Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 28-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Mature Bream

How would you approach this situation ?

Was down the local the other evening hoping to lure up a big one when two fellas in gumboots rock up. I'll set the scene.

First they set out 6 or 7 PVC rod holders in the bank....I'm already thinking oh here we go...

Then they fill all the holders with "Beach rods".....I'm thinking ok Mulla fishos no sweat.

Then old mate pulls out a "Throw Net" obviously to catch some livies..... Now that would be fine but ...ALL NETTING is BANNED in the Swan/Canning rivers.

Now I have a real issue with
1. People breaking the rules - which often come about from people not doing the right thing in the first instance.(IMO)
2. People doing it at my local.

So would you approach them or just call the Fisheries or just turn a blind eye ?
Old 28-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Big Bream

Call fisheries for sure. Can be too dangerous to approach them (unless you're 6'6" and 130Kg) as most get pretty agressive when told that they're breaking the law. Not worth it, let fisheries deal with it.
Old 28-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvias_R View Post
Call fisheries for sure. Can be too dangerous to approach them (unless you're 6'6" and 130Kg) as most get pretty agressive when told that they're breaking the law. Not worth it, let fisheries deal with it.
The bigger they are the harder they fall, a nutcase wins over a big scary dude anyday
Old 28-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post
The bigger they are the harder they fall, a nutcase wins over a big scary dude anyday
This.

Unless you are a nutcase and back yourself and are positive they wont whip out the filleting knife, I'd leave them be and do the above mentioned gear for fisheries. (Although personally I'd struggle to have the self restraint ).
Old 28-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Big Bream

let fisheries deal with it mate. Its all well and good to say confront them but when ur the one in front of the magistrate on assault charges he wont care if they had to many rods, a net or whatever.
In this day and age 1 punch can = a jail term, is it really worth it ???
Old 28-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Blue Lip

Incase my above comment gets read the wrong way, I'm not talking about winding up in a blue with them. I'm along the lines of give them a gobful and letting them know they can't be doing what they are. But as has mentioned, no telling how the other parties will react to that...
Old 28-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Mature Bream

I usually strike up a normal conversation with people like that. Ask them what they are targeting etc & slip in a polite question about wether they know what they are doing is illegal. Many simply don't know they are not allowed to use nets in the Swan/Canning & will stop what they are up to if they are informed it's against the law. Others that turn around & say they just don't care, wander off a few hundred meters from them & call Fishwatch. I almost always give people a chance to do the right thing first but you have to be carefull about how you do it. Approach people aggressively & your more than likely going to get an aggressive response.
Old 28-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Blue Lip

You're not going to be so proud to be a hero if you have a knife in you, a black eye or some broken ribs. Be sensible irl and call fisheries, and save the heroism for the online trolling
Old 28-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Blue Lip

There are people out there who may blow things out of proportion, perhaps for psychological reasons or they are on drugs... the reasons can be many

If you're confronting strangers and challenging them over their actions - which they may themselves think are okay... eventually you are going to get a reaction you did not expect and possibly cannot handle

Don't be a dumbarse... call fisheries
Old 28-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Big Bream

I usually say something or then ring fisheries and take photos of cars them and plates discreetly though just do that
Old 28-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Big Bream

Yup I would call the man & take pics if possible.

Kayak PB's - Rainbow Trout 43cm - Bream 41cm - Flathead 55cm - Tailor 60+cm - Flounder 44cm - Sand Whiting 31cm - KGW 35cm - Mangrove Jack 33cm.
Old 28-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishoStu View Post
Yup I would call the man & take pics if possible.
x2
Old 29-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Mature Bream

A few years back I bumped into two guys at the ramp on the Nepean (SW Sydney) with 13 bass they were cleaning. I mentioned to them they were perhaps inadvertantly breaking the law but also that the etiquitte in the area was catch and release (I'm 6'3" 120kg). They pretended they thought they were bream. They had about 4 grand worth of gear and sounders on their canoe so I doubted it.
I got the number plate and a description and rang fisheries. I was a bit upset by it and told a couple of mates and then mentioned it at the local tackle store. It appears that others were more upset than me. The word spread and everytime they turned up at the ramp for the next 3 months someone let at least two of their tyres down. No one has seen them since.

I would politely mention to it to them first. If they arc up or you see them again tell fisheries....... and everyone else.
Old 28-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Blue Lip

why turn a blind eye to somethign illegal mate? Take any opportunity you can to put these scum buckets back in line
Old 28-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Big Bream

How many rods did you say they had?
Your only allowed to fish 3 per angler I think it is?

Kayak PB's - Rainbow Trout 43cm - Bream 41cm - Flathead 55cm - Tailor 60+cm - Flounder 44cm - Sand Whiting 31cm - KGW 35cm - Mangrove Jack 33cm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: