Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > BreamMaster Job Search

BreamMaster Job Search Share Your Skills Here and Let Members Know What You Have to Offer (Moderated Forum)

Closed Thread

Old 28-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Mature Bream

Exclamation Job Search to fit Passion

Hi all

I realise this thread has been brought up before, but it appears it was a couple of years ago and times change. I hope Bear or other Administrators are OK with this thread, if not please let me know immediately.

Okay guys, So I know I ask a lot of questions, but I love learning and gaining valuable useful knowledge.

Heres my question. I'm in desperate need of a part time job which will hopefully turn into a full time job overtime as I am not enjoying/doing to well in high school. At the moment, my parents are desperately pushing for me to get me into University programs early in the Degree of Business and/or Accounting as I excel in this field. I do NOT enjoy this subject at all and after confronting my parents about this... lets just say, i'm so far up DohDohDohDoh creek at this age that its not fair. I'm only 16... My life is not over because I didn't do to well in school.

Yes accounting may bring in the big $$$$$$ but thats not overly important to me. If I get the chance to work in a tackle shop, or anything to do with fishing, then its something that I can enjoy day in and day out, its a passion that I LOVE and will never die. I enjoy learning about fishing all the time, spending countless hours reading on Bream Master in particular and asking hundreds of questions. (Annoying some i'm sure,(Sorry about that)) And with this type of job, I can express my knowledge to new anglers and professionals looking at new areas.

My question to you guys are... Do you know of anyone who can help me get into this industry? I'd love to learn a ton more skills in store and to do with fishing. I'm a bright young man and am looking for a great opportunity to do something I enjoy, and give back to the fishing community.

The areas I'd be able to work are mainly Northern Brisbane suburbs. Sorry If not a lot of information was given here, it was kinda rushed as i'm currently sitting in my Accounting class scanning Bream Master... Lol

Cheers Guys

Michael
Old 28-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Mature Bream

Mate easiest way to get into the tackle industry would be to get some retail skills under your belt before you start looking into working at a small tackle store etc.
Try out the bigger chain stores, they have the ability to hire a lot more staff and have a lot more hours available than smaller independents. Once you have something to offer in terms of skills and salesmanship, start promoting yourself to smaller tackle stores. Alternatively, working in a chain store is a good way to get your foot in the door for management and head office jobs. Still thinking getting a business degree or at least some form of relevant tertiary experience is worth while.
Old 28-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Blue Lip

why would you want to work for someone else when you have the smarts to get a real job?

I would stay in school, go to uni, get real job and earn some money to one day own your own tackle store.

Not sure why anyone would want to work in the tackle industry? full of politics, DohDohDohDohDohing, back stabbing clowns.

I once likened the aus tackle industry to an out of control hens night where the major players dildo duel over who gets the last bacardi breezer,,, or who sell to whom.
Old 28-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Mature Bream

Listen to your parents, do a business degree (accounting I wouldn't do personally). It's good advice.

Making money might not be important now but it is something that you can never get away from and it will shape your future life. Money creates options, more money more options.

I came from a poor family, have made everything for myself, dropped out of university but went to a good school. I have worked my ass off as a consequence. My advice is to do the business degree, then apply what you learn to the tackle industry.

Yes it's not exciting, but when you are making money from what you love (as opposed to just doing it) it will be.
Old 29-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Fingerling

Just noticed this thread and can't help myself from commenting.

I'm sure this won't be a popular post given this is a fishing/tackle forum, but I think it would be remiss not to present both sides of the argument.

A part time job is a great idea, but if you are talking about ultimately ditching school, you really should think about focusing on your education at this age. You only get one shot at year 12 (assuming you don't go back as a mature age student etc) and you really don't want to waste it.

2 years probably seems like a long time at this age and fishing tackle is way cooler than studying, but life is all about options, and if you ditch study or school (not saying that's what you are intending to do) you will have a lot less options later in life.

You say you 'excel in business accounting' studies, that you are a 'bright young man' and your post is also well written. If you are that smart you should be able to do ok at year 12. My advice is to suck it up big guy. For the next two years work hard and finish year 12, and then spend the rest of your life fishing and working at DohDohDoh if that's what you want. At least you'll have the option to do something else later if you choose.

What I would also say is that you are far more valuable to the fishing industry as a skilled worker than you are as a high school drop out. Have you looked at aquaculture (making more fish), engineering (designing rods/reels), or marketing (selling 1000s of lures instead of 1 at a time)? These are all degrees/fields of study that have a lot more importance in the industry if you want to learn more and 'give something back'.

Again this may not be a popular opinion and no offence to any chaps out there working in tackle shops, just my take on this particular case.

Last edited by riblau; 29-07-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Just noticed this is a rather popular opinion....
Old 29-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennno View Post
Listen to your parents, do a business degree (accounting I wouldn't do personally). It's good advice.

Making money might not be important now but it is something that you can never get away from and it will shape your future life. Money creates options, more money more options.

I came from a poor family, have made everything for myself, dropped out of university but went to a good school. I have worked my ass off as a consequence. My advice is to do the business degree, then apply what you learn to the tackle industry.

Yes it's not exciting, but when you are making money from what you love (as opposed to just doing it) it will be.
This ^^

Working full time in a tackle store is not for everyone.

Would happily recommend working there part time while you're at uni (which is what I did).

I was young, very enthusiastic, got to play with new lures and reels every week, the experience was great - but i personally couldn't do it my whole life.

If you have the opportunity to go to uni and do a business degree, would strongly recommend it - but as Benno said, would not recommend doing an Accounting degree.

Too many accounting grads, not enough decent jobs out there. And the ones out there aren't paying well at all.

Good luck with it all and yell out if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Paul

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 29-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Big Bream

You will get sick of retail really quickly. Granted school sucks, I spent my time fart assing around and having fun, and still wouldn't change it, got a fairly rubbish result. Did a year of tafe which was like school. It sucked, was there all day every week (or drinking at the pub ) got a diploma of business which fortunately took one year off my uni degree and am now on my last year of uni having studied marketing and advertising and trust me uni is easy, you will have a lot of time to fish and go out while still working but then the end result will be far greater then just knocking off school and working.

If you find yourself good at accounting stick with it, it really can take you anywhere cause every industry needs accountants. Your better off studying while your young then trying to go back and study when your older and you have more commitments. .

Visit my blog for trip reports and pictures
Old 29-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Mature Bream

Honestly listen to your parents and do your business degree then open your own store or do something else, I have seen it said many times you should keep your passion and job seperate,if you have a talent for business don't waste it working for someone else.
Old 29-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Fingerling

I used to think that the best job in the world must be in a job you love doing as a hobby. Guess what, chances are - its not. That much loved hobby becomes - a job.
Well, there are the rare exceptions of course...

To me the best jobs in the world, after taking care of the needs of the real world, family, bills, etc. lets you afford and enjoy your hobbies in both time and money. Time to get out there and fish, and money to get what you need to fish.
Old 29-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Mature Bream

my advice would be if u really hate school, which a lot of us did, would not be going into a part time job etc ( unless this is just to fill in a bit of time ) but would be to go out abnd get a trade, if I was to recommend a trade id say and electrician as a great way to 1 - do a trade, 2 - earn good money doing so, and 3 - endless opportunities after u finish your time with one being running your own business

I sometimes even think about doing now as a 32 year old then looking at going down that same route. as being a boilermaker I cant see it being worth it to start a business in that trade,

one reason I say if u hate it then to me maybe its not worth 2 years to them be in the position of not using that extra schooling once its done, we have an apprentice that did really well at school and did year 12 to then not want to take it further etc and now hes just a boilermaker, in the end a waste of that schooling for him

just my 2 bobs worth mate, cheers clay
Old 29-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Mature Bream

Wow guys, I didn't expect is to be so negative about working in the Aussie Tackle Industry.

First up 'Jords' - Thank you for your input mate. I have emailed some of the 'bigger' chain stores with my inquires. And that Business degree hmmmm Im currently also completing a cert III in Business, I've completed my Cert I in Business already. I'll see where it takes me after completing the III as to wether I go to university..

'Piranha' - I'd call working in a tacklestore a real job.. Yeah you might not have many skills on 'paper'(qualifications), but you still have a real job that earns you money in my opinion. And it shouldn't be just a job... this goes to everyone.. It should be something that you are good at, enjoy and can contribute back to the community with

'Bennno' - I see where you are coming from my friend. Still in a head spin about doing the Business degree, but it looks like a lot of you are suggesting it.

'riblau' - First of all, thank you for the most in-depth answer I received. As i'd like to say to everyone... My life is just beginning, I do not believe it will be over if I leave and try and get work.. Look at what Bill Gates was able to do? May I just say. Everyone has their opinions. Just because someone looks good on their exam papers, doesn't mean they have common sense, quick learning abilities, the brains to adept and overcome problems, sense of humour and great customer involvement does it? Thankyou for your input mate, much appreciated

'Ruski' - Thats actually the first time i've heard that about accounting. And i'm very grateful for that piece you shared!

'Tom156' - Hmmm Its nice to hear it from someone in the same sort of position, thanks my friend

'Alexc123 & Abuthen' - I don't quite understand how people DON'T make their jobs their passion. If I don't enjoy something, i'll put no effort into it...

'Clay' - Hey Clay, thanks for that bud, a sparky has been an option for a while and at this rate it may open up a lot further for myself thanks
Old 29-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Fingerling

hey buddy it might be a bit of a shock but I think you have to be lucky to get a job doing
something your passionate about +1 to you if u can. I knew nothing
about my trade when I started as a boily but after 10yrs in steel industry
just bout to finish second trade as machinist and loving it. I'll I can say is don't be a fool stay in school. or get a trade = endless options anywhere,
cheers Ben

Last edited by bennyg; 29-07-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 29-07-2013, 04:47 AM
Mature Bream

I was in the exact same position as you 2 years ago. I ended up moving to Tasmania and im now a year in to a 4 year bachelor in Ocean engineering and its great! great course and all the fishing you could ever hope for!
Every week i go to class for 3 days with mad keen fisho's, and spent every weekend chasing bream! and down here they are thick!

http://www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 29-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanhenness View Post
I was in the exact same position as you 2 years ago. I ended up moving to Tasmania and im now a year in to a 4 year bachelor in Ocean engineering and its great! great course and all the fishing you could ever hope for!
Every week i go to class for 3 days with mad keen fisho's, and spent every weekend chasing bream! and down here they are thick!
Looking at doing a similar course when I finish school, what does it involve
Old 29-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5am1eys View Post
Looking at doing a similar course when I finish school, what does it involve
Lots of Maths and Physics!!

Geneo Kustoms
http://geneokustoms.com/
Closed Thread