Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 14-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Big Bream

just out of curiosity ,can you call somebody "an idiot"?
because i dont feel there is any need for that sort of attitude either.
spinnerbaiting yellowbelly
suspending minnows on bass
jigging kingfish
flyfishing for bonito
fizzer fishing barra/goodoo
Old 14-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Fishing Tragic

There are occasions where this sort of thing can not be offensive, so no we won't be banning it. However, we also do not encourage personal attacks on members so please report any issue where you feel this arises.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 14-10-2010, 03:25 AM
Administrator

I take it you are referring to my post earlier today!!

It was probably not the right thing to say, but how many times do we have to go over the same old ground!

We all know how these things end, and it is not appreciated as it just makes work for the mods and I am sure they have all got better things to do than clean up after a troll has made a useless comment.

Maybe I should have not given him a warning and just deleted his account instead?
Old 14-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Mature Bream

Gday all

Ive been flying through the site in the past week, having been off it for a while, and i to must say its gotten a lot worse, so it's good judgment that somone is doing something about it....

We are a community and most blokes don't like to here it, nor read halfway through a post and see some kids, and even olda blokes arguing about something....

So lets remember the good old days n stay happy and remember the "FISH" are the number one priority and not nonsense like this....

Cheers Andrew

Shimano Saros 1000F Reel with Shimano Mexican Fireblood II Finesse Bream Raider 721, Running 4lb TD Sensor...
Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000F Reel with Lox Yoshi 1-3kg 6"6 rod, Running 2lb Crystal Fireline.
Old 14-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Mature Bream

having just joined, my previous forum experiences have been with car forums etc. where everyone speaks their mind and jokes around and has a larakin stir. all, well, mostly... in good intention. then again, being a car forum, everyone obviously has a license and that forum therefore has a large 18+ user group. which seems quite the contrary here. i personally am not offended by the odd swear word; unless it is used abusively, which is not called for and is IMO poor form. i mean, it depends where you want to draw the line, and an individuals personal conviction. like, some people are not offended with the S (poopie?) word, but find the F bomb etc. to be offensive. then there are other people that are offended when people saying 'bloody', 'stupid' or 'idiot' etc.
i mean, as a moderator, what can you do? really? ban everyone that swears? and where do you draw the line? and where do you set the bounraries and say, 'this is where it stops'? a hard call if you ask me.
Old 14-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Big Bream

Very good point madkeen.

Not esactly on topic but I find it funny how on the radio the "silencing" of swear words has become slacker and slacker.... To me it seems like its starting to become part of everyday language... Doesnt bother me at all but i can defaintly see it from the point of people that dont agree with it... Theres a time and place for everything
Old 14-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Mature Bream

Breamaster

Just to weigh in on the debate. This forum has improved out of sight in recent times. The banning of certain repeat offenders, both for swearing and generally offensive behavior, has really lifted the tone of the place. There are a lot less personal attacks and I havent heard of any recent problems with the classifieds since a particular individual was sent packing.

I used to send the mods regular emails to highlight what was wrong with this site. It seems that they have made the tough decisions and are now reaping the rewards. There will always be the odd numbnut nut, but overall the forum seem to be working well.

While we are always quick to point out the problems we are not always so good at saying well done. So keep up the good work guys.

Cheers
TB
Old 14-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Mature Bream

To avoid the chance of sounding hypocritical, might pay to edit the wording on the getting started page of Breammaster... (under handling section, 5th line down).

http://www.breammaster.com/getstarted.htm
Old 14-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbler View Post
To avoid the chance of sounding hypocritical, might pay to edit the wording on the getting started page of Breammaster... (under handling section, 5th line down).

http://www.breammaster.com/getstarted.htm
i don't deem that offensive, but straight down the line talking. as i stated earlier, its the level of and individuals personal conviction i guess.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Mature Bream

Personally I also do not find swearing offensive (15 years on building sites,it becomes the norm), as long as the intent is not to offend anyone... It wasnt meant to be a rub it in your face comment either, but more if their is concerns for minors who might be viewing, then the getting started page isnt the best place for setting the example...
Old 14-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Mature Bream

i think a PG rating to the forums would sound fair to me. that would accomodate for both age groups. obviously any form of verbal 'i-abuse' isn't tollerated by anyone. coarse language: F-bomb, C 'uttlefish', etc is not appropriate.... but what IS deemed appropriate? i dunno. i don't run the show. but it is something that is worth thinking about.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Administrator

That is a good spot there in the getting started pages, not sure how you even got there?

It is the remnants from a very long time ago, I would have no idea how to even start looking to find that page to edit it.

Personally though I have nothing against people swearing either especially when it comes to netters and bream, but if I ever find the page I will edit it though.

Ian.
Old 14-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Fishing Tragic

I'll chase it up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 14-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Blue Lip

Bear and Ian
Something quick off topic.
Any chance of starting another topic dedicated to bass boats, there was a good thread about importing last week, perhaps it could be expanded to include other things and share knowledge about perfoamce, jack plates props, fixing problems, repairing gel coats, talk about purchases getting parts etc etc...
Be happy to help get it started.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Big Bream

Reading through this thread its quite clear that swearing is at a zero tolerance level on this site and for most sites for that matter.

But what seems to get my hackles up is some of the threads that are left to continue to roll on where a particular member is getting torn apart.

Im not 100% sure of the name but the name "vlad.... ..." was being torn apart by some fairly borderline racist remarks where a few members saw him as an easy target and jumped on the bandwagon.
Im pretty sure it was about Japanese lures vs Australian lures.
The thread lasted a few pages (which i dont know how) and then up comes a pic directed at the new member that would offend any foreigner if they saw it.
Because frankly it crossed the borderline of racism and to me that is twice as bad as swearing.

I dont know how the mods see racism on this site but that thread was left active just way too long and the main offenders werent even banned or suspended??
So how does swearing compare to racist remarks in these forums is the question i ask ?

Last edited by shano; 02-11-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: