Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Soft Plastics

Soft Plastics Nothing but jubes in here…
Ecogear, Sliders, Atomic, Gene Larew, Bream Master...

Old 16-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Poddy Bream

Techniques for bream

Just wanted to post a thread about breaming techniques with plastics and hardbodies what are your favourite techniques ?, favourite lures and colours ?, favourite spots to fish oyster racks, flats etc. please i encourage everyone to comment and make this a great thread for people to learn !

Also does anyone know some good oyster racks in around the newcastle lake macquarie area and some bass fishing spots cheers much appreciated kennedy
Old 16-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Banned

Don't know that i have a favourite of anything when it comes to Breaming but i probably do more flats and Jetty, boats/pontoons fishing than anything else due to my location. Lures i use the most would be Plastics (secret go to) but love creature baits, wrigglers and Miki's mainly. Vibes and Stick minnows and the occasional Hard when the Bream are holding higher in the water column or in shallower water. Flats is hards all the way and really don't have a fav, obvioulsy i chuck a lot of Hurricane's but use a wide variety of lures depending on the day. Love surface but just don't do it that often. Probably a heap of techniques but if i type those i will be typing forever so won't bother just yet

Good idea for a thread mate, love threads designed to help, needs to be more of them.
Old 16-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Poddy Bream

my best tip is you can work/wind to fast but you can never work/wind to slow
Old 16-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks for the feedback guys great post bream obsession
Old 16-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Mature Bream

My favourite lure would be what ever works on the day.

As for technique, ep and yellowfin - slow and steady. Blackies - twitch, pause and annoy

No hard and fast rules though. Some days the opposite of everything i just said applies. The above techniques just seem to work the most consistantly for me
Old 16-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Mature Bream

My Favourites:

1. Surface on Flats
2. Ripping Luna's on the flats
3. Vibing in Yacht Clubs and other structure
Old 16-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Blue Lip

1. Surface
2. Cranking boat hulls, rockwalls, drop-offs etc.
3. Heavy structure plastic fishing
Old 16-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Big Bream

around were i mainly fish sydny harbour st geroges basin i love my deep water marks and for the best all round producer of bream you cant go past the vx35. you can use them deep or on the flats. i have lost count of how many masive days ive had on these blades and how many comp results they have got me
next would have to be the tiemco stick minnow in rock shallow banks, and washes they just catch so many fish they are unreal
dont really use that many plastics these days to boring, as in most of th time its slow fishing and losts of pauses
dont really use cranks either my thought is were you use cranks you can use tiemcos
pb snapper on plastic 58cm folk
Old 16-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayojay View Post
around were i mainly fish sydny harbour st geroges basin i love my deep water marks and for the best all round producer of bream you cant go past the vx35. you can use them deep or on the flats. i have lost count of how many masive days ive had on these blades and how many comp results they have got me
next would have to be the tiemco stick minnow in rock shallow banks, and washes they just catch so many fish they are unreal
dont really use that many plastics these days to boring, as in most of th time its slow fishing and losts of pauses
dont really use cranks either my thought is were you use cranks you can use tiemcos
So your saying that you don't like using plastics because they are too boring but you love blades.... Seems like an almost redundant statement to me

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 16-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Blue Lip

G'day Kennedy,

Can't help you out on your location sorry but great idea for a thread.

I think alot of it will be individual dependant and also location will play a big part, but for me it would be flats, deep structure, canals and river banks with plenty of over hanging and submerged structure.

Flats - I will generally throw a shallow/deep crank or minnow, atm I am loving the Damiki DTSCO 40 in Green Goblin and the Pontoon 21 Crackjack 38 in Carmenred and Gold Silver Black Back, although I will throw all colours dependant on water clarity or in an attempt to match the hatch.
I will fish it with a slow roll with the occasional pause followed by 2 quick twitches, another pause then back to a slow roll.

Deep Structure - Really love sinking hardbody minnows, the Pontoon 21 Gagagoon in 45 and 55 are great for this application. Absolutely love the Carmenred/Spanishred and the Gold perch colours.
Basically they should be fished very similar to plastics or blades, with a hop or 2 followed by a pause to let it sink back down. Big thing to remember with these types of lures is to leave a bit of slack line after the cast in order to allow it to sink vertically onto the structure.

Canals - I cannot go past the creature baits and cranks, 2" Damiki Aircraws fished on a light jighead are perfect for this application. Also love the Damiki DTSCO crank and Pontoon 21 Crackjack.
I will skip the plastics at pontoons or hulls and let it sink, followed by a couple of twitches and allowed to sink again. Generally if fishing the cranks or bibbed lures I will use a slow roll with the occasional pause whilst in canals.

River Banks - Again I will use creature baits and Gagagoons, the Aircraws are great to skip in tight to the bank and twitched out, either across the bottom or over the structure itself, trying to imitate little crustaceans or yabbies etc. The Gagagoons are fished the exact same way as the deep structure, be prepared to lose a few but the reward is well worth the risk.

Hopefully this helps out a bit and yes I am slightly biased to the Damiki/Pontoon 21 range but they are great lures that work!! Any questions feel free to ask here or flick me a PM.

Cheers Kyle

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 16-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Blue Lip

I mainly do flats fishing, and really enjoy that. I use both softs and hards, but prefer plastics every day of the week. Sx40's are great on the flats, but only at the right times. they just dont get out to the fish sometimes. Zmans are great to use in Perth, as they are one of the only blowie proof plastic (to an extent).
Old 17-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Mature Bream

When I first started fishing for bream I was all about plastics and structure. From the Yak I would fish zmans (rigged with a 1/16 or less), trying to skip them in against pontoons, wharves, pylons and hulls (around sydney harbour). I would always keep an eye out for fish feeding off barnacles at the surface. Listen for the suck, look for the splash and skip your plastic right at it.

I've only recently started targeting the flats and have had great success. I like to use cranks, minnows, shads etc, and slow roll them along the bottom. I like to get right down so the lure "tap, tap taps" along the bottom... I find this way I know when I'm at the right depth, and the tap tap is a really good way to judge the speed of your retrieve and slow it down if required.

Anyway, more than one way to skin a cat as they say, but they're my favorite techniques.
Old 17-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Big Bream

Where do people use grubs? Like z-man or wriggler style tails.
Old 17-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanlo View Post
Where do people use grubs? Like z-man or wriggler style tails.
Bridges, Yacht Clubs, Deep Walls and Large Rocks mainly for me.
Old 17-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Bridges, Yacht Clubs, Deep Walls and Large Rocks mainly for me.
I use mine in 1-2m of water mainly on a 1/16 or 1/8 head. Sometimes bridges, snags, or shoreline.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: