Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 16-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_lemess
Hey come on! What I said makes perfect sense! After months of fishing fluorocarbon (don't know why you are making reference to 'cash for comments') out of personal choice, I can safely say that fluorocarbon will come out of snags with less wear and tear than mono. I have learnt this the hard way many a time after listening to people tell me that fluorocarbon is a waste of money because its advantages are minimal. After buying the stuff and using it AND mono, in snaggy country and around mussel encrusted pylons, it is safe to say that I am more confident using fluorocarbon because of its abrasion-resistant properties.

And for your information, I'm not sponsored by the fluorocarbon brand I use, I bought it and paid full price for it, so it truly is out of personal choice that I use the stuff.

Ok?
Sorry Chris, the cash for comment line was not meant in reference to you, I have no idea why you would think that I would think you would be sponsored!!
It was meant in reference to a proper survey being done... Unfortunately when we see a so called survey done on line breaking strains etc, they always seem to be influenced by the manufacturers and or the magazine/personalities loyalties.
As for your opinions on why you prefer flouros to monos, they are perfectly viable but, not definitive.. as no ones can be..

As was mentioned earlier, confidence is the factor which crops up as the best argument.
What you feel most confident in, is what’s best for you.

I have had a interest in the subject of flouros v mono ever since constantly having a flouro fisher on board the boat.
This gives the variable that is sorely missing in this debate, two fishermen fishing in the same boat, in the same territory using the same baits etc but using different leaders.
After countless hours the difference seems to be so negligible that all it finally boils down to is "Confidence in product used".

But this is the kind of talk that this thread was meant to provoke, good stuff.
Richard.
Old 16-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Mature Bream

Re: Flouro

Quote:
Originally posted by bubble
I have run both Flouro and Mono in my pool (ultra clear) and the difference is very noticible.....flouro is harder to detect. I have never had an issue with knots either. All my knots I finish off with a dab of super-glue and that includes when I am chasing bigger fish offshore. Great when chasing flatties as well, great abrasion resistance.
So flouro it is for me and hang the expense....
The problem relating to this kind of analysis is that it is from a humans perception, not the intended targets.
who knows what a fish sees?
Old 16-03-2003, 11:09 AM

Hey guys.
Just a point i'd like to make about the costs. Flouro definately lasts lnoger due to it's toughness. If you buy 200m, and make 1m leaders, that one spool will last a long time. Now, if you by mono (half the price), you get 400m and 400 leaders. Now if the flouro lasts double the time of mono (thereabouts) the cost is the same!!!
having said this, i use mono as i like it's limpness and soft feel (man i sound gay!).
Just a thought.

dave
Old 16-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Blue Lip

Could you guys please specify in your replies the brand of mono you use? Only one said he uses Platipus Platinum. Are there any other brands and types of mono you can recommend as tested and trusted?
Thanks,
Alex

Monster Miki Addict
Old 16-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Big Bream

I've been using Stren MagnaThin.
Old 16-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Big Bream

Penn Powerline is also very good. Cheap, thin, strong, clear and abrasion resistant.
Old 16-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Big Bream

We use Penn Powerline

Mim and I use Penn Powerline and it seems pretty good. I was using Platil Ghost Flouro and although I was hooking Bream I was losing a lot to the line breaking either at the knot to the jig or the double uni. I won't use it again in competition unless the fish shut down. I had 6 hookups in the Franklin River (Walpole) but didn't land one until I retied a powerline leader, I was really annoyed at losing 4 fish. The Platil Ghost Flouro is rated at 3.4 kg but only 0.20mm dia - This is where it was getting me fish as it is very thin and pretty damn hard to see but just too fragile in rough ground.

Last edited by madsurfe; 16-03-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 16-03-2003, 11:33 PM
EnviroJigs

While at Swanfish I was fishing with Bear and noticing he was getting alot of broken knots. I also remember him saying he was using Flurocarb line. Not under normal circumstances I would think that perhaps it was the knot. But after 5 or 6 times it makes you wonder.
Im pretty cofident that he knows how to tie a know so I would put it down to the Fluro.
This is only an observation however. I have never used Flurocarb line before.
Old 16-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Big Bream

JP, I tried that platil stuff too and the knots just kept breaking. I won't go back to it in a hurry. However, I've tried other types of fluoro like the Cortland fly stuff which is good (haven't tried siglon yet as I've never seen it in any tackle shops in Perth).

Still for everyday fishing, I trust the powerline and it has provided results just fine for me.

James
Old 17-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Fishing Tragic

Right there Bubba,
Switched to the Penn Powerline now. One other line I do like and need to get more of is the Fenwick fly leader. Just been too lazy to chase it down, though I must admit, I do like the Penn. Haven't had a problem with it yet and lasts well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 17-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Mature Bream

I am sticking with Flouroflex Plus and Black Magic flourocarbons. Have not had a failure yet. I used some Vanish, once, less said the better on that stuff .
I dunno if the fish see it or not, but after running my own field tests, I will stay with flouro leaders rather than mono.

FATMAN
Old 17-03-2003, 12:57 AM
The Angry Administrator

i`ll say one thing, reading this has made me re-consider my use of Penn powerline.

cheers
Old 17-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Mature Bream

My tried and tested's are Daiwa Triforce 6, 8, and 10lb and also Daiwa Crystal clear, Maxima perfection's not bad also.
But my usual is Triforce in 6lb.
Old 17-03-2003, 02:42 AM
Mature Bream

I just about use mono the whole time for my bream leaders unless fishing really heavy cover like the docklands. For open water i have 2 spools of platil strong st in 4lb + 6.5lb. It is brown in colour and seems to be great in the areas i fish. Dont even know if it is still made?? If i have to go to flouro carbon i use a line called Riverge grand max which is very fine for it's breaking strain. Also when flyfishing i use only flouro carbon leaders and riverge is the only stuff i will use for tippets so it gets used for the bream spinning as well.
Old 17-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Poddy Bream

What's wrong with the Vanish? I just bought some (6lb) the other day...was that a mistake?

I have noticed some wear on the leader (little chips and my first impression gained from using it (without reading anything about it other than its low visibility) was that it was less abrasion resistant than mono.

Lizard