Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 24-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Poddy Bream

Honda

Ok i was just wondering why there seems to be no love for the Honda

outboards is it price , reliability , speed or you just don't like the color ?

cheers T
Old 24-02-2016, 08:05 AM
Blue Lip

Cost, weight and dealer network.

Reliability is generally outstanding and speed isn't horrible.

We looked at a few Honda options for the Bonito but the Suzuki was a better buy for us.

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 24-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Blue Lip

Weight killed it for me even before I started looking at price.

Its a work in progress
Old 24-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Poddy Bream

the thing i like is the 7 year warranty
Old 26-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Poddy Bream

Not sure what size you may be considering, my 50hp with EFI is a great motor. I have had a yammy and johnson on previous boats, both two strokes, my yammy was good. The Johnson you would choke on the smoke when it first started. You only need to take the cowling cover off to see that the Honda guys have put some serious thought into having everything arranged very neatly. The wiring is brilliant. Can't complain about the servicing or the dealers here. They may be a bit more expensive to buy, but if you consider the higher price and lower servicing costs then they stack up well over the warranty period. My motor ranged from $180 -$250 to service with the first service free. It is out of warranty now so I do all servicing myself e.g. gear, motor oil etc. I am no marine mechanic but it ain't that difficult if you have some experience in this area. I have carried a spare water pump impeller kit with me for the past 5 years and had expected that it would have crapped itself by now, but it is still pumping water well. I had to replace my previous motors impeller kits at least once every two years. So unless something serious happens, the dealer will not be seeing me again. I do change the engine oil every 50 hours rather than the scheduled 100hrs. It may be just me but I consider good oil with frequent changes is the key to long engine life. I have an old 2001 commodore, which is now my daughters car ( P Plate ) that I change the oil in regularly and it now has 357,000 k's on it and still going with no probs at all.
Old 26-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman1 View Post
Not sure what size you may be considering, my 50hp with EFI is a great motor. I have had a yammy and johnson on previous boats, both two strokes, my yammy was good. The Johnson you would choke on the smoke when it first started. You only need to take the cowling cover off to see that the Honda guys have put some serious thought into having everything arranged very neatly. The wiring is brilliant. Can't complain about the servicing or the dealers here. They may be a bit more expensive to buy, but if you consider the higher price and lower servicing costs then they stack up well over the warranty period. My motor ranged from $180 -$250 to service with the first service free. It is out of warranty now so I do all servicing myself e.g. gear, motor oil etc. I am no marine mechanic but it ain't that difficult if you have some experience in this area. I have carried a spare water pump impeller kit with me for the past 5 years and had expected that it would have crapped itself by now, but it is still pumping water well. I had to replace my previous motors impeller kits at least once every two years. So unless something serious happens, the dealer will not be seeing me again. I do change the engine oil every 50 hours rather than the scheduled 100hrs. It may be just me but I consider good oil with frequent changes is the key to long engine life. I have an old 2001 commodore, which is now my daughters car ( P Plate ) that I change the oil in regularly and it now has 357,000 k's on it and still going with no probs at all.
you got that right i have seen it on most of them as a mate has a HONDA dealership .

and i am looking at a the new fuel injected 40 for a 4.2m bluefin yep i know it ain't a bass or bream boat but i am on a tight budget so it will be doing my 1st love (bream in the Mitchell river) and off shore from lakes entrance as well as the gippy lakes .
Old 26-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Mature Bream

The standard propeller for the Honda is a 13 pitch, make sure you change it to a 11.
Old 26-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik View Post
The standard propeller for the Honda is a 13 pitch, make sure you change it to a 11.
what will this do? , just asking?
Old 26-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik View Post
narh mate it is already banging on the limiter at 57 kph , before i pick it up it will need a bigger prop not smaller

Last edited by Tackleberry; 28-02-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: