Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Share Your Experience and Help Others Get That Dream Shot

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluey View Post
I'm going to sound like a photo snob/ elitest, but I don't think it would be worthwhile at all purchasing a housing for the Sony. The investment (~$1500) just seems over the top for a relatively elementary camera that would become instantly obsolete when you change bodies.

If you were super adament about getting a good underwater setup - I would purchase a Canon G15 (Point and shoot with Manual Adjustments + RAW shooting ability) + an Ikelite housing. That would set you back roughly $1k and would be a beautiful little package to off sell later if you so wished.

As a bit of a reference as to where I'm pulling these preferences from - I used to shoot solely on a Canon 7D, after breaking up with the ex I had a fair bit of money to play with and decided to buy a housing for it second hand. When I got it I noticed it was massive (it's about 4kg without the body and lens inside) and I realised that I instantly regretted purchasing this thing.
a) It's incredibly heavy
b) There's a lot of prep time to get the camera ready to shoot
c) It's risky putting your camera underwater
d) I upgraded to a Canon 5D3
e) I rarely use it for reasons stated above

Now had I done what I had suggested to you (Canon G15 + Housing) I think I'd have a great portfolio of underwater images and a housing that takes little prep time to shoot with.

EDIT: Here's a link to BH Photo with that kit I was suggesting: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...For_Canon.html

Don't Sound like an elitist at all mate. It's one of the reasons I wanted to get some more info because I thought the housings for the sony wouldn't be readily avilable.

Really like the idea of something simple, that with some experience has the ability to shoot professional images. Thanks for the info Gluey very much appreciated!

Geneo Kustoms
http://geneokustoms.com/
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Mature Bream

Here's a few photos Ive shot recently.

Camera setup for those that are interested is the Olympus E-PM1 - with underwater housing - 14-42mm kit zoom lens.

All photos were shot in RAW and then adjusted in light room.

Few things Ive learned from the relatively short time Ive been shooting:
- Wider Lens the better: I found that I shoot at 14mm pretty much exclusively. Your better off getting closer to your subject, than trying to zoom in as it reduces the amount of water between you and your subject which in-turn increases clarity.

-Unless you want to invest in expensive strobe lights, your only source of light is the sun, so shooting in shallow water or close to the surface will light your subject a lot better giving you more dynamic colors as well as better shadows and highlights.

-Look for sandy or rocky bottoms where possible if getting into the water to photograph the fish. These bottom types stir up a lot less easily than mud or plant matter based bottoms and tend to settle alot quicker.

- Try and include static underwater elements in your photos, snags, sea grass, rocks, even the sea floor.

- Concentrate on getting the composition and focus right, when shooting in raw, things like white balance/saturation/contrast/colour can all be adjusted when you get home.

As I said i have only been doing it for 6 months give or take, so by no means am i an expert but they're just a few things that might be helpful to anyone looking at getting into underwater photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bemm_photo_2.jpg (77.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg bemm_photo_3.jpg (90.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg PC240108fb.jpg (101.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg eildon_yellas-1.jpg (54.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg untitled-1-2.jpg (71.7 KB, 37 views)

VISIT MY BLOG : www.indepthangler.com LIKE US ON FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/indepthangler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: