Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
Inox Melts Rubber. I used it on My Yabby pump, the washers swelled, and I couldn't Pump bait. DONT USE IT IF THERE IS A RUBBER WASHER OR SEAL ANYWHERE, INCLUDING YOUR OUTBOARD MOTOR!!!!!! My outboard Mechanic told me that!! And laughed about the Yabby pump. Howard.
Thanks for the tip - I was under the impression Inox was the wonder stuff that would only care and love for anything it touched - Handy to know it does bad things to rubber

It would be interesting to know how many coats you gave your Yabby Pump before it seized up.

Edit - Just checked the inox site and they do have a disclaimer about rubber.

Its just under the glowing review from a bloke who runs Hover-craft for a living
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8998.jpg (152.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:10 AM
Mature Bream

I drowned it in it. ONCE. A few months later, I nearly died from exhaustion for a hand full of yabbies!!!! Howard.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I drowned it in it. ONCE. A few months later, I nearly died from exhaustion for a hand full of yabbies!!!! Howard.
Did you try loosening the wingnut to decompress the rubber so the diametre of the rubber disks would shrink and slide through the tube easier - or were they too far gone
Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Mature Bream

When I removed the washers to replace them, they were half as big again as the new ones! I tried loosening off the wing nut when I was pumping to no avail. Howard.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:14 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Ahh ok - yeah I remember watching an emergency hack for bait pump - just jam the end of your pump onto a thong - and cut around the imprint to make temporary round washers.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Mature Bream

Here is some history for you.Over 63 years ago, my father and grand father always went on holidays at Booker Bay. They saw a gentleman with a homemade brass pump he was using to extract yabbies for bait. They both worked for James Hardie in the aluminium section so they copied the design in aluminium. What the washers were originally I don't know, but a soft thong has been the choice for many years. I still have 2 of them and they still work. The design of the modern pumps is still the same. When Yabby Pumps first came on the market, they wouldn't pump unless there was water over the area, our pumps would pump dry sand until hitting water. Now days that has been solved by Alvey and Wilson. Howard.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Blue Lip

Inox certainly doesnt hurt all rubbers, seems it does affect Septone rubber handles and a number of man made simple rubbers. More complex seal rubbers like in Stella AR's it goes well.

Certain seals these days are just made from the most garbage materials just to perform a task dry for a certain period of time untill replacement time.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:39 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Here is some history for you.Over 63 years ago, my father and grand father always went on holidays at Booker Bay. They saw a gentleman with a homemade brass pump he was using to extract yabbies for bait. They both worked for James Hardie in the aluminium section so they copied the design in aluminium. What the washers were originally I don't know, but a soft thong has been the choice for many years. I still have 2 of them and they still work. The design of the modern pumps is still the same. When Yabby Pumps first came on the market, they wouldn't pump unless there was water over the area, our pumps would pump dry sand until hitting water. Now days that has been solved by Alvey and Wilson. Howard.
So I take it you're fairly familiar with the internal workings of a bait pump

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: