Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Csiro getting called out for Dodgy science - Carp Virus

https://www.facebook.com/10001897860...4337312875554/
Old 07-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Mature Bream

Sure. And 9/11 was in inside job.

CyHV1 acts upon genes only present in Cyprinus carpio. This virus has been tested all over the world in hundreds of institutions as well as in the wild and the results are always consistent: Cyprinus carpio and some hybrids involving it are the only taxa affected by the virus. Some very closely related species (none native to Australia) can be vectors. This includes goldfish, grass carp, and tench though even these close relatives of the carp are asymptomatic and seemingly unaffected.

The presence of virus doesnt indicate infection. You have millions of virus particles on you right now.

Gill necrosis exists in unhealthy fish. This is a non-specific symptom that you would expect to see in a population of fish given half have died.

The study is still horrible in my opinion and should have failed ethics approval as clearly the CSIRO have suffered from the massive cuts and restructures that have plagued government science-based organisations in recent years.

I will find the paper when I get some time and report back. I'm interested to know whether they had controls (i.e. some fish injected with saline instead of virus) to see how much the injection of matter influenced death rates. I can't imagine an experiment like this without such a control and yet there was no mention in that video.

Last edited by Joely; 07-08-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:03 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joely View Post

The study is still horrible in my opinion and should have failed ethics approval
I've decided to follow the CSIRO scientific method and just cherry pick the info that suits my agenda. From this I can only conclude you are in 100% agreeance and the other stuff you said was irrelevant coz you were a bit hot and bothered.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 AM
Blue Lip

So what do they stand to gain by implimenting if it meant ignoring their own science?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
So what do they stand to gain by implimenting if it meant ignoring their own science?
Yeah thats what I want to know - I'm tipping its got something to do with "Pepe Silvia"

Old 08-08-2018, 05:27 AM
Blue Lip

Haha. I like it. Not sure how it applies though. I just dont know why a group that i will assume have a certain level of environmental conscience would support a program that they thought would have a negative impact.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Haha. I like it. Not sure how it applies though. I just dont know why a group that i will assume have a certain level of environmental conscience would support a program that they thought would have a negative impact.
Yeah you tell me and we'll both know
Old 08-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Mature Bream

Carp virus is a bad idea. Let's say it doesn't affect native other species , what about the clean up of dead fish, 1000kms of rivers and lake shores.
Following that what about the % of carp that are immune, won't they build up a population again like rabbits.
Disaster waiting to happen.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Mature Bream

Juzza, those are valid criticisms. As are blackwater events, economic issues, impacts on businesses and koi societies etc. I couldnt care less about some of those but they should still be taken into consideration unlike the preposterous suggestion in the video above.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I wonder if restocking native predators has much of an impact.

I reckon spending millions to breed a strain of super cod is where we should be heading
Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Mature Bream

For every order of trophic level (i.e. up the food chain) you go, less biomass occupies that level. For example you need millions of grasses to support hundreds of impala and one pack of lions. Biological controls that work off predation seldom work by themselves but can help in a multi pronged approach.

If the carp virus is released then in my opinion there should be decades of restocking set in place, ranging from small glass shrimp right up to murray cod.
Old 13-08-2018, 04:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joely View Post
For every order of trophic level (i.e. up the food chain) you go, less biomass occupies that level. For example you need millions of grasses to support hundreds of impala and one pack of lions. Biological controls that work off predation seldom work by themselves but can help in a multi pronged approach.

If the carp virus is released then in my opinion there should be decades of restocking set in place, ranging from small glass shrimp right up to murray cod.
Yeah I spose if predators were the answer - they'd already be doing the job.

Here a little bit of info on how the virus effects English carp venues

rest of the article here

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/k...form=hootsuite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 651.jpg (65.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 23-11-2018, 07:31 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

The co-ordinator in charge of a national program to give wild carp herpes resigned last night amid concerns the country does not know enough about the effects of the virus in natural waterways.

National Carp Control Plan co-ordinator Matt Barwick resigned and team members, including those on various advisory committees, were alerted by email last night. He was in charge when the $15m program was delayed last month.
The news comes almost a week after The Weekend Australian revealed new research from one of the program’s scientific advisers showed the radical idea would not work — because the fish can outbreed the virus within two years — and that “big questions” remained over its application in the wild.

Giving carp herpes was one of the signature Barnaby Joyce policies when he was Minister for Agriculture and he told this newspaper last week that the virus was meant to be released into the wild this year and should not have been delayed.

He said then: “So what if the carp breed too quickly? Will they breed faster than if they were dead?”

The new research, published by University of Sydney Associate Professor Joy Becker in Australian Zoologist raised even more questions about the viability of the project.

“Knowing what we know now, I have strong reservations about moving forward,” Professor Becker said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (133.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 23-11-2018, 08:43 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

The plot thickens......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (97.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 26-11-2018, 04:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

https://tasmaniantimes.com/2018/11/h...LVQQWVFJFoRqtc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (140.2 KB, 0 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: