved for similar circumstances but I brought it out for a bit of fun recently and it's a touch addictive. Got them to 50cm on it and despite some hairy moments have landed all hooked so far (although there's been a fair bit of spool palming)
Yeah fishing on lures is a very weird set of equations - I bumped into an old salt a couple of months back - he was using 100lb black braid with 100lb flouro leader -

I said - Ive run livies 4m apart on on 40 lb leader and 20lb leader - and while the 20lb got hit 10 times the 40lb remained untouched.

He said - the fish I'm Targeting dont care about your leader......

I dont know whether I agree with him but I understand the impulse to use heavier leaders
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31-05-2018, 07:58 AM
mazman's Avatar
mazman mazman is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah fishing on lures is a very weird set of equations - I bumped into an old salt a couple of months back - he was using 100lb black braid with 100lb flouro leader -

I said - Ive run livies 4m apart on on 40 lb leader and 20lb leader - and while the 20lb got hit 10 times the 40lb remained untouched.

He said - the fish I'm Targeting dont care about your leader......

I dont know whether I agree with him but I understand the impulse to use heavier leaders
I've done similar tests with dead baits and leaders for similar results for sharks off the beach except it was 60 and 100lb, the bit that's always bugged me is would the heavier bait get taken if there was no nearby alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31-05-2018, 08:34 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
I've done similar tests with dead baits and leaders for similar results for sharks off the beach except it was 60 and 100lb, the bit that's always bugged me is would the heavier bait get taken if there was no nearby alternative.
Yeah results may vary - but my side by side testing with livies suspended at exactly the same depth - 4m apart - firmly suggests a lighter leader can be the difference between 10 runs and none.

How that translates to lures is up for debate - but its worth noting

Last edited by yellow door 1; 31-05-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31-05-2018, 03:40 PM
sevric's Avatar
sevric sevric is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Port Macquarie
Posts: 204
I'm all for using lighter gear on Reds leaders in particular but for me it all depends on where you are targeting the fish. We would have a lot of fun using lighter equipment but the reef here is not very forgiving. We target Reds mainly in the mid water depths fishing less than 15m often. A red of only 5kg will run you over the edge of a drop off in seconds; no time to play him out it is just all over red rover in a blink of an eye. So for us 20LB leaders and main line are a minimum. My wife who is(more of a meat fisherman and i can write this because she is not here at the moment) not as sporting uses 30LB leader and mainline a 3000 Daiwa and a broomstick rod and while she does not catch as many fish she always catches the trophy fish of the day because of the heavier gear.
For us it is unknown what size the next Pinky will be and so it is hard to plan and use the nice light stuff. I envy you guys that can get away with it as it is so much fun.
__________________
Regards to all Dick
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Mark M's Avatar
Mark M Mark M is offline
Dead Set Legend
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: WA Chapter of the Coffin Dodgers
Posts: 2,568
Depends

I take two combos with me to Shark Bay where we mostly fish in only 3-5 metres of water.
The first for flicking light lures;

Loomis IMX 6’6” 4-7kg
Certate 2500 (original blue model), 16lb Unitika braid, 18lb Varivas leader
1/8 to 1/6 TT 3/0 jigheads for 5” jerkbaits

I like to use snakehead hooks, as I think the fish gets less leverage with the swinging hook.

3_0.jpg

and a slightly heavier combo if the by-catch is around and I need a bit more "come here"

Daiwa 7’ Air Edge 5-9kg
Sol 2500 (original) has higher drag rating, 20lb Tasline Elite white, 20lb Sunline Camo/invisible leader.
1/6 to 3/8 TT 3/0 jigheads for 5”and bigger jerkbaits & paddle tails.

SB-6.jpg
SB-7.jpg

I rate the Tasline highly, I remember some bad press when the SAS braid hit the shelves a few years back, but I don't think their lighter braids (6lb & 8lb) which had some initial quality issues, were actually made by Tasline.
__________________
Hey Bear,
let me out...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2018, 07:18 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,369
Yeah in Melbourne you can go out target snapper under 50cm and larger bycatch is quite rare. I spose we're blessed

The reefs I've fished in Northern PPB are fairly flat and featureless compared to plate coral ravines and kelp covered drop offs I've fished in other parts of the country. You still get reefed occasionally but you can go many trips with out loosing a fish to structure.

The only time you really need to pump up your gear is when man made structure is involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 852.jpg (45.9 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Google