Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
love the dedication man keep it up.
cheers mate.
I tend to fish most days depending on the weather...but it seems if its not raining im down there flicking around at lunchtime or after work if the tides allow it.
Still chasing that bream though.

Might have a crack on my way home...tide should be up...if only this wind would go away, make it easier casting placcys around.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg-panelvanman View Post
hadnt thought of them swiping at it, rather than eating it. Would that suggest one type of fish over the other?

I will try shortening it as an option too. I take about an inch off the placcy already, but ill try a bit more. I tend to like this type of placcy as it has a lot of movement in the water as to grab attention, but probably too big.

hmm...a person could go crazy trying to catch something thats just going to go back after a few pretty photos :/
It can mean an EP, but there's also been plenty of times where i've scaled bream, so i don't even bother guessing, just keep plugging away until i can catch one and see what's down there

Try shortening and also give a 2" Zman grub a go

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Blue Lip

Doesn't look like an EP scale (too big) ... Bream maybe ?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Mature Bream

so it appears some of my thread has gone missing?

anyway
headed down today and tried a (probably) 10 year old gulp 2" grub in christmas light colour as i havent been to the tackle shop (trying to be a good boy).

Threw it around for a while and had a good hit but dropped it, just hooked up then spat it. oh well.

Then hooked and landed a bay trout/ small salmon. This would have been close to legal (but dont have a measure on me, something im going to change) but what was worse i gut hooked him. Swallowed the lure down well (no2 squidgy ball head i think).
So i bit the line off just above its mouth and sent him back. Poor guy was bleeding when i did.

This got me thinking...Is it better to keep an undersized fish (which i would have used for bait...remember this is illeagle, or throw it back where he will probably die?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg-panelvanman View Post
so it appears some of my thread has gone missing?

anyway
headed down today and tried a (probably) 10 year old gulp 2" grub in christmas light colour as i havent been to the tackle shop (trying to be a good boy).

Threw it around for a while and had a good hit but dropped it, just hooked up then spat it. oh well.

Then hooked and landed a bay trout/ small salmon. This would have been close to legal (but dont have a measure on me, something im going to change) but what was worse i gut hooked him. Swallowed the lure down well (no2 squidgy ball head i think).
So i bit the line off just above its mouth and sent him back. Poor guy was bleeding when i did.

This got me thinking...Is it better to keep an undersized fish (which i would have used for bait...remember this is illeagle, or throw it back where he will probably die?
Unfortunately if fisheries catch you with a fish undersize they will book you or at least caution you regardless of its likely hood of survival.

Last edited by laddercat; 10-06-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Poddy Bream

i'd say throw em back. You'll be less a bit of fresh bait yes, but not worth the hassle if fisheries see it and it definitely won't go to waste as has been said
Old 10-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Mature Bream

i did figure that would be the case. But was curious what other people thought
Old 18-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Mature Bream

so after getting a my first batch of HOP i thought id head down and have a crack. Tide just coming in...not ideal but give it a go.
Tie on a 1/20 fuze jig head and a fairyfloss.
Few casts later had a hit and a small run then this...

Im good at catching scales... now going by the hook up, it seems they are swiping at it...so i swear at myself for a minute and get back to casting.

lift...pause...lift...pause...lines moving lift...hookup. Not doing a lot, but theres weight there...win...gone.
fark

keep casting...
line moving again...lift harder...hookup. feels like the same but not...theres a small run...weight there...gone.

double fark.

This fishing thing really is going to kill me. I had 2 good hookups in the space of 3-5 casts and both pulled the hooks. Its starting to really annoy me...but at least they like the HOP :/
Old 18-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Big Bream

Where are you located mate, seems like your doing something wrong somewhere, im happy to come down and help/show you a few things if your not too far away from me.
send me a pm if you want to do so.
Old 18-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Mature Bream

cheers for the offer mate, but ive caught plenty of bream/fish in the past...had a day similar to this in Mallacoota where i dropped half a dozen fish over the space of a day, but landed another 6-8.
Cant see that im doing anything wrong, loose enough drag, not too much pressure on the fish...just normal stuff...who knows.

*the only thing maybe im not doing is striking once hooked. Once i feel a fish on, i just start fighting it, should i be setting the hooks harder?

Last edited by xg-panelvanman; 19-06-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 19-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Big Bream

Np man, just thought id offer to help after seeing your frustration loll

yeah strike if possible or just keep pressure on the rod so that Theres no slack line.
jighead hook size also come into play. as well as making sure they are not blunt.

by the looks of things as you mentioned fish aren't commiting yet, just having a swipe, try a hardbody maybe as the trebels will stick a bit better

good luck
Old 19-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Blue Lip

Makes me wonder if these fish aren't just hanging onto the tail of your plastic.
Perhaps a minnow or worm style plastic with a stinger right down the back might help.
Old 19-06-2015, 02:53 AM
Mature Bream

im starting to think a stinger, similar to what the Sloth uses every now and then might be the way to go.
These were good solid hook ups (not the one that resulted in the scale, but the others, that just pulled the hooks.
Old 19-06-2015, 03:11 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
Where are you located mate, seems like your doing something wrong somewhere, im happy to come down and help/show you a few things if your not too far away from me.
send me a pm if you want to do so.
I reckon you're onto it! No-one can have this much bad luck without at least some minor aspect needing a tweak. I'm loving the thread, particularly because I know the area and have (unsuccessfully) fished it and I know there are some thumping perch in there. I've had an occasional bream come off when using plastics but I reckon it would be less than half a dozen in total, ever! That said, to be hooking scales regularly is pretty odd in my view and has me a little puzzled.
Old 19-06-2015, 03:51 AM
Mature Bream

Gez put up that he thinks it could be sea mullet for the scales at least. Which is possible.
Glad everyone is enjoying the thread and im grateful for all the input. Hopefully have a fish around lunchtime again tomorrow!