Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Old 25-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Blue Lip

Let's talk Action Cameras...what's your flavour?

I have been doing a fair bit of fishing in the yak in recent times, and currently run an old Go Pro Hero 2 on it. The V2 is still doing the trick, but the quality is not the best, especially if there is low light.

Thinking of Upgrading, but there appear to be a Miriad of opportunity these days. The GO Pro Hero 4 has hit the shelves so this the front runner.

I am looking for people's thoughts based on what they currently run..

Many thanks in advance..

Last edited by crabcrusher; 26-07-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 26-07-2015, 05:45 AM
Blue Lip

Nick - I dont have much experience to compare it against the other brands but ive had a 3+ black for a while and like it. Nice sharp picture, good quality stills. Easy enough to navigate through the menu/features even without the lcd piggy back. Great app too that goes with it to operate the thing.

The only slight issues ive had are that battery life aint fantastic and some of the modes make that fish-eye shot a little bit too pronounced. Other than that its good! Heaps of extras you can get, ive got the basics and a head mount and a little hand held/tripod thing. Havnt tried any video editing though yet as the laptop i had was rubbish and could barely playback the video.

The 4 will obviously be better again. Probably better battery life etc..

Wouldnt hurt to look out for some discounted 3+ now that the 4 is here.
Old 26-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Mature Bream

I've got a 3+ black also and I reckon its great. I haven't really seen what else is out there to be honest but if you buy a GoPro you'll be happy with it, no doubt about that!
Old 26-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Blue Lip

Hey mate I was lucky enough to recently score a silver 4 after my black 3+ crapped itself and I got a warranty refund.
The 3+ stopped turning on altogether it'd freeze up....
The 4 has a touch screen which is still accessible through the waterproof housing which is nice.
It's a little bit faster with a few more features I recommend it highly so far..

You can edit the hell outa your footage with the gopro including taking out the fisheye when putting a clip together.

Last edited by matt jorg; 26-07-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 26-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Blue Lip

+1 for the 3+ Black.

Can't speak enough for the quality of the pictures and ease to use plus the availability of non OEM parts and fittings that work great.

Love it!
Old 26-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Mature Bream

Hero 4 would be ideal, the newest ones don't need a housing to go underwater (though not too deep), also front/back microphone that alternates depending which one gets more sound interference such as wind giving great audio (for sexy drag noises without external mic). I believe they have tried to fix up the low light issue as well, however, if your computer lacks the processing power, then it may be easier to downscale to a 3 for similar results video wise.

Most things they put on the newer models make the experience a bit better, ultimately though the end product is almost the same unless your hosting it to a site somewhere, where the HD video / Frame rate composure in your video is noticeable and does not get downscaled via the site itself. The better Go Pro you go, the more processing power you need to edit / upload the files, keeping in mind higher quality which V4 compared to V2, file sizes are way bigger (storage can be an issue as not everyone has like 6 HDDS in their PC.)

You also need to keep in mind, higher quality video's burn more battery & more SD card space.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 26-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Mature Bream

I have been going through the same search of late and have been getting a lot of info from mates who run gopros, ions and contours, the end result for me was the gopro.

On choosing which Gopro, the Hero 4 Silver was the standout. The biggest feature I liked was the LCD screen, very user friendly. The Hero 4 silver has a better lens and audio than the Hero 3 silver/black, it is also better in low light situations and has an additional low light time lapse function. The battery life is about the same between the Hero 3 Silver/Black and Hero4 Silver.

The Hero 4 Black was quickly off the table as it has no LCD screen, chewed up the battery life and from speaking with people more knowledge on the topic than me, you would never use the max 4k recording feature of the black unless you were a professional film maker, as it takes a heap of editing and computer power.
Old 27-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Poddy Bream

I have the GoPro 2, still does the job. Only thing is I don't get more than 2 hours recording on a single battery . Would be nice to be able to record longer that 2 hours without extra batteries. I'm not sure if the newer versions are any better with battery life
Old 28-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. So far most still believe the Go Pros are where it's at, in lieu of other vendors in the market.
Old 29-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Mature Bream

They do the job mate.

I am picking up another two Hero 3's this weekend, 6 batteries, 64gb sd card, 32gb sd card, wifi remote, loads of mounts and housings for 500. Do some searching around if you can wait and you can pick up some good deals.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 29-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Blue Lip

Cheers Deathpact2003.. I shall keep my eyes open for some deals!
Old 29-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Big Bream

Im still not convinced that kayak fishing is action enough for action cams. My experience with a few different brands is heap of corrupt files, heap of times the recordings would stop for no reason and epic moments were missed, failed firmware updates, terrible audio, regretful head cam footage (not a camera fault), heap of times the cameras would freeze, heap of space on the hard drive for very little worthwhile footage. If theres ever 1 action cam that doesnt have at least 1 of these negatives ill think about it.
Old 30-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Mature Bream

Gez, I personally enjoy your videos mate.. Seen them floating around on the web & it always makes me envious! It really boils down to how you want to go about your own videos. Most of what makes a good clip is a number of different angles composed into 1 scene, however most people tend to just take one and it gets old pretty quick.

Corrupt files more often than not, usually indicate that there was an interruption in the filming. I know things like cameras not designed to automatically cut off / save when the battery dies will be more susceptible to file corruptions. It is also wrong to assume all action cameras’ do this. Failed firmware updates will also cause your random freezes and corruptions as firmware is basically the "controller" for your camera functionality. I advise not to update unless your device starts acting way out of character or starts doing things it shouldn't, as many of these rushed releases aren't properly debugged before being released, which means ultimately you are the guinea pig.

More often than not, if you do some research you will be able to roll back your firm ware to a version where these bugs weren't present which will help you get more reliability in the event of a DohDohDohDoh update. It is also worth mentioning that the card plays a big part in your recording. It's possible that, when disregarding your available storage space, that the camera is not able to write the quality you are requesting, onto the card quick enough. You can try dumbing down your quality, even keeping it at 1080p but reducing your frames per second..

There's a number of different factors & not to say that your device/s are not legitimately buggy, but there are some things you can do to see what’s going on & to help. It's highly unlikely you'll find an action camera with no bugs unless human error can be eliminated, but IMO the Go Pros are the best out there at the moment (personally).

Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gez View Post
Im still not convinced that kayak fishing is action enough for action cams. My experience with a few different brands is heap of corrupt files, heap of times the recordings would stop for no reason and epic moments were missed, failed firmware updates, terrible audio, regretful head cam footage (not a camera fault), heap of times the cameras would freeze, heap of space on the hard drive for very little worthwhile footage. If theres ever 1 action cam that doesnt have at least 1 of these negatives ill think about it.
What cam are you running Gez?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Blue Lip

I have been doing some Research and so far the Go Pro Hero 4 Silver seems to tick the boxes.
Like Gez I spend a lot of time sitting in the yak doing solo missions, so ideally need a camera that takes a decent self time image. The Go Pro are good given the multi shoot mode. If a Nikon AW1 had that function then if be sold as it would cover all my needs.

Lately i have been doin a bit of fishing with low light. The Go Pro 2 take a shocking image in low light.. The new Hero 4 apparently has a night mode and low light sensor that auto adjusts... This is a tick for me.

As for Video, I have done a bit of filming but found it hard to find the time to edit up the clips... So they sit idle on the Hard drive

Out of interest has anyone tried any of the SJ Cams? On paper they sound good and are priced well... But as always you usually get what you pay for..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: