Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
And another company call it ATD 😅
Who knows what they'll call it next time their workers accidentally shove more grease in.
Old 20-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Poddy Bream

Auto Tune Drag System

Old 20-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
Great feature. Definitely prevents fatigue while also protects the fish population by automatically select and release the big breeders. I reckon this is one feature that should be standard on all tournament reels!
Old 20-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Poddy Bream

Yep, after a prolong fight, the reel automatically sense that the angler is an idiot that sets his drag way too light so the reel takes over and automatically shorten the fight.

"Hey bud, I noticed you're tied to that 70lbs Tarpon for an hour now and you and I both know, you ain't going to land that Tarpon with 5 lbs of drag. I mean you touched the leader 5 times but so what. That fish is just playing with you. If you haven't noticed, he tooked a breather every time he came up to gulp for air. Every time you dipped the rod underwater just to try and keep him from coming up, he just stopped pulling and swam toward you and came up for air while looking at you and said "Do I look like most stupid Tarpon that runs and jumps and tires himself out?" Besides, that afternoon thunderstorm is approaching so I'm going to push that already frayed crappy 10lbs Nanofil a little harder the next time he takes off. You tied the FG knot so it should hold. Besides, you look a little worn out and I've got a lot more in me than this measly 5lbs of drag. I've got the guts to handle 20lbs of drag and I'm showing the Tarpon who's boss."

Last edited by aquaholik; 20-11-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 20-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Poddy Bream

Best Stradic yet

In all seriousness I think it's the best Stradic yet. Never tried an FJ, but the FI got sloppy real quick and the fit and finish was awful. I've disassembled the FK side by side next to the Stella FE and wondered if it makes any sense to but any more smaller Stella reel. Rotor seal checked, ARB seal checked, handle seal checked, end cap checked. Sure the drag system is still way behind my 2005 Twinpower but if the next Stradic adds a bearing under the drag washers in the spool and in the spool shaft, there wouldn't be any reason to buy the next tier reel. Upgrade the drag and replace that bushing in the main shaft and it's a little 8 oz powerhouse. So far the internal gears have proven themselves to be very well supported after 80 hours of relatively heavy use. No noise, no ticks, and no sign of sloppiness.

And best of all, the drag ratchet is swappable with my no longer supported 2005 Twinpower. Even the drag washers are the same size. My 2005 Twinpower drag have gone very quiet and the drag ratchet plastic teeth are pretty well worn out.

Last edited by aquaholik; 20-11-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 20-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Big Bream

Completely agreed.

I find it very puzzling when ppl make comments about the previous Stradics being better reels. I've always been a certate custom and Stella user till few months ago. I bought couple Stradic fj as bait fishing reels but even for tossing bait I found them taking away some of the joy of fishing. The fj were very sloppy, had lots of play here and there and lost initial tightness after few fish. Just as I thought I had to go back to Stellas, I bought couple
Stradic fk under the recommendation of a mate. The stradic pleasantly surprised me and even for lure fishing I no longer find myself wanting a Stella. For 200 bucks a pop I seriously wonder how shimano can pull this one off! Taking apart fk and fj side by side, fj is a joke.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Big Bream

Always been a huge Daiwa Fan, recently replaced all my 2004's with 1000 size stradics (Fk's and CI4's) after owning a 2500FK Stradic since they came out, don't have a single thing bad to say about them, they seem pretty bullet proof.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Blue Lip

Calling the FJ a joke... lol
Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Big Bream

Fj is a joke compared to fk. Both reels side by side it's hard to picture how they could charge similar amounts for the two. Fj should be at most half the cost of a fk
Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin19870316 View Post
Fj should be at most half the cost of a fk
Elaborate...
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
Is there any grease on the rubber seal in the spool above the drag?

This is a known issue in many reels not just shimano with the drag tightening up due to no grease on the rubber lip seal, being tightened by the spool spinning off drag
Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Elaborate...
Don't need to. You of all should know exactly why I stated the above. Just pull them apart and lay out the parts side by side.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
Is there any grease on the rubber seal in the spool above the drag?
You'd be suprised how little that lip seal actually contacts the side of the cylinder that houses the drag in the spool. I add a small amount of MX6 to that seal so that it improves water sealing charictoristics - how much contact that would have to self tighten the drag would see some form of mechanical bind from the top washer on that drag knob itself...

Quote:
Don't need to. You of all should know exactly why I stated the above. Just pull them apart and lay out the parts side by side.
You got to lol. I read what you said and its "hearsay" as such. Just because you say its better than a FJ its pretty unsupported by just saying its better. The FJ over its life has done a lot more work over the globe than the new FK and these newer reels havent had the time for any real issues to come evident yet. Time will tell...

If you provide some form of factual proof either in terms or pictures - you know how I picture stuff on FB and do so on here. I have done a swath of FK's in the last few weeks and one was dunked momentarily and it was full of water and I mean full (alike my FJ that I purposly dunked for that dunked your reel tute) - water got straight past all those 'seals', some of these seals are rigid and pointless especially the one over the AR. I had to add again MX6 grease into this area to make an effective seal, adding silicon grease here also would suffice.

Now quickly going part by part, the oscillation drive in the FJ is made from near enough the same plastics of the FK, however fewer parts and a simpler drive in essence, and the FK's 3 extra cogs to drive oscillation to the worm drive is a little over complex in its reduction gearing and the main gear off the pinion is too thin for my liking. If that strips out in the field - nice looking reel is going to be out of action - I am doubtfull that the FJ's would strip due to it being a third or more thicker.

There is no real part by part comparison between the FI, FJ etc to the FK at all as the FK was a new design. The only real carry over is the body with its half aluminium half XT7G graphite side (gearbox carrier) plate. Everything else has been a new design and this is the first of the new series which needs to be tested thouroughly in the field - in which the consumer is doing at this point.

I have more to add soon.

Last edited by Slazmo; 11-12-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Big Bream

My hearsay has been based on actually owning, using, servicing and at times repairing 6 FJ and 6 FK over the last few months. All the fj became loose and gradually geary over the first 10 Jew or threadies. Fk didn't lose any of the initial tightness, smoothness or power over more punishment. And btw I don't pump and wind all the time either so I'm quite tough on those 'thinner' gear. And you ask how I know they didn't become loose? Instead of trying to recall how they felt from day one, I have three 3000hg fk and one is used for Jew one is used for squid and one is still brand new so yeah I've actually done a comparison in controlled environment without any variables.

Now when I took them apart the wear and tear is more significant on the fj. Gears were more 'polished' and bearing housings are too. The worm gear grease went black and had more metal shavings compared to the fk. Fk with 'unnecessary parts' actually held it's alignment much better. There are easily 20 percent more parts on fk which normally means double the RRP. The quality and fitting of those parts are both a step above that of the simple workhorse FJ.

Fj won't fail, fk may or may not. But fk is a much improved reel when it comes to finesse and feel. It's more a Certate if you know what that means.

Waterproofing is never a strong suit for anything but the top line. But again even saltigas fail miserably so yeah.

Hope this is the explaining you are after. fk is actually one reel that restores the newer is better which has been long lost in this industry.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
My hearsay has been based on actually owning, using, servicing and at times repairing 6 FJ and 6 FK over the last few months..
Yeh understanding that however you gotto show pictures of that otherwise its hearsay, The pinion and main gear are similar between the two reels, brass pinion and a Paladin Aluminium main gear - how more efficiently are these gears cut from the FJ to the FK is beyond me however the FK does have a tighter helical cut on the pinion and its much longer than previous models. All gears will polish over time and use, and some need to as its wear on a normal scale.

Quote:
All the fj became loose and gradually geary over the first 10 Jew or threadies. Fk didn't lose any of the initial tightness, smoothness or power over more punishment. And btw I don't pump and wind all the time either so I'm quite tough on those 'thinner' gear. And you ask how I know they didn't become loose? Instead of trying to recall how they felt from day one, I have three 3000hg fk and one is used for Jew one is used for squid and one is still brand new so yeah I've actually done a comparison in controlled environment without any variables. ..
&
Quote:
Now when I took them apart the wear and tear is more significant on the fj. Gears were more 'polished' and bearing housings are too. ..
The FJ is not as tight however thats for a number of factors. For one the cups OD & ID on the bearings are out for sure. I have picked that up for years now and can rectify that. Machines wearing in and loosening up is normal, thats mechanical wear and should be serviced and shims can be added over time to alleviate that wear, this is normal as usual.

The unknown variables are that of you using your reels, like myself you / we look after our gear unlike many others however we cant be that static base line for / to compare to others or others to compare to. We are but of a small group of people that do things differently with reels...

Will I ever buy a FK - simply no. There is no reason to and I cannot see any real reason to in regards to any fundimental upgrade to the prior FJ model. Drags are the same and so are spool sizes, gears similar and nothing else that I could say that would give me an edge over the prior modle? It would be like saying why buy the new magseal certate over the old non magsealed certate? The technology (percieved or implied) does not add any value to the reel that I would be using to fork out another $250 for new reels.

My FJ's are set up how I like them and theyre a aggricultural work horse, simple, effective and cheap. Yeh I have pumped them full of extra bearings and polished their internals and shimmed them tighter than a fishes rectum - theyre not your everday garden variety Stradic in terms, however embody how a FJ should have come from factory - I look after them and they look after me exceptionally well over the years.

Quote:
The worm gear grease went black and had more metal shavings compared to the fk. Fk with 'unnecessary parts' actually held it's alignment much better. ..
The worm drive shaft in the FJ is hard chromed brass and will go black with use, its normal with either grease or oil use and its the same with the slides that the alu-alloy pawl carrier that slides along them - the oil will go dark with use - polished or unpolished OEM as standard.

Metal shavings? Thats strange, I go through quoet a few damaged and well used reels and found non to memory other than the microscopic machine swarf during BNIB washout I do with my reels - and showed in pictures both on here and FB.

The FK while now having a aluminium worm drive shaft is coated in Tuffram (alike a self lubricating anodizing), this will wear less and self lubricate the pawl and shoudlnt go dark as quick, this notable in the FA Ci4+'s however again dependant on user use and servicing schedules. All my worm drives are greased however it depends on use how quick the grease goes black / or if it ever does?

The worm drive shaft forward bushing in the new FK is tiny and disproportunate to its use and structure use. The FJ backwards in series had the long deep supported tube bush in which was a little over OD'd in its size supported more of the worm drive shaft and was a simple replaced item and easy to oil without the need for full dissasembly.

Quote:
There are easily 20 percent more parts on fk which normally means double the RRP. The quality and fitting of those parts are both a step above that of the simple workhorse FJ. ..
Not necessarily true - some other parts were redesigned and removed, processes can change and things can become cheaper - even in todays market.

Again the notion of a machine is charictorised by the sum of all its parts and only as strong as its weakest... My reasoning and deduction however on a visual review of said parts.

The last 5k FJ I did that you would have seen Kev on my FB was missing its pinion gear lower bearing, worn round oscillation pawl and a few other issues, however when saod parts replaced the extremely worm and well abused FJ came good - I mean not like my 5K FJ in smoothness or looks however performs valiantly for how its been treated in its past life - and how it was savagly serviced by someone on site (remote work site) without the knowledge on how to or reassemble.

Quote:
Fj won't fail, fk may or may not. But fk is a much improved reel when it comes to finesse and feel. It's more a Certate if you know what that means. ..
Simplicity of a Certate, a Stradic will never be. Two different reels by a country mile. Also a certate has a full metal body and prone to all sorts of dunking issues 'washable body' design.

Quote:
Waterproofing is never a strong suit for anything but the top line. But again even saltigas fail miserably so yeah. ..
And dont we both know that.

Quote:
Hope this is the explaining you are after. fk is actually one reel that restores the newer is better which has been long lost in this industry.
Agree to some degree and disagree - but thats whats needed in the world. I cant fanboy my whole life lol...

Last edited by Slazmo; 12-12-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: