Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 19-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Big Bream

Anyone using a gLoomis NRX?

I was thinking of getting one of these as my next rod and pairing it up with a 2500 sustain that I have. The models I was looking at are the 802S (6-10lb) and the 803s (8-14lb). Not to be used for bream but some light inshore work like small snapper and larger estuary fish. Just wondered what anyone thought about these rods and how you got on with those recoil guides. If you have one you don't use and wanted to sell feel free to send a PM as well. Thanks.
Old 21-08-2017, 03:46 AM
Mature Bream

Have a few NRX rods. Great blanks for what you want. Recoils, while fairly bulletproof, are far from the most sensitive guides and very noisy. Keep them clean.
Old 21-08-2017, 04:22 AM
Big Bream

Thanks for the info.
Old 21-08-2017, 05:04 AM
Blue Lip

I have the DSR 822S in NRX rated 6-12lb and I only use it for snapper. It is the lightest, most sensitive rod I've used so far in the Loomis range and part of the reason it is light is because it looks really thin. When I first got it I wasn't sure if it was able to handle snapper 5kg and above without risking breakage because it was so thin but I was pleasantly surprised on how well it handled the bigger fish. I don't really notice the recoil guides but not sure if its the same for all the NRX range but the DSR822S has the biggest 3 guides (closest to the reel) that are Ti-Sic and the rest towards the tip are recoils.
Old 21-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Big Bream

Thanks. Good to know.
Old 22-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Blue Lip

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I love the recoils. I find them more sensitive and super lightweight. You really only get noise when braid runs through them under heavy load and when do you get that? When a big fish is on the other end peeling off line at a great speed of knots and I reckon the sound of the braid straining through the recoils goes really well with the drag ratchet sound. I mean, isn't that why we fish?
Old 22-08-2017, 03:37 AM
Big Bream

Never fished with recoils so looking forward to trying them out. Just getting a price off the local tackle shop and going to go for the 802s.
Old 23-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Big Bream

A lot of BIG opinions on recoils. I have 4 rods with recoils and think they are great. Don't get any more wind knots than my other rods and they are tough and flexible....
Old 26-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Big Bream

Yep, seen a few mixed opinions on the recoils. Most seem to like them. If it turns out I don't at least there are only a few guides to change.
Old 26-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Big Bream

I'd be loathe to change the guides on an NRX, they are a very, very thin blank.
Old 30-08-2017, 06:31 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
A lot of BIG opinions on recoils. I have 4 rods with recoils and think they are great. Don't get any more wind knots than my other rods and they are tough and flexible....
Yeah I agree. Use FG knots no dramas. I've only got one NRX and it's 7'1 and rated 6-12 lb paired up with a 2500 Stella and it's my favourite threadlike outfit. Can flick little ZMan slim swims and heavier plastics nicely and it's really sensitive. Got a few Edge bait cast rods lately and they're every bit if not more sensitive with the carbon handle .
Old 31-08-2017, 03:32 AM
Big Bream

Good to know....I only tie an FG now that I can do it in the yak.
Old 31-08-2017, 05:06 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
I don't know if I'm in the minority but I love the recoils. I find them more sensitive and super lightweight. You really only get noise when braid runs through them under heavy load and when do you get that? When a big fish is on the other end peeling off line at a great speed of knots and I reckon the sound of the braid straining through the recoils goes really well with the drag ratchet sound. I mean, isn't that why we fish?
Like i said, recoils are not the most sensitive guides. If you are only getting noise when under heavy load, then this is all the proof you need. They soak up a lot of vibration.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: