Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Kayak / Canoe Fishing

Kayak / Canoe Fishing Just for those guys who prefer to paddle...

Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Blue Lip

Sold Kayak - Recommendations on new.

Hi guys.

Sold my Viking Tempo the other day, backs stuffed so cant /couldnt lift it due to being circa 40 kgs...

Looking for a smaller = < 22kg, < 3 meter kayak for calm broadwater /skinny creeks use...

Plenty around for $330 / $600. Some with FB hero status names going for $550+ but from an exact same mould from others going at $330 - just a name plastered on the side worth the extra $220?

Looking for payload capability of 120 / 150 kgs - understanding it'll be less in freshwater.

Good tracking, relatively dry deck with good scupper placement.

No need to be fully decked out with rod holders et al. Noting that all these Chinese yaks all have chineseium grade metals and plastic parts, expected... Would like to do my own additional additions in time.

I do see a few with divots at the back to accept a transom pole for a Minn Kota, however carrying a 30 kg battery is a bit far fetched... Lithium battery would be more accept at 12 kgs but @ $1000 absolutely unachievable.

Needs to have a central spot for a Humminbird Sounder - old school Piranahmax ����

So looking for first hand experience / owners thoughts etc.

TIA

Andrew

Last edited by Slazmo; 06-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Mature Bream

I used a viking pacer creek basher for many years before upgrading to something bigger - seems very well built and pretty light. should be able to pick up a 2nd hand for couple of hundred. the cheaper knock offs might be ok but you would want to check the scuppers closely for thin areas that might fail.
most short kayaks in this range will track like a biatch in any sort of wind - i made a skeg for mine out of alum which helped a fair bit.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 AM
Big Bream

I've owned a Malibu Mini-x for years and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a short and reasonably light kayak. It tracks very well for such a short kayak due to its relatively deep keel and highly pronounced chines. The basic design is so good, it has been copied by cheaper Chinese models. You can pick up Mini-x kayaks for around $600 and the clones are about half that. It has a centrally located console which is ideal for mounting a sounder. It offers a dry ride in most conditions and they're pretty stable.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 AM
Blue Lip

Yeh agreed that the smaller kayaks don't track, had a coastal kayak scamp years ago and didnot track well at all, however for what it was it was perfect... why I changed to a sit in and then an even larger sit on top?

I'm thinking of the mini x but the prices are lunacy, the price of a Chinese "copy" is half of that yes and surprisingly still made in China.

$349 gets kayak, seat, paddle and it basically all ready to go... going to have to look over one and see how well made / thick they are?

With the scuppers, I won't be putting in any trolleys in them so won't worry about flex cracks - pretty analysis with looking after my gear.

They all seem to be built on the exactly same mould.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4842.thumb.jpg.04cb4926433c59cdf1867d0ba2566ba0.jpg (201.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg $_20.jpg (134.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Big Bream

The trick with paddling short yaks is to go gently. Giving beyond a moderate amount of effort doesn't increase your speed, it only increases the amount of yawing from side to side. They're terrible, no matter what you do, with a brisk head-on wind though.

Here's a photo of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0324_Converted_0003.jpg (640.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

This guy could teach you blokes a few things about how to control a rudderless craft - and as a bonus - he's doing it all to some pretty sick beats

Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Blue Lip

Sweet jesus that's a thing?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Sweet jesus that's a thing?
With correct stroking technique, body positioning and the right tunes - anything is possible
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
With correct stroking technique, body positioning and the right tunes - anything is possible
Starting to sound like the new catch cry of a erectile dysfunction advert
Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazmo View Post
starting to sound like the new catch cry of a erectile dysfunction advert
:d
Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Hi guys.

Sold my Viking Tempo the other day, backs stuffed so cant /couldnt lift it due to being circa 40 kgs...

Looking for a smaller = < 22kg, < 3 meter kayak for calm broadwater /skinny creeks use...

Plenty around for $330 / $600. Some with FB hero status names going for $550+ but from an exact same mould from others going at $330 - just a name plastered on the side worth the extra $220?

Looking for payload capability of 120 / 150 kgs - understanding it'll be less in freshwater.

Good tracking, relatively dry deck with good scupper placement.

No need to be fully decked out with rod holders et al. Noting that all these Chinese yaks all have chineseium grade metals and plastic parts, expected... Would like to do my own additional additions in time.

I do see a few with divots at the back to accept a transom pole for a Minn Kota, however carrying a 30 kg battery is a bit far fetched... Lithium battery would be more accept at 12 kgs but @ $1000 absolutely unachievable.

Needs to have a central spot for a Humminbird Sounder - old school Piranahmax ����

So looking for first hand experience / owners thoughts etc.

TIA

Andrew
Hey Andrew - for what it's worth I f...ed my back in 2008 - had to have surgery and couldn't manage my Hobie Outback onto the roof of the Hilux anymore. Wasn't gunna let it stop me so I upgraded to a PA 14 and put it on a modified sailing skiff trailer. Best thing I ever did👌👍
Old 08-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Blue Lip

Bought on sale at Bee Sea Efffffffff...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7531.jpg (438.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by bender; 08-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Blue Lip

The big rectangular hatch sealed then deal for me.

It fits a hobie tub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7529.jpg (550.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Blue Lip

:d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7534.JPG (128.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

Seriously?
Only in America I guess!

Its a work in progress

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: