Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

What does a warranty mean?

I hadnt really thought about it till I read this post.

A fishers story about warranty..

A few years ago I had a real with a shimano 5 year warranty on it that the bail arm Spring broke on (within warranty period). I rang shimano warranty department and was asked when it was serviced last, my reply being "never". Due to the fact I hadnt performed the correct maintenance and servicing I was told I wasn't covered under warranty but could be sold the part to repair it for about $3 plus postage (another $12 odd). I went ahead with it and made a mental note to be sure to always maintain my reals properly and service them regularly in future.

Now I have a less than 12 month old Stradic FK 2500 that came with a 10 year warranty, it cost me $280. Assuming I had purchased a quality piece of kit, with a whopping 10 year warranty they must really stand behind this reel I thought. Well, I thought wrong.

The reel is used weekly, cleaned with fresh water and a light coat of inox after use. The reel suddenly started making a rough noise on the retrieve last session so I figured it was a good time to service it. Upon opening up the reel, luring it all up after a clean out i discovered the line roller bearing was corroded and the shiny stuff was delaminating. A few attempts to clean it and grease it didn't help, it was knackered and running rough causing the noise I mentioned on retrieving line. Another call to the shimano warranty department and this time I knew I had done everything right so it shouldn't be an issue. How wrong could I be!

On the phone to the service/warranty department I detailed the issue and told them I had serviced the reel in an attempt to rectify the issue but the line roller bearing is troubled by corrosion and needs replacing under warranty as it has a 10 year warranty and I've owned the reel for less than a year (with receipt from BFC). "No no no" I was told in response! Due to the fact I had opened up the reel to service and lube it I had violated the warranty (only service option is to send it to their service department and pay the shipping and service fees) and even then, bearings are considered wear parts and not covered at all under warranty, period. My only option was to send the reel in for them to repairs at my cost, pay for the part and also pay them a service fee and return shipping! The example he offered was that when you buy a new car the tyres are wear parts and not covered by warranty (I told him that my car was full of bearings and all of them were covered by the warranty, if my reel had tyres I wouldn't expect them To be covered). To no avail of course.

I happily relayed that I would be writing up the conversation I had with him and telling the other fishos I know not to expect anything from the warranty. Do not expect anything from Shimano if you have a warranty claim, it isn't worth the paper it's written on. I probably have a statutory warranty claim under the law as it's obviously a poor quality part that isn't fit for purpose (or aligned with the price of the reel), not to mention that the 10 year warranty probably adds up to nothing less than false advertising. However, I can't be bothered heading down that path, for now I will simply never buy shimano gear again and go out of my way to tell anyone I know to avoid them. I know they are hard to avoid when shopping for fishing gear but I'll be making the effort from now.

Apologies for the long post. I'm angry. I feel like I've been lied to and cheated and I hope this post informs others of what to expect from Shimano's totally useless warranty. There are reputable competitive brands out there that will now be getting my business and I hope anyone reading this takes it into consideration before handing over another cent to this devious company.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 AM
Blue Lip

So this happens... But this is from a Stradic FI...

IMG_20190806_205327.jpg

But I'll message you via FB my thoughts on this warranty biz... But it's a common thing to make a sustainable income from servicing; a similar thing to the automotive industry.

P. S. Daiwa have been EXCELLENT with warranty claims of late... Actually just excellent in general for some reason (total heads and tails from how it was) - I'll give credit where due and they deserve it!

* but I still love my older Shimango reels regardless...
Old 06-08-2019, 07:14 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
So this happens... But this is from a Stradic FI...

Attachment 115199

But I'll message you via FB my thoughts on this warranty biz... But it's a common thing to make a sustainable income from servicing; a similar thing to the automotive industry.

P. S. Daiwa have been EXCELLENT with warranty claims of late... Actually just excellent in general for some reason (total heads and tails from how it was) - I'll give credit where due and they deserve it!

* but I still love my older Shimango reels regardless...
Yeah my last dealing with Daiwa was a couple of years ago.

I spoke to a New guy I'd never spoken to before - he told me how much a new circlip would cost to be posted and I did an involuntary vomit in my mouth. He heard it and just sent it out for free

Maybe that was the beginning of the end, of 20 years of sh1t service

The time before that they returned a reel with a part missing in the bail assembly and said I'd have to send the reel back and pay postage for them to check it over - this was going to cost more than just getting the part sent out.

Planned obsolescence and service departments, seem to be a big part of Reel companies future business plans

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-08-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Blue Lip

I've been dealing with one guy at Daiwa and honestly it's been exemplary... Has gone out of his way and yeh have been impressed to say the least on all dealings and issues.

With Shimano, it's "send it in" and well look at it to see if it's covered under warranty (that's their policy) - TBF I'd rather fix it myself, save my and their time (I'm extremely time poor during the week), with new parts (I'd send the faulty ones back if need be?) than waste time getting time off during the day to post (hour round trip), chance of losing it with Australia Post (pretty sizable risk!) and have someone else tool around in my reels - regardless of how new / old / obsolete they are - not all issues are warranty.

But let's be fair - reel manufacturers have a tough time these days with all the emerging brands out there and its a fine balancing act to stay on the market pedestal if your doing it wrong... So many avenues on social media to express their thoughts and opinions Inc visually, that so many people see and sway their thoughts and dollars accordingly.

P. S. I see bearings as consumable items also (they need to be properly lubricated from factory firstly which most are not), gears you should get a honest 2 to 5 years of easy use depending on the user and the service periods etc, longer if you rotate your selection and your anal on maintenance like this little fella. If your a dead set slob and smash your gear around and all that it's totally relatable that service agants either small or large will look at the reel and think "oh DohDohDohDoh me"... I've been servicing some people's reels now for X years annually - every year they come back a little more scratched, their gears a tad more worn and the reel generally more and more tired. Its a shame to say sometimes "that's it man she's at her end" especially when parts die up - then the next year a new one pops up and its a BNIB or close enough example of the old retired reel lol...

Reels can last a very long time with proper service intervals - higher the frequency / severity of use the higher the service intervals - its a no brainer that huh...

Last edited by Slazmo; 06-08-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Because I'm a little tea cup short and stout...
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I've been dealing with one guy at Daiwa and honestly it's been exemplary... Has gone out of his way and yeh have been impressed to say the least on all dealings and issues.

With Shimano, it's "send it in" and well look at it to see if it's covered under warranty - TBF I'd rather fix it myself, save my and their time (I'm extremely time poor during the week), with new parts (I'd send the faulty ones back if need be?) than waste time getting time off during the day to post (hour round trip), chance of losing it with Australia Post (pretty sizable risk!) and have someone else tool around in my reels - regardless of how old / obsolete they are...

Im just finicky but hey whatever works...
Yeah I used to dread dealing with Diawa - At least the guys at Shimano would happily admit when they had made an irrefutable error
Old 06-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Blue Lip

Oh take warranty like my Leatherman Supertool 200 Black that I sent into Zen Imports (the pivot in the Jaws became loose after years of extended use) - 5 days later a brand new Supertool 300 Black is posted out no questions asked...

Best warranty experience in a long time imho.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
I've been dealing with one guy at Daiwa and honestly it's been exemplary... Has gone out of his way and yeh have been impressed to say the least on all dealings and issues....
Yep, Adriano Fulnari, the guy is very helpful & genuine in his effort to make the Daiwa experience a proper service.

Helped me more than once, finding a "no longer available" part for older certates.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Yep, Adriano Fulnari, the guy is very helpful & genuine in his effort to make the Daiwa experience a proper service.

Helped me more than once, finding a "no longer available" part for older certates.
Yeh Adriano is another one and so is David, but he's just made a move into the colours and shapes department of marketing I believe...

Easy guys to talk to, no assholes / complexes given over the phone either...

Nothing worse than asking a simple question relating to parts to get a question back (I don't know questioning), non of that there - they seem to know their roles now... Few times in the past, I wanted to get on a plane (I have a morbid fear of flying 'acrophobia') and knock on doors to wakeup sleeping souls...

Last edited by Slazmo; 06-08-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:46 AM
Mature Bream

Ive always found that dealing with an actual tackle shop, as opposed to one of those type of retailers mentioned, vastly improves warranty claim interactions. In the very rare instance of a warranty claim, most real shops have an authorized reel tech associated eith the store who has access to parts and the ability, and approval, to carry oug any work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: