Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 06-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
any rod rated to 17lb should be able to hanlde 3/4oz easiy.
The 4/7 kg Maxwell is rate to 22 gr and easily handles that.

Another issues is the dynamics of the lure during cast, eg: large weighted head and soft body seem to flounder a bit say in comparison to Mrs Dougherty's old broom handle which has ben cut down to manageable sizes (relative size vs weight ratio)...

Hope that loop holds for you Larry, personally it'd be a choice of mine to go a nice twisted and epoxied piece of stainless steel to mimick the lure tow point ��

Last edited by Slazmo; 06-06-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:32 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
The 4/7 kg Maxwell is rate to 22 gr and easily handles that.

Another issues is the dynamics of the lure during cast, eg: large weighted head and soft body seem to flounder a bit say in comparison to Mrs Dougherty's old broom handle which has ben cut down to manageable sizes (relative size vs weight ratio)...

Hope that loop holds for you Larry, personally it'd be a choice of mine to go a nice twisted and epoxied piece of stainless steel to mimick the lure tow point ��
Yeah they were emergency plugs for an arvo session - and you're right - 14lb leader loops wont hold - the loops were quickly upgraded to cable ties when I got home.

They do have un unpredictable flight path but I figured so do some of my lightly weighted but heavy plastics. The sebiles I run on worm hooks weigh 18 grams on their own - So I figured a bit of randomness in flight would suit real world conditions.

Adding weights and tow points was more work than I had time for that arvo. I saw the problems - but "time" and "couldnt be stuffed-ness" got in the way, so I invented a reason to keep them dodgy

If I get time today I might add some eyelets - if I can find them - they're somewhere in the junk pile I call my tool bench

I was going to use the lures I actually cast with but I didnt want them to get dirty and beat up

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-06-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
any rod rated to 17lb should be able to hanlde 3/4oz easiy.
Yeah it handles the 3/4ers - I just wasnt sure how far passed the rod rating I should go at full pelt.

p.s. I got the Alphas - its an SV - just have to spool it up and run it through its paces
Old 08-06-2017, 03:53 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Either I dont have the skills to tame the alphas sv or there was a voodoo curse on the one I borrowed - I couldnt get it to cast further than the Caenan while using a half ounce.

Didnt test anything else as I was too busy picking out birdnests on the alphas

But even when it didnt birdsnest - it wasnt out casting the Caenan

If anyone else with an aplhas cares to get down to the local footy oval and try to kick a goal from the 50m mark with a half ounce jighead with a 4 inch plastic while using 17lb braid on a 6ft rod - Feel free Coz I dont have the skills.

I'll give it another crack but I dont like my chances
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9874.jpg (464.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9872.jpg (422.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-06-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Attention all Aphas users - dont go out and smash your reels with a hammer just yet.

Turns out, when they are finely tuned by a skilled operator - they can do better than 50m with a 6ft rod (54 yards)

And I've still got some wiggle room with my settings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9888.jpg (704.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9887.jpg (452.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 08-06-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Attention all Aphas users - dont go out and smash your reels with a hammer just yet.

Turns out, when they are finely tuned by a skilled operator - they can do better than 50m with a 6ft rod (54 yards)

And I've still got some wiggle room with my settings
High skill = high reward. I dare say you'd get even more distance out of it with more practice.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:20 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

yeah definitely - I've just got to learn how to get a real lure to behave like a bullet through the air, every cast.

I've been concentrating so hard on not getting over runs, that I havent been paying attention to it - but now I can start to concentrate on which casting actions make the lure fly as I want them to - coz a tumbling lure always falls short and tells you, you havent been silky smooth with your action

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-06-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:16 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

If I get time today I might add some eyelets - if I can find them - they're somewhere in the junk pile I call my tool bench

I found those eyelets but it was just another nightmare It turns out what I had were hooks and I had to bend them into shape with pliers - and they were way to big and the pliers left sharp edges

If I used braid straight though, it has a tendency to wrap around the plug as it tumbles on the ground - these wraps weaken the braid and make it more likely to snap while casting - so to get around that, I tied a short trace of 17lb flouro to act as a boom.

But as I was casting for max distance - and having trouble fine tuning a new reel - I had to retie a flouro leader everytime I busted off.

So in the end I was cursing the reel - cursing myself -and cursing the bloke who came up with the eyelet idea

But the next morning, I woke up smarter than I was the day before - so the previous day turned out to be a good one, when viewed from a more philosophical perspective

The photo below shows how bad it got after a few throws with out clips - when I tried lure clips it was much worse

I now see the reason for the twisted wire loops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9881.jpg (543.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9876.jpg (429.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-06-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Big Bream

Other thing is to try a longer rod- better distance, but harder to find in Australia than the little 6 footers. Might defeat the purpose of short range accuracy though
Old 11-06-2017, 02:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamtim View Post
Other thing is to try a longer rod- better distance, but harder to find in Australia than the little 6 footers. Might defeat the purpose of short range accuracy though
Yeah that was my dilemma when choosing the rod - I thought about the spots I plan to use it and accuracy was more important
Old 11-06-2017, 02:43 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamtim View Post
Hate the 5'8" typical rods you find everywhere for sale... Today on the hunt for a 2-4kg for my Curado 50e...

Everything that I could find was 5'8" and around that, the one 6'0" that I found was totally unacceptable quality wise...

May have to go JDM yet again...
Old 11-06-2017, 02:56 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Hate the 5'8" typical rods you find everywhere for sale... Today on the hunt for a 2-4kg for my Curado 50e...

Everything that I could find was 5'8" and around that, the one 6'0" that I found was totally unacceptable quality wise...

Yeah I spose short fishing rods are like short pool cues - If the arena is big enough, you dont need them - but if you are playing in your mates single car garage with filing cabinets and tents in the way - they become indispensable

If the spot I'm fishing doesnt require a long rod - I'd much prefer to cast and retrieve with a short one
Old 11-06-2017, 04:23 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:

Daiwa have a couple at 6'8" & 6'10" in their black label and silver wolf ranges. I'd personally be looking at major craft, however. They have quite a few BFS rods available that are around the 6'6" -6'8" mark that may fit the bill and won't cost as much as Daiwa. I had a 4pc, 3-10lb go emotion that I picked up off the bay for $170 posted and it was a surprisingly good rod for the money- had a perfect taper. Failing that, there are a bunch of JDM Daiwa rockfish rods that are 7'+.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:30 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I'd personally be looking at major craft, however. They have quite a few BFS rods available that are around the 6'6" -6'8" mark that may fit the bill and won't cost as much as Daiwa. I had a 4pc, 3-10lb go emotion that I picked up off the bay for $170 posted and it was a surprisingly good rod for the money- had a perfect taper.
Lets take out all the Daiwa rods out of the equation as done.

Have been looking on the Bay, nothing really going for less than $210.

Got my MC Benkei BF for $180 in store - the last Benkei H I got online on Bay was $169 posted. Seems like its all hiked all of a sudden.

What I am really looking for is something more than bait finesse, and more for natives without going into that broom stick field of 3-7kg and too stiff.

Hard to really comment on feel, but yeh may have to go in store again and look at more Majorcrafts...
Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 AM
Big Bream

not sure what natives you are chasing slazmo but that 6'8 volkey bfs (ml from memory) is a dream. Managed to land a 50cm barra on it and can cast siglets relatively well (i think my limited experience with BC and my reel are more limiting than the rod)

Larry. Lately I have been fishing for jews (and everything really) with the completely opposite theory regarding rod length. Any excuse to break out the 8ft+ sticks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: