Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 16-12-2017, 03:00 AM
Big Bream

15 Twinpower 2500S v New sustain 2500

Does anyone have any opinions on which of these reels would be a better buy. Price wise they are both around the $350 mark. I plan on spooling up with PE.8
line on whichever I get. I don't mind either of the retrieve ratios but am after the reel that will be smooth and stay smooth. I have got my hands on the sustain which felt pretty good but not the twinpower. Thanks.
Old 16-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Mature Bream

We purchased a couple of 3000 Twinpowers when they were first released and to my mind a bit of a disappointment for the money.
Line roller failures in both inside of 12 months and recently the failure of the friction ring underneath the rotor. Shimano have not been very helpful with repair so we have had to find ways to fix these issues ourselves.
Thats the bad the good is that they seem to work well and smoothly under pressure and work well to this day despite the issues we have had with them.
I may stand to be corrected but i have not seen the 2015 Twinpower for sale anywhere for some time seemingly withdrawn from sale. I think they are still available OS
Old 16-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
I have got my hands on the sustain which felt pretty good but not the twinpower. Thanks.
Neither reel is an exclusive design or feature rich reel imho. The TP based off the FI Stella which hasnt been a global success and the Sustain which is based on the Stradic FK platform with minor part swaps and a lick of paint and price increase.

To honestly ask which reel is going to stay smooth, its easier for me to ask you what coloured sparkle unicorn do you want?

This smooth business is a hard one to maintain, due to people not keeping reels in tolerance throughout their lives, as soon as bearings wear its a culminated whole of slop all contributing to wear throughout a reel and thats a spiral towards roughness.

Keeping things in check with bearings is hard as what one companies Abec rating is doesn't always mean Abec on anothers... Buying the highest price bearings doesnt always means quality either.

Then machining tollerance on the reels manufacturing line comes into play, the machine actually doing the work has to stay in play, one TP will be great and another will be absolutely sloppy... For instance the SW Stella thats on my Shimano FB page with the handle and screw in shaft slop / bias - Shimano told the poor guy its acceptable...

Then its human error on the production line - theyre human after all and on a deadline to assemble...

So there are a multitude of all these variables / variances in all aspects - honestly you need to go find a retailer, pull half a dozen reels out spin them and test for slop at the beginning to find the tightest one which (may or may not) give you the best life coupled with servicing and routine maintenance.

Sevric,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Line roller failures in both inside of 12 months.
Screenshot_20171217-071309.jpg

Depending on use / frequency and how wet these get that's a good innings especially for a factory bearing. If the LRB from the Stella is used in the TP, the bearing can be brutally punched from the outer line roller the seating (green locktite) compound removed and a new bearing gently seated saving all sorts of grief and future replacement costs.

If its the same bearing design say out of the FK (which looks the same) - ditch it and get a FI Stella line roller and when the time comes do as i said as above...

FK LRB for comparison.
Screenshot_20171217-073601.jpg

Quote:
recently the failure of the friction ring underneath the rotor..
Screenshot_20171217-071332.jpg

Shimano would've just removed it like they do with all Stella's they get. The friction ring that i can see should be the harder black rubber like in the Stradic range - why that let go is beyond me. Did they send it back or just remove it without your concent?

You could replace with a Stradic friction sleeve, they're very durable.

Quote:
Shimano have not been very helpful with repair so we have had to find ways to fix these issues ourselves.
Well i helped you there as much as i could...

In this light, I recently went through a multi call and email backwards and forwards game all to come up empty handed... in the end I've just given up all over a $30 replacement part... like why f***ing bother accepting calls from the public if you can't bother helping?

The amount of troubleshooting and effort i go to at work is stupid beyond fact, that the team i am part of go above and beyond to resolve questions about products and ability to interact other items to a point of custom - where others just can't be bothered to go the extra mile for a customer.

Last edited by Slazmo; 16-12-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 16-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Mature Bream

"Shimano would've just removed it like they do with all Stella's they get. The friction ring that i can see should be the harder black rubber like in the Stradic range - why that let go is beyond me. Did they send it back or just remove it without your concent?"

Thanks for the detailed reply slazmo. Not wishing to hijack the thread so i will make a brief comment / explanation. I renewed both line rollers at my cost and from that point i disregarded their "CORE PROTECT" on the line roller hogwash and started treating the line rollers as i would all others with a drop of oil and rotating following a clean after fishing. No problems since. The friction washer on one failed giving a few problems casting and when i rang Shimano for replacement was told they do not carry stock and simply leave the part out. I went to my supply of "O" Rings and inserted one in place of the original part and it worked a treat.
Enough of hijacking this thread on DrLuvski , As to which is the better smoothest of the two reels mentioned well i do not know.
Old 17-12-2017, 02:56 AM
Big Bream

Thanks slazmo and sevric for the detailed responses. Yep, the twinpower would be ordered form OS. The sustain I could pick up locally and at least get a feel of the exact one I'll be buying.
Old 17-12-2017, 05:04 AM
Mature Bream

It is always a perplexing question; which reel. For me there is simply to much misinformation, misleading information, simply to much hype which for the most part is simply crap. My wife and i are not brand sensitive or loyal to any camp simply purchasing the best we can afford at the time although we probably have more Daiwa Certate than Stellas if that makes any sense. I am sure the new Sustain will be equally as good as the Twinpower. Most likely they are very similar under the skin
Old 17-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Big Bream

Yep, its hardly a life changing decision. Sure there isn't too much in it between them both based on what you and slazmo have said.
Old 18-12-2017, 07:06 AM
Blue Lip

I mean for gods sake the Sustain should be more of a reel than it is - as it stands its ever so slightly up spec'd than the FK Stradic - as to prior years. For the sake of the the Magnumlite (Ci4) rotor and a couple of bearings and come cosmetic changes its pretty on par on all fronts IMHO.

Fark you want to make a proper spec'd Sustain you make the gear case side from Ci4+, give it the two extra worm drive bearings and really make it a good go at changing it from just a smidgen better than the Stradic; that also means give the main drive gear a facelift with say the better coatings available too boot. For the difference you pay for what perceivable upgrades you get its simply not worth it - simply unless you want a black FK...

I'm hinged on the reality that the world has too much to choose from - simplified ranges and clear definable upgrades with proper meaningful science to back them up needs to be concentrated on. But society these days isnt about that life and I'm seen as "weird" for suggesting it...

If you've got a dozen reels with minuscule upgraded bits in them and the range / spread of price is overly inflated due to them it spins my gears.

"If" this were my choice I'd be influenced on needs vs wants and ability to apply these reels over a varied spread of applications to het the most out of it / them and your dollars spent.

The TP may be more of a want than a need in this case?
Old 18-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Big Bream

The TP may be more of a want than a need in this case?[/QUOTE]if

Yep you are probably correct. Saying that If I wasn't driven by getting the reel that I want rather than need I'd probably still be buying and using the Siennas that I first started on and still caught fish with.

I know what you mean though. The 2500 Stradic FK would probably meet my need ( a decent reel at around 240 grams) and at $180 (Best I can find) probably a pretty good buy.
Old 19-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Mature Bream

I bought 2 new sustains and was not happy with them, they were clunky, line roller was noisey and did not spin true. The drag was not as smooth as I had expected. They are not worth the $400, more like a $250 reel.
I have a twin power, they are not worth the money either but they are noticeably smoother than the sustain. I think the micro module gearing in the TP may play a part in the smooth feeling. The TP has dual oscillation sliders compared to the sustains single one, this may enhance alignment and longevity. The TP drag is a single felt style washer more suited to finess compared to the heavier multi washer carbon drag in the sustain. Shimano reels after the Stradic seem to sharply increase in price for very small technology advancements.

Last edited by Juzza; 19-12-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 19-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Big Bream

Thanks Juzza. Good to hear from someone who owns them both. Think I'll be saving some cash and picking up a stradic 2500HK HGS after the feedback from you slazmo and sevric. I'll just get my hands on a regular stradic first and see how it feels before ordering the HGS version.
Old 20-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Blue Lip

They're not bad and can be upgraded a bit too. A mate fishes with a few FK's - mind you he's conscientious with his gear and they've shown that in his ownership and he's pulled some good fish.

Just a shame they went silver and digressed from the pearlescent white the FJ's once were.

Anyhow you shouldn't be too far off the mark with quality and fishability with them imho.
Old 22-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Mature Bream

bit of a sidetrack but has anyone used an exsence 17? I'm eyeing off the 4000 for jewie spinning.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: