Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 26-02-2018, 08:18 PM
The Angry Administrator

Competition Time MARCH

March - Competition

OK bream nuts, here are the details for the MARCH competition.

For our second comp for the year, we are chasing your trip report to a new location you have not fished before, with no more than 5 images.

It can be a short or long report that is up to you. Lets see what trials and tribulations you have been through chasing the elusive bream. Be creative, and failed trips with no captures are also welcome, sometime they are still a cracking trip!

Post your efforts below, entries close March27th and the winner will be announced on March 29th.

The prize is handy little Bream pack consisting of: two packs of plastics, three lures, jigheads and some leader, and I'm sure we threw something else in as well.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prize_pack_sample.jpg (378.2 KB, 4 views)

"Kill, Grill, Chill and Swill"
Old 08-03-2018, 03:05 AM
Blue Lip

Hey all get on it!!!!!
I was pleasantly surprised to find a much larger delivery than expected for the feb comp.
Appreciate the generosity Ian and Richo👍
Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 AM
Big Bream

Well its not bream but nothings been posted up here yet so thought I'd get the ball rolling. With all the rain we've had around here muddying up the rivers and the strong tides last weekend I headed out to Lake Macdonald for the first time. I'm no bass catcher, so it was always going to be a challenge. I was really pleased to catch one bass early on and hoped for a few more but it was not to be. Fishing the edges I managed to hook up to what I thought was a good bass. It pulled pretty hard and it was only when it jumped right in front of the yak I realised it was a SARATOGA. It was huge (and my first). I was surprised that I even managed to get it to the side of the yak as I was only using a size 2 hook. It looked like it had given up, just lying there. With my net in my hand and wondering how I was going to deal with it , it saved me the trouble. One giant splash and it was gone. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark. How annoying. Not even a photo. I'll be heading back this weekend for another crack.
G0022378.JPG

GOPR2409.JPG

GOPR2414.JPG

GOPR2412.JPG
Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Mature Bream

4am Alarm blasting away in the background, your initial response is are you serious then you switch into fishing mode and that excitement knowing your heading to a system you have heard so much about but had yet been to

The plan was to meet Chris and head east to a system out of Albany that has so many options available from flats, deep gutters, drop offs, snags and crap load of submerged rocks

We arrived at our location for the day and initial thoughts I could see exactly why it had so much hype to it

Just from the view from the car I knew this was going to be well worth the trip, Chris turned to me and said wow never seen it this low which had me thinking is this a good or bad thing - time would tell

We headed up river skipping over a lot of ground I would've stopped to fish but Chris said trust me you will love it up higher bait fish were everywhere on the surface with the local birds dive bombing them for free meal

We pulled up to a set of snags which looked super fishy and from that moment on we worked our way up river pulling plenty of fish

The fish sizes weren't the trophy 40s I was hoping for but when your pulling mid 30s out of a new system you cant complain then you throw in the scenery and the structure under the water in zones was crazy

Im hanging for the next session back here cant wait to give it another crack and see what else it has hidden away

I threw a number of lures during the session from Razor Edge Lures Brawler Bait Fatboy Swims in Green Pumpkin rigged on 1/16th & 1/12th Razor Edge Lures Tournament Series jigheads in Copper colour / Red Bug / Motor Oil, OSP Bent Minnows, SX40s, Pontoon 21s all having success

Tight lines guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171224_054446.jpg (678.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20171224_060856.jpg (554.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20171224_060859.jpg (553.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20171224_061044A.jpg (286.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20171227_143152A.jpg (313.9 KB, 1 views)

www.razoredgelures.com

www.rapidfirefishing.com

Last edited by bp30tr; 08-03-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp30tr View Post
4am Alarm blasting away in the background, your initial response is are you serious then you switch into fishing mode and that excitement knowing your heading to a system you have heard so much about but had yet been to
nice report...reminded me of this:

fs.jpg
Old 10-03-2018, 01:29 AM
Poddy Bream

Working towards a new PB

First of, thanks to Mark M for putting me onto the comp, such a champ and so helpful.
AN EARLY MISSION FOR BREAM IN THE MARINA

On my last day of holidays I managed to get a solo Yak session at a West Aus Marina, it shall remain nameless at this stage and those that recognise it can enjoy there own knowledge . Well I can say I wasn't disappointed.

It started with an early wake up, 4am to be precise! This is getting much more difficult with age LOL. The Cruiser was loaded the night before and all I had to do was pack food water and make a wake-up coffee, I was set!

I arrived at sunrise and I launched at the boat launch next to an Old Boy launching his little Crabber. This Old Boy had heaps of knowledge and he was willing to share, gotta love "Old Boy Experience". He proceeded to tell me where I would find Bream, Flathead, Whiting, Crabs, and the bigger Tailor. Thanks mate your a champ!

The Rig Used. "The Collie Yak"

As I launched I could see 30cm Bream feeding in the shallows and I got excited, I cast out my Atomic Bream Crank DD 3mtr diver and proceeded to troll to my intended fishing location. Well I hadn't paddled 20m before I hooked up on a small fish, unfortunately I lost this so I cast back out and attempted to catch some Winter Green Grass from the bank LOL.

I paddled from jetty to jetty trolling my Atomic and then casting a soft plastic under each jetty with a few hits and a Trumpeter for my troubles. It was about an hour of this before I hooked up on my first bream for the day. I scored my little mate while paddling to a new section of the marina and trolling. As I paused to look at a lure change my line got belted and I was on! I reeled in a little 24cm tipper. Excited by my first Bream for the day I continued to a new spot where I found a nice little jetty with a big boat moored up. This spot just looked so fishy so I spent some time putting in several casts using a Fatboy Swim Brawler Bait in Champagne. It wasn't long before I finally landed one right under the jetty and against the wall. I let it sink reeling in the slack line. A few twitches and I could feel the hint of a hungry Bream. BANG! I was on and I knew it was good! The excitement rushed through me as the Bream proceeded to tow my Yak around with out me being able to stop it. I was nervous and I knew this was a possible PB. The Bream headed out into the centre of the canal and for a moment I was relieved, until suddenly it realised its best hope was the structure of the boat, the prop and the ladder. OH NO! I started to really get concerned as the thought of another vid about a lost Bream filled my head. The next couple of minutes were a combination of fending my Yak off the boat and attempting not to tip my rod in all the structure around me. I finally turned him and got him to swim into less structure and I netted him using the net given to me by Mark M. I was confidant it was a PB and it was dam chunky as well, but it wasn't to be, falling agonisingly short by 2cm.

The Bream

Having caught a mid 30's Bream I felt very content as I continued to fish, casting my Fatboy Swim under each jetty in the area. Soon after I was on again, this time pulling in a Yellow Tail Grunter. For a moment I was thinking live bait for a Mulloway (would this work?) and soon thought better and threw it back. Next cast at the same jetty saw me hook into a Flathead. At 36cm's that boy became lunch. Cant pass up a good Flatty, sorry folks! A few jetties, a number of hits and I was on again. I felt confidant I had a Bream in the high 20's, until it hit the surface and I realised it was a Juvenile Pink Snapper! Having just hooked a new species I was very excited! After a quick release and a few casts later I was on to my 2nd ever Pinkie, this one was measured at 27cm. I decided baby Pinkies were not a good by-catch and moved on.

The By-Catch

I trolled my Jacks Pillie around the Marina for about an hour, even paddling out past the heads into the ocean hoping to land a few Tailor to add to my lunch, I had 3 solid hits but no hook ups. It was time to head home and I was chuffed with my efforts and catch.

Baits/Jigheads Used With Success

Atomic Bream Crank DD - in Muddy Prawn
FatBoy Swim Brawler Bait - in Champagne
Nailbomb #2 1/16oz

The Vid

Watch the vid crew and see how the session turned out. Please like and Subscribe to my channel and feel free to watch all the other vids. Tight lines all.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
Old 14-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Fingerling

New Member GC Canals

Hello everyone,

My names Russell, I'm new to the page. Thankyou for having me.

Relatively new to chasing the elusive Breambo on lure. Slowly building my arsenal of soft plastics and hard bodies.

I recently braved the windy weather and went out to a new canal system on the Gold Coast which is cut off from a river with a lock. I've heard good reviews so thought I'd give it a crack. This canal certainly produced the goods being only my second time using lures for bream.

Fished the afternoon from 1pm, first cast got a big hit but no hook up (in my head was thinking this is going to be a cracker session, i was bitterly disappointed for the next 3 hours) nothing after that till 4pm when i got the first bream coming in at 26cm on a Zman 2.5" Grub in Motor Oil. A few casts later under a pontoon the same Zman got nailed but a 48cm Flatty. I paddled around for another hour with not even a strike, the sun went down and i decided to give a surface lure a go (mind you i have never used a "walk the dog" style lure before) and i got this Austackle Joey out of a bargain bin for $5. First cast into a shaded area behind a pontoon and fish on, didnt even get a chance to retrieve the thing. After a great fight this big fella came up beside the yak and the grin on my face was ear to ear, he went a bit over 30cm and the biggest bream I've caught in a long time.

I can now see why people chase fish on surface lures, the strike and sound is amazing. I am now totally addicted to surface fishing for bream.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more from the group

Enjoy the pics.

Zman Grub Bream.jpg
Surface Bream.jpg
Flathead.jpg
Old 15-03-2018, 01:27 AM
Big Bream

Nice report. And yes, you can't beat a good surface strike even if you don't get to hook up.
Old 15-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Mature Bream

[QUOTE=Russellman88;690721]Hello everyone,

welcome to the site Russell nice report mate im sure many more sessions to come

definitely cant beat the surface action when its on the visual strikes are awesome

tight lines and good luck for your future adventures mate

Ben

www.razoredgelures.com

www.rapidfirefishing.com
Old 17-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellman88 View Post
Hello everyone,

Relatively new to chasing the elusive Breambo on lure. Slowly building my arsenal of soft plastics and hard bodies
Welcome Russell, great story and awesome pics mate. I am new to the Bream world as well, I’ve had a good crack using Brawler Baits by Razor Edge Lures. I’ve found they work a treat, I’ve found them to be just as good as Zman for the durability and strike rate mate, also local Aus business mate. FYI I have no association with them just good local brand and I am pushy on support local LOL. Look me up on YouTube mate and you can see me progress from not being able to catch Bream to now catching them regularly. Enjoy the site, I’ve learned heaps from all the crew here and they are all awesome.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
Old 18-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Blue Lip

Well...

The boat has just returned from a 3 month warranty job, a trailer overhaul and a deck transplant. I was keen to travel up the coast and discover the waterways around campden haven. The mrs had packed a picnic, a bottle of wine and really couldn't work out why we needed 8 rods and a 5am start.

We leave home, she packed more food and enough clothes for a month at sea. We get about 1732m down the street just to realise i left my sunnies at home..no dramas mate.

I couldn't be bothered to drive around the block, so a quick curb mounted u-turn takes place. A thing of beauty...except it's illegal, and somehow I manage to bump the trailer off the towball. If you would like a video, just contact taree HWP. Atleast the lovely female officer laughs, blocks the road with lights ablaze while I jack up the trailer to get it back on.

We arrive at laurieton. I fill up with fuel, and somewhere i snapped a breather cover and now I'm covered in fuel...wonderful, just f*cking wonderfuel. Bacon and egg roll was lovely, I think the cafe owner can now retire after we settled the bill + paid off her mortage and private school fees.

We arrive! We launch fairly smoothly. The mrs parks the trailer and we're off! A fairly slow drive towards the mouth to throw some sorta lure at large piles of rocks. Oh yeah, I notice the electric motor bracket is cracked, the prop is sitting 2 inches out of the housing. No dramas mate, but it just makes a grinding noise and then stops.

We drift around for a lil bit, but i had the poops by now and the mrs still doesn't know why we have 8 rods, 10 trays of lures and a 5am wake up call. She's a keeper though when she blindly tells me she can back a trailer and somehow manages to get it down the ramp in 3 fairly good attempts.

We end up driving 150k south to Forster for a picnic island lunch, an afternoon swimming with dolphins and a lovely bottle of wine.

Life has a funny way of sorting itself out, hey?

www.crankalures.com

Last edited by forsterfisho; 18-03-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 18-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Blue Lip

Made my day great read.

Still not sure why you packed 8 rods and had a 5am start

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsterfisho View Post
Well...

The boat has just returned from a 3 month warranty job, a trailer overhaul and a deck transplant. I was keen to travel up the coast and discover the waterways around campden haven. The mrs had packed a picnic, a bottle of wine and really couldn't work out why we needed 8 rods and a 5am start.

We leave home, she packed more food and enough clothes for a month at sea. We get about 1732m down the street just to realise i left my sunnies at home..no dramas mate.

I couldn't be bothered to drive around the block, so a quick curb mounted u-turn takes place. A thing of beauty...except it's illegal, and somehow I manage to bump the trailer off the towball. If you would like a video, just contact taree HWP. Atleast the lovely female officer laughs, blocks the road with lights ablaze while I jack up the trailer to get it back on.

We arrive at laurieton. I fill up with fuel, and somewhere i snapped a breather cover and now I'm covered in fuel...wonderful, just f*cking wonderfuel. Bacon and egg roll was lovely, I think the cafe owner can now retire after we settled the bill + paid off her mortage and private school fees.

We arrive! We launch fairly smoothly. The mrs parks the trailer and we're off! A fairly slow drive towards the mouth to throw some sorta lure at large piles of rocks. Oh yeah, I notice the electric motor bracket is cracked, the prop is sitting 2 inches out of the housing. No dramas mate, but it just makes a grinding noise and then stops.

We drift around for a lil bit, but i had the poops by now and the mrs still doesn't know why we have 8 rods, 10 trays of lures and a 5am wake up call. She's a keeper though when she blindly tells me she can back a trailer and somehow manages to get it down the ramp in 3 fairly good attempts.

We end up driving 150k south to Forster for a picnic island lunch, an afternoon swimming with dolphins and a lovely bottle of wine.

Life has a funny way of sorting itself out, hey?
Old 19-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie Yak View Post
Welcome Russell, great story and awesome pics mate. I am new to the Bream world as well, I’ve had a good crack using Brawler Baits by Razor Edge Lures.
Awesome mate, I'll check them out next time I'm buying some softies. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:20 PM
The Angry Administrator

Loving the stories fellas, 1 more week and we will make a decision and send out the winners pack for the month.

Keep m coming.

cheers

Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 PM
The Angry Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellman88 View Post
Hello everyone,

Relatively new to chasing the elusive Breambo on lure. Slowly building my arsenal of soft plastics and hard bodies.

I recently braved the windy weather and went out to a new canal system on the Gold Coast which is cut off from a river with a lock. I've heard good reviews so thought I'd give it a crack. This canal certainly produced the goods being only my second time using lures for bream.

Fished the afternoon from 1pm, first cast got a big hit but no hook up (in my head was thinking this is going to be a cracker session, i was bitterly disappointed for the next 3 hours) nothing after that till 4pm when i got the first bream coming in at 26cm on a Zman 2.5" Grub in Motor Oil. A few casts later under a pontoon the same Zman got nailed but a 48cm Flatty. I paddled around for another hour with not even a strike, the sun went down and i decided to give a surface lure a go (mind you i have never used a "walk the dog" style lure before) and i got this Austackle Joey out of a bargain bin for $5. First cast into a shaded area behind a pontoon and fish on, didnt even get a chance to retrieve the thing. After a great fight this big fella came up beside the yak and the grin on my face was ear to ear, he went a bit over 30cm and the biggest bream I've caught in a long time.

I can now see why people chase fish on surface lures, the strike and sound is amazing. I am now totally addicted to surface fishing for bream.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more from the group

Enjoy the pics.

Attachment 113533
Attachment 113534
Attachment 113535
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER..!!!

Hey Russell, PM me your details and we will get your pack out this week some time (pending Ian's return from doing fishing clinics up North).

welcome to the site.

cheers Richo