Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
Haha...we call them 'drain prawns'. Even better are the rare 'blue pearlers'��
(I could tell you where to get emy but the 'Secret Society for Rare & Endangered Blueys' would stitch me up big time����)
Yeah Victoria has a "Perch Mafia" but they are a bunch of "razzle dazzle wayne kerrs" compared to the "Yabbie Mafia". The difference between the 2 is - the "Yabbie Mafia" dont warn you before they set your car on fire
Old 12-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Big Bream

Bristlenose are tropical. It doesn't look like you have a heater YD? It's bloody cold in Melbourne at the moment
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Bristlenose are tropical. It doesn't look like you have a heater YD? It's bloody cold in Melbourne at the moment
ahh dammit - the office room temp is set to 22 degrees according to the thermostat - but I'm not sure if its switched off over night.

The tank is not heated - is there another species that would suck glass in 22 degrees (air temperature)?

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Just did a quick google search and it says they like water temps between 20 and 27 degrees - (other sources say 16 to 28 degrees) I'll bring a thermometer to work and see what the water temp is. Its feels warm to the touch, and if I was guessing I'd say it was over 20 degrees. Its a hell of alot warmer than tap water at this time of year

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Just did a quick google search and it says they like water temps between 20 and 27 degrees - (other sources say 16 to 28 degrees) I'll bring a thermometer to work and see what the water temp is. Its feels warm to the touch, and if I was guessing I'd say it was over 20 degrees. Its a hell of alot warmer than tap water at this time of year
Around 20 degrees would be fine. A little warmer would be ideal but they're tough. If it's too cold you can get a couple of Gyronicheilus aymonieri (I think they just call them 'sucking catfish' in the pet shops). They come in a natural green/browny colour or a gold morph that most shops call 'golden suckers'. They're not quite as efficient as bristlenose but they'll do the job. Get them small as they eat more algae when they're younger. Oh and they're super cheap.

Last edited by Broomstick; 13-08-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:50 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Around 20 degrees would be fine. A little warmer would be ideal but they're tough. If it's too cold you can get a couple of Gyronicheilus aymonieri (I think they just call them 'sucking catfish' in the pet shops). They come in a natural green/browny colour or a gold morph that most shops call 'golden suckers'. They're not quite as efficient as bristlenose but they'll do the job. Get them small as they eat for algae when they're younger. Oh and they're super cheap.
Thanks for the info - I just a called my local pet store and they are selling 2cm long bristle nose for $8 each. Does this sound reasonable
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Mature Bream

bristlenose will survive without a heater there pretty tough, I knew a bloke who was breeding fish commercially and he didn't use a heater in his bristlenose tank, their tank was in an uninsulated garage so it got pretty cold in that garage during winter.As for price a 70mm model maybe five to ten bucks your probably better off grabbing four little guys and growing em up and selling what you don't want back to the fish shop.Also if ya don't feed em too much they,ll hammer the algae hard, if you wanna feed em up a piece of boiled pumpkin skin with about an inch of flesh left on works well.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
bristlenose will survive without a heater there pretty tough, I knew a bloke who was breeding fish commercially and he didn't use a heater in his bristlenose tank, their tank was in an uninsulated garage so it got pretty cold in that garage during winter.As for price a 70mm model maybe five to ten bucks your probably better off grabbing four little guys and growing em up and selling what you don't want back to the fish shop.Also if ya don't feed em too much they,ll hammer the algae hard, if you wanna feed em up a piece of boiled pumpkin skin with about an inch of flesh left on works well.
Ahh ok cool - I've just found a bloke on Gumtree (thanks to the people who reccommened Gum-Tree) who is selling them for $3 each - I'm waiting on his reply. I'll grab 4 little fellas and let them go to town.

They only get the pumpkin if I have to clean the tank myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2165.jpg (98.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 13-08-2016, 01:57 AM
Blue Lip

Might have to look into these fish myself ... This is the kids tank 4 days after cleaning and 30% water change - the algae goes nuts in this tank for some reason

Old 13-08-2016, 05:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Might have to look into these fish myself ... This is the kids tank 4 days after cleaning and 30% water change - the algae goes nuts in this tank for some reason
]
Yeah I'd say you have it a bit worse than me - those Bristle nose will think they've died and gone to heaven
Old 14-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Blue Lip

I think Bristle nose are a tropical fish so u may need a heater Larry they will as others have mentioned clean your glass, however with everything there's balance if there not enough algae to sustain they start eating your aquarium plants then u have to buy purpose plant based feed for the BNC then the algae get ignored. The biggest pain is they swim around with a holier than thou attitude and brag that they are vegan.
Good place to buy Aquarium fish is a shop near the corner of North Rd and Warrigal Rd on Warrigal rd (north of intersection) u can also get your bike washed at kittens whilst you're there . There's also another one in Richmond that's pretty reasonable New Life Aquarium (Lithgow Street)
Old 14-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Around 20 degrees would be fine. A little warmer would be ideal but they're tough. If it's too cold you can get a couple of Gyronicheilus aymonieri (I think they just call them 'sucking catfish' in the pet shops). They come in a natural green/browny colour or a gold morph that most shops call 'golden suckers'. They're not quite as efficient as bristlenose but they'll do the job. Get them small as they eat more algae when they're younger. Oh and they're super cheap.
omly one problem is once they get the taste of fish food, they will harrass all the other fish and gobble up all the fishfood, insted of eating the algae

ive got some bristlenoses in my tank, along with some neon tetras.
the heater makes them breed better id say.
ive had countless number of babies in there and just take them to the local aquarium in exchange for some food or other fish.

i have neglected the now for almost a year or more, they are still in there but not as prolific as they used to be
Old 14-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Big Bream

yellow door,
you can have some of mine free if your in south eastern suburbs mate,
not worth the hassle otherwise with travel time etc.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:38 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
I think Bristle nose are a tropical fish so u may need a heater Larry they will as others have mentioned clean your glass, however with everything there's balance if there not enough algae to sustain they start eating your aquarium plants then u have to buy purpose plant based feed for the BNC then the algae get ignored. The biggest pain is they swim around with a holier than thou attitude and brag that they are vegan.
Good place to buy Aquarium fish is a shop near the corner of North Rd and Warrigal Rd on Warrigal rd (north of intersection) u can also get your bike washed at kittens whilst you're there . There's also another one in Richmond that's pretty reasonable New Life Aquarium (Lithgow Street)
Lol - those Hipster Cat-fish will fit right in at my work. I had some vegans trying to shut my tank down. I told them it was illegal to release goldfish into the wild but I would happily kill them and chuck them in the compost bin if it made them feel better. It was the sort of ethical dilemma they werent quite prepared for

Thanks for the tip on New Life - I gave them a call and they're $5 each ($3 cheaper than the other aquarium shop I mentioned).

I'm also waiting to hear back from a couple of blokes on Gumtree who sort of have them available but they are getting jerked around by other buyers. So I'll give it a week.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 14-08-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 14-08-2016, 11:40 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
yellow door,
you can have some of mine free if your in south eastern suburbs mate,
not worth the hassle otherwise with travel time etc.
Mate those are the sort of prices I was after Thanks Heaps - I'll drop you a pm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: