Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 18-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Big Bream

Stradic

I need a new stradic to use with a light 9ft rod I'll use to fish the close gutters on the beach with 20g metals and plastics. I have a slightly heavier set up using a ci4 4000 to chase bigger salmon on larger lures, but this one will mostly be for smaller salmon in close. It needs to be able to be able to endure a regular splashing in the surf ( I tend to finish the day saturated and my gear regularly gets wet, although not dunked) do I wondered is there any diff in the way ci4 and the standard stradic are set up to withstand that sort of treatment? C14 would be lighter of course and would more easily let me cast all day, but a 2500 probably won't make a whole lot of difference either way and I'm more interested in whether one is better than the other with resistance to salt, sand and regular splashes of water.
Old 18-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Blue Lip

Having 3 renditions of the Ci4 now (F, FA & FB) which are you talking about? The Ci4's are perceivably the same internally as the FJ (FB same as the FK) bar for a few weight saving materials.

The FB has "seals" but as I've seen and shown they're quiet ordinary contact seals with big gaps in them around the anti reverse inner collars, and all other things remain the same. The LRB line roller is a one piece design where the bearing / line roller has to be replaced at the same time on the FB.

With regular splashing i doubt that the newer one is going to be any more forgiving than the old.

Regularly washing down and mini services at home will keep them going in the short term, just depends on how wet a reel gets and how far that water travels inside the bearings and into the gearbox.

Last edited by Slazmo; 18-04-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 18-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Big Bream

Thanks Slazmo. I had a few reels serviced by you a while back and you congratulated me on having the most sand in a reel you'd ever seen. High praise indeed. I think the sand hadn't gotten anywhere too disastrous ( I suspect I'd just forgotten to rinse that one after fishing) but I'm trying to do a bit better. I was alkibg about a new reel so I assume that's the FB so I guess I'll just see if one feels better on the rod.
Old 18-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortinaboy View Post
Thanks Slazmo. I had a few reels serviced by you a while back and you congratulated me on having the most sand in a reel you'd ever seen. High praise indeed. I think the sand hadn't gotten anywhere too disastrous ( I suspect I'd just forgotten to rinse that one after fishing) but I'm trying to do a bit better. I was alkibg about a new reel so I assume that's the FB so I guess I'll just see if one feels better on the rod.
Ha ha remember that.

Yeh the FB's are already down to $199 at some places already, quicker than imagined. Personally I myself love the F & FA's just no nonsense reels without that bent body look.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: