Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Vehicles > General

Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Mature Bream

2nd Car - Fishing Car options

Thinking about getting a 2nd car which I can use exclusively for my fishing adventures. Not looking to spend serious coin, around 8k limit I am thinking.

I am really like the style of Subaru Forrester / Mazda Tribute / Ford Escape

I generally only have two passengers + heaps of fishing gear, eskies, tents etc.

Not interested in 4x4, will do some driving on dirt roads but nothing serious. The slightly higher clearance on these days compared to a wagon is another bonus in my book.

Will tow a trailer which I my kayak on, or maybe a tent and some other camping gear for weekend trips. Nothing too heavy.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these vehicles? Is there another style of car I should be adding into consideration?
Old 04-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Mature Bream

Yes, the Outback. I love mine. Its good for fishing gear.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Blue Lip

The older 95 series Prado is great also. There's a few out there with relatively low km's that can be picked up pretty cheap. They go well, have great clearance, heaps of space and are reliable.

I had a 1998 petrol model and it was great. Picked it up for about $12,000 with ~165,XXXkm and sold it for about the same 2 years later. It was a little thirsty on fuel though.

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 04-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Blue Lip

Nissan X-trail. has decent off road ability (have taken it down some decent tracks). and more boot space than the ones you mentioned. Economical to run and service as well. Back seats fold flat to sleep in. The go forever so older ones can be had for your price range. Mine's a 05 model and mechanically its been flawless. I had it from new and the only problem is the AC fan which started to go last year it still works. Pretty good for a Vehicle that was $26K on road. Also I'm not tall 5'7", so the height of the Xtrail makes it easier than larger 4wd to load the yak.
Pretty pissed that they changed the shape, as it was ugly before therefore more than acceptable for a bloke o drive it
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xtrail Cropped.jpg (277.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Blue Lip

^^^^ What he said. +1 for the X-Trail. Love mine. Is very comfortable drives well for me and has been inexpensive to own to this point in time. Purchased an 07 model from new and while I looked at all the others at that time is was the larger luggage space that sold me. Good luck with your choice. Regards, HBt.
As an aside and apologies to Scissors Piscateur wher did you get that rod rack?
Old 04-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB tragic View Post
^^^^ What he said. +1 for the X-Trail. Love mine. Is very comfortable drives well for me and has been inexpensive to own to this point in time. Purchased an 07 model from new and while I looked at all the others at that time is was the larger luggage space that sold me. Good luck with your choice. Regards, HBt.
As an aside and apologies to Scissors Piscateur wher did you get that rod rack?
http://www.rodmounts.com/rod-loft-pro/
Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Mature Bream

Yes very nice idea that rod rack, was planning on doing a poorly done homemade job but I think I will spend the coin on that. Thanks for the ideas guys, more things to look at.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Mature Bream

Absolutely love my xtrail. Heaps of room for 3 guys loaded with gear for a weekend. Also room to roll a swag out in the back if you're on your own
Old 04-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Blue Lip

Had a subaru forester GT a few years back. WRX motor in it absolutely flew! But I towed my 18 foot ally bass boat around with it no probs. It was lowered from before I bought it which was a bit of a pain. Would happily recommend it again, was a great car. Wish I still had it for gravel tracks sometimes!

X trail is a nice car too, had a hire one around tassie twice now for fishing trips and very happy with them for the couple of weeks I drove it.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Blue Lip

[QUOTE=HB tragic;672483As an aside and apologies to Scissors Piscateur wher did you get that rod rack?[/QUOTE]

I bought mine second hand as they are reasonably hard to find her in Aus. hopefully Basti's link leads you to one. Just to add to the Xtrail sales pitch, in that vintage (as your price range dictates) it had the largest internal space (I wanted a vehicle I could sleep inside with a mattress), and was second to the Vitara for off road ability in Soft Roaders. Ruski's option of a Prado is an excellent Idea but as he says thirsty as eff.
If you're not looking to do much off road the outback has a heap of space evens a commodore wagon etc. The Forrester GT is a heap of fun but an older version may have had its clutch abused , and they're smaller inside.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:06 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Thank you Basti. Regards, HBt.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:23 AM
Mature Bream

X trail might be the number one contender at the moment, seem to be some with low k's at a decent price available (although not in SA atm), anything I should be looking out for in a used one apart from the obvious?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: