Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Blue Lip

Maybe some of these as well...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MR BEAN MATCHSTICKS.jpg (61.0 KB, 1 views)

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Old 23-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Blue Lip

...Or even some of these to go with those lips, while you're sleeping on your head-holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larry.jpg (66.6 KB, 248 views)

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Old 24-02-2017, 01:29 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
no leotard?
There hasnt been a leotard built that can contain the beast they call "Big Fish"
Old 24-02-2017, 01:52 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
Maybe some of these as well...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
...Or even some of these to go with those lips, while you're sleeping on your head-holder.
I've found if I just sleep in and rock up to work at around 11am, I have no need for "Work day, hang-over assists"
Old 24-02-2017, 02:03 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

What do you do if you drive a screw into your hand and the work first aid kit has "Homebrand" Coles band aids in it -(their adhesion is similar to that of Glad Wrap).....

you improvise......

A couple of dabs of super glue at either end will keep the dust out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 538.jpg (108.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 24-02-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 24-02-2017, 04:22 AM
Blue Lip

Put the super glue on the wound then you don't need a band aid
Old 24-02-2017, 07:53 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr perch View Post
Put the super glue on the wound then you don't need a band aid

Yeah I always thought superglue was the second best option for treating a wound. But I'd never really looked into it

But after spending 10 mins googling the pro and cons - I may never get stitches again.

The pro's are you can do it yourself - no need to visit a doctor - you dont have to get a needle stuck into an already painful area - you avoid multiple expensive check up visits - and the process is virtually painless.

The cons are - if you dont clean your hands and the wound thoroughly, you may be closing a dirty wound which may get infected - and you may die

So I'll give super glue a crack next time

P.S. I was fishing with a bloke who cuts people for a living, the other day and he had to chop someones leg off at the knee because of a flathead spine.

He reckoned the wound got infected and the bloke left it way too long before seeking medical help. So there are pro's and cons to treating your own wounds

Here's the basics on wound care

And a slightly longer version

Last edited by yellow door 1; 24-02-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 27-02-2017, 09:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

And if you like gluing stuff together - this review might be of interest

Old 01-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Mature Bream

yeah ive superglued a decent gash back together before it works good but farrrr k it burns like hell!!! heals up okay heard rumours it was made for soldiers in Vietnam to patch up wounds.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
yeah ive superglued a decent gash back together before it works good but farrrr k it burns like hell!!! heals up okay heard rumours it was made for soldiers in Vietnam to patch up wounds.
Yeah it warmed up my unbroken skin aswell. But only just warmed it up

"Note: It should be noted here that while Super Glue was originally invented by accident thanks to WWII, it was not, as a popular urban legend tells, accidentally discovered by soldiers in WWII who then subsequently began using it to seal up battle wounds. Rather, it was discovered as described above and didn’t hit the public market until well after WWII had ended."

The rest of the story, including why you shouldnt mix super glue and cotton wool, is as follows.................................

"Today I found out Super Glue was invented by accident, twice.

Super Glue, also known as cyanoacrylate, was originally discovered in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover, who by the way died last month on March 26th, 2011. Coover was attempting to make clear plastic gun sights to be put on guns used by Allied soldiers in WWII. One particular formulation he came up with didn’t work well for gun sights, but worked fantastically as an extremely quick bonding adhesive. Surprisingly, despite the commercial potential of such a product, Coover abandoned that formulation completely as it obviously wasn’t suitable for his current project, being too sticky.

Nine years later, in 1951, now working at Eastman Kodak, Dr. Coover was the supervisor of a project looking at developing a heat resistant acrylate polymer for jet canopies. Fred Joyner was working on that project and at one point used the rediscovered Super Glue and tested it by spreading ethyl cyanoacrylate between a pair of refractometer prisms. To his surprise, the prisms became stuck very solidly together. This time, Coover did not abandoned the cyanoacrylate (Super Glue), rather, he realized the great potential of a product that would quickly bond to a variety of materials and only needed a little water to activate, which generally is provided in the materials to be bonded themselves.

Super Glue was finally put on the market in 1958 by Eastman Kodak and was called the slightly less catchy name of “Eastman #910”, though they later re-named it “Super Glue”. Eastman #910 was soon licensed to Loctite who then re-branded it again to a somewhat uninspired name of “Loctite Quick Set 404”. Although, they later developed their own version, calling it “Super Bonder”. By the 1970s, numerous manufactures of cyanoacrylate glues had popped up, with Eastman Kodak, Loctite, and Permabond accounting for around 3/4 of all “Super Glue” sales.

Note: It should be noted here that while Super Glue was originally invented by accident thanks to WWII, it was not, as a popular urban legend tells, accidentally discovered by soldiers in WWII who then subsequently began using it to seal up battle wounds. Rather, it was discovered as described above and didn’t hit the public market until well after WWII had ended.

Interestingly though, according to its creator, Dr. Harry Coover, Super Glue actually was used in the Vietnam War to help close up wounds on soldiers while they were being transported to hospitals to then receive stitches. Today, a form of cyanoacrylate is often used in place of or in conjunction with traditional sutures.

If you liked this article, you might also enjoy subscribing to our new Daily Knowledge YouTube channel, as well as:

Teflon was Invented by Accident
Post-It Notes Were Invented By Accident
Silly Putty was Invented by Accident
The Accidental Invention of the Chocolate Chip Cookie

Bonus Facts:

Applying Super Glue to cotton or wool results in a rapid chemical reaction that releases enough heat to cause minor burns, so typically this should be avoided. However, if enough cyanoacrylate is added to the cotton or wool, the fabric will catch on fire, making this a great trick to keep in mind in survival situations. Generally, cotton and wool are readily available and cyanoacrylate is always a good thing to have on hand in first aid kits, due to its wound sealing ability. So if you ever find yourself lost in the woods with nothing but a first aid kit and no other easy means to start a fire, this little trick might help you out.
While Super Glue + cotton or wool can create enough heat to cause a flame, Super Glue + other materials also will cause heat. This is thanks to the process of anionic polymerization that the glue undergoes as it bonds. Because of this, if you put enough Super Glue on your finger, you can actually burn yourself that way too, without any other materials necessary.
Super Glue really is “super”. A one square inch bonding of Super Glue can hold around one ton. In fact, Super Glue has even been used to bond a small surface area of metal attached to a crane, which was then glued to the top of a car. The car was then lifted successfully by the crane without the bond breaking.
Coover didn’t just invent Super Glue, but also held the patents to over 460 other inventions. He also developed a unique “programmed innovation” method which he implemented at Kodak and which resulted in a remarkable 320 new products being developed under his supervision while he was at Kodak. During that span, those products helped raise Kodak’s annual revenue from $1.8 billion to $2.5 billion. He later left Kodak and formed a consulting group that would teach businesses his programmed innovation methods.
Super Glue adheres nearly instantly when it comes in contact with the hydroxyl ions in water. When this happens, the molecules form chains that make a very strong and durable plastic mesh that eventually hardens. Thanks to the fact that an amazing amount of materials out there have some trace amount of water at their surface, in part due to water in the air, adding water to these objects is typically not necessary, though it can help create a stronger bond if you add some before applying the Super Glue.
As mentioned above, research has shown that a form of Super Glue actually does make a great wound closure agent and, in fact, on many smaller types of wounds, outperforms traditional suturing by: reducing the chances of infection; being quicker to apply and seal the wound; and reducing negative cosmetic side effects.
The name “Kodak” was devised by Eastman and his mother, playing with an anagram set. They were looking for a name that adhered to three principles: short; cannot be mispronounced; and should not resemble anything or be associated with anything else except for the business that would eventually be called by that name.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:21 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

If you have a reputation as a master craftsman, who can work miracles with reclaimed timber on a lunch break - things can get out of hand quickly.

Here's todays effort - found some bed slats on the way to work - bloke sees them and says he wants a planters box - too easy I says

A chick sees his planters box and says - I want a planters box - too easy I says.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 534.jpg (95.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Mature Bream

more productive during your lunchbreaks than outside them?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:26 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
I want a planters box - too easy I says.
Found a few spare minutes to add the fence paling base today - (Removable just in case it rots, as per clients request)

I asked - why dont you want to water proof it?

He answered - I'm trying to recreate a bit of the MCG on my balcony and I dont want any sealants to poison the dirt.

This obsession with grass is officially out of hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 533.jpg (103.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 531.jpg (110.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 05:09 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
more productive during your lunchbreaks than outside them?
I have been accused of that in the past

As is expected - every new "operations manager" that breezes into the joint looks at what I do and doesnt quite understand it.

It only takes a couple of "quarterly employee appraisals" for them to realize that I cant be judged by my methods - only my results

Old 04-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Poddy Bream

Most of the wound care advice sounds reasonable. Only bit I will add is I would not wash a wound with soap and would not routinely use antibiotic ointment in wounds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: