Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 30-11-2015, 02:01 AM
Poddy Bream

Getting my boat rerated???

Hi guys,
I want to look at getting my boat rerated so I can get a bigger motor, does anyone no who could have a look at it? Someone within a few hours from the hunter valley would be ideal. Thanks
Old 30-11-2015, 02:30 AM
Blue Lip

Its not that easy mate. Someone dodgy might say yeah do it, but insurance companies check the factory rating when they investigate why a claim is being made. You want a bigger motor? Get a bigger boat. Been there done it, not worth the hassle. If you have a problem getting on the plane with a certain load then look at different props. But if its speed your after, you need a bigger motor which means a boat that can handle a bigger motor.
Old 30-11-2015, 05:56 AM
Blue Lip

Its not hard to get done as people get boats re rated all the time without causing any insurance issues, if done legally it will be fine. Might be worth asking the question on polyboatowners forum, theres a few on there that have done it with their polys and may know someone in your area.
Old 30-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Mature Bream

I had my boat re rated from 50hp to 60hp. Checked with insurance company and they only asked for a letter from guy who re rated it for their records but all good.

Try Nick Lockyer of KPS maritime on the Gold Coast, he did mine and was more than helpful.
Phone: 0449 247 525
Sydney: 0449 247 595
After Hours: 07 5510 9815
surveyor@kpsmaritime.com.au
Web: www.kpsmaritime.com.au

If he has done the same boat before he may not need to see it but if it is the first of the model that he has done he will want to water test it.

Worth a phone call/email.
Old 30-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
Its not hard to get done as people get boats re rated all the time without causing any insurance issues, if done legally it will be fine. Might be worth asking the question on polyboatowners forum, theres a few on there that have done it with their polys and may know someone in your area.

Depends on the insurance company. I had my boat re-rated many moons ago and luckily it was by the boat manufacturer.

My insurer at the time stated they wouldn't accept an independent re-rating from even an authorised person, unless it was accompanied by a letter from the original manufacturer of the boat supporting the upgraded motor rating.

If your insurer does say there is no issue, I would get that in writing, as the salesman/woman who says it is all good, is not the assessor who comes out when you put in a claim.

Last edited by Mick; 30-11-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: