Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Mature Bream

Australian Big Cats

I've been almost obsessed with the the notion of large, Panther sized felids in our bush for quite some considerable time now. I've read every sliver of information on the subject, every eye witness account i can find, and even found a whole book on the subject. I have never seen one myself, but a few years back when I was living on a small property (surrounded by cane fields, densely wooded hill ranges, and bigger cattle properties) in northern QLD, I remember the neighbor telling me how one of their cows (Brahman) gave birth at night, and the next day they found its new born calf dead. But get this, the calf was 20ft high in a gumtree, wedged in a fork in the branches. This area was crawling with packs of big, vicious wild dingo crossbreeds (which I had been stalked by numerous times), but no dog can put a calf up in a tree like that. We had two big dogs, a fully grown Rhodesian Ridgeback/Irish Wolfhound cross, and a younger purebred Irish Wolfhound. They were both big strong dogs, and regularly chased packs of wild dogs away, and protected the young calves. But every now and again, at night hours after the sun went down, they'd start going crazy, running around between our shed (which we lived in) and a small creek about 80m away. We regularly had wild dogs try and stir them up, but on those occasions you would hear the wild ones howling and snarling as well. But in these occasions it was just our two dogs going off. It was really unnerving, considering whatever was outside could easily come into the shed, as we had no doors and all the rooms were open to the rest of the shed. Eventually things would settle down and it fell eerily quiet. Now I'm living in central Vic, Australia's hotspot for these sightings of big cats, and Im really interested in it. Just wanted to talk about it, without a family member or friend thinking I was a loony haha. Anyone else here interested in these big 'cats'?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: