Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 20-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Blue Lip

Whats the largest lb leader you would use for fishing heavy timber snags?

Was just wondering what is every ones thoughts on the lb of leader you all would use when fishing heavy timber snags? And what would be the largest lb you would use in this environment?

Last edited by sexton; 20-02-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 20-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Blue Lip

depends on what you are targetting dude, but im guessing you mean for bream.

For bream I usually would fish 8lb, never found it necessary to go heavier. If there is by catch chance of a perch then ill up it to 10lb or 12lb in some cases if the fish are huge and in crazy snags, but otherwise 8lb is generally as heavy as I would go
Old 20-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Blue Lip

8-10lb flurocarbon and 10lb braid - both Unitika for hardbodies and plastics.

24lb braid and 20lb mono - surface

Has worked well for me

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 20-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Blue Lip

[QUOTE=The G factor;534974]depends on what you are targetting dude, but im guessing you mean for bream.

For bream I usually would fish 8lb, never found it necessary to go heavier. If there is by catch chance of a perch then ill up it to 10lb or 12lb in some cases if the fish are huge and in crazy snags, but otherwise 8lb is generally as heavy as I would go[/QUOT

Yer bream mate
Old 20-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
8-10lb flurocarbon and 10lb braid - both Unitika for hardbodies and plastics.
Ditto here , I've been getting the mickey taken out of me for a few years now for suggesting this is the way to go on the Murray , yet every week without fail I read of guys getting done over , only to fess up they are using 4 or 6 .
Fine if you like catching rats all day and getting wiped out when that bigger size comes along then crying.......... "I got smoked".
What's the point ??... unless your sponsored

8 and 10 for me .
Old 20-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Mature Bream

I went with 10 lb last time I fished heavy snag and got absolutely smoked by a monster of a fish off the surface. I pretty much just watched a PB slip through my hands haha. but i think i was just a bit unlucky.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Mature Bream

have seen 16lb used and came back frayed,,anything else and would of been all over,,sometimes heavier line might be used to help with rugged areas,,but then on flats people will run 2lb straight thru,,brave but very finnesse fishing and great fun when you know you got a bit of room to let them run,,but in snags i'm one for heavier.
Old 20-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Big Bream

i usually stick with 6lb, yeah you get bricked everynow and then but im not going to tie on a heavier leader for these seldom events, if i start hooking into tailor on hbs ill up it to 12lb thou.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve anderson View Post
Ditto here , I've been getting the mickey taken out of me for a few years now for suggesting this is the way to go on the Murray , yet every week without fail I read of guys getting done over , only to fess up they are using 4 or 6 .
Fine if you like catching rats all day and getting wiped out when that bigger size comes along then crying.......... "I got smoked".
What's the point ??... unless your sponsored

8 and 10 for me .
Pretty much sums it up mate.

I'v been using 6lb leader for a fair while now,and in some places it has done the job,but not always!

Most of my bream fishing is throwing hardbodies into very heavy timber hard up on the bank and working it back to the boat.And with out fail every session I am down at least two hardbodies due to only having the leader just touch the snag and its all over.Last weekends session seen me down six hardsThe rats are no problem at all,its the bigger bream.And I am hooking up on alot of these big bream And it makes me think that Im stupid for going so light in such heavy timber.I have upgraded rods,reels,and braid.And to loose soo many good quality bream is just got to the point where enough is enough. So I am thinking maybe going up to 10lb.Dont get me wrong,I have had that lucky moment where I have managed to pull the big bream out,but have lost a fair few more,from fishing light.

Just thought I would see what other BM thoughts are.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post
i usually stick with 6lb, yeah you get bricked everynow and then but im not going to tie on a heavier leader for these seldom events, if i start hooking into tailor on hbs ill up it to 12lb thou.
This one such river,I fish alot,is not such a seldom event,there are big bream in this river and getting bricked happens atleast 2 to 6 times a session. Other rivers I have fished alot,do get the odd smoking here and there,which is fine with 6lb,but this one river just hands your bum to ya.And its garanteed that you will get a couple of smokings!

I'm just worried that if I do go heavier leader,it will put my bite rate down?
Old 20-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Mature Bream

I run 8lb fc rock for all my bream and snag work . I also use it for dam bass and flathead. its the largest leader I like to use with micro guides. I do how ever get bricked.
Old 20-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Blue Lip

6lb max for me on the big perch/bream in the timber get less takers when going heavier!
Old 20-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
This one such river,I fish alot,is not such a seldom event,there are big bream in this river and getting bricked happens atleast 2 to 6 times a session. Other rivers I have fished alot,do get the odd smoking here and there,which is fine with 6lb,but this one river just hands your bum to ya.And its garanteed that you will get a couple of smokings!

I'm just worried that if I do go heavier leader,it will put my bite rate down?
in clear water it would have to make a little difference, but then again ive caught bream on 20lb mono when i ran out of learer one day.

hardbodies you should be able to get away with a heavier leader because you are pulling the lure to create attention, but with plastics i think lighter the better because when you hop them you dont want stiff/thicker leader impairing there drop/flutter action.
Old 21-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Mature Bream

Ill never go over 6lb. My main heavy timber leader I will tie on is 5lb. Yes you do get smoked from time to time but the enhanced strike rate makes it worth while. As long as you turn the fish super quick an get him off that timber there is no issue.
Old 21-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Blue Lip

I fish heavy structure 90 percent of the time and never go higher than 6pd
Have gone to 8pd but I won't get a chance with the big guys they are way to smart
Sure I get smoked plenty and it costs me , but they know me now and if I go higher they just laugh at me
If its dirty sure 8 to 10pd would be fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post