Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 AM
SLAZMO

I'm going to say this while rolling my head and eyes at the se time...

"Time to start using exotic materials in their design! Titanium bail wire, ceramic balls in their bearings to reduce rolling weight, and greater options in ratios".
Aftermarket drop in gear sets - not that hard?!?

Christ - we put a man on the moon, Russia patented 'Scandium' and make lada cars which defy the rules of quality and every rule of normality.

It's just so tiring to see big companies resting on their posteriors - coming up with technological junk names and then giving it a few runs generation wise eg: super stopper & super stopper 2... I wish they would push the envelope and stop wringing consumers dry for old tech made new.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAZMO View Post

"Time to start using exotic materials in their design! Titanium bail wire, ceramic balls in their bearings to reduce rolling weight, and greater options in ratios".

Christ - we put a man on the moon, Russia patented 'Scandium' and make lada cars which defy the rules of quality and every rule of normality.

It's just so tiring to see big companies resting on their posteriors - coming up with technological junk names and then giving it a few runs generation wise eg: super stopper & super stopper 2... I wish they would push the envelope and stop wringing consumers dry for old tech made new.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:

The simple answer is money.
Big business like Shimano look for the most cost effective ways to produce products, what you are suggesting would result in an expensive reel they couldn't sell if they still wanted profits with components like that.
It's cheaper to come up with 'super stopper'and 'xship' to sell reels.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Blue Lip

Or Zaion Real Four.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Mature Bream

I bet they will bring out another reel in the future above the stella.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt jorg View Post
The simple answer is money.
Big business like Shimano look for the most cost effective ways to produce products, what you are suggesting would result in an expensive reel they couldn't sell if they still wanted profits with components like that.
It's cheaper to come up with 'super stopper'and 'xship' to sell reels.
But the ever more discerning fisho is looking past all this and looking to the future.

Just see the time that they will have to evolve ad start introducing these materials. They're so far behind other manufacturing technologies its beyond me.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:

But the ever more discerning fisho is looking past all this and looking to the future.

Just see the time that they will have to evolve ad start introducing these materials. They're so far behind other manufacturing technologies its beyond me.
I do agree fishing gear especially reels could be much more technological than what they are but do they need to be?, have they really changed much in 20 years? And do you really need ceramic hybrid titanium space age tech In a fishing reel?
Ill buy the best you can get cause I like nice gear but I'm certainly still impressed with the latest and don't think its underdone.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
SLAZMO

I think that technology needs to evolve where it's needed. Certainly with bearings - there are many issues with them and it seems that theyre a sacrificial element in reels to keep them going back to get fixed. Daiwa has put mag seal into their roller bearing which just makes things over complicated.

I think where due the manufacturers need to look beyond simple aluminium, alloying it with other materials or even using 6061 / 7005 t series would see ridgity improved. Bail arm wires are a no brainier - soft form / jewellery Ti is 30% stronger than steel and completely rust resistant. Yet is affordable to everyone - they wouldn't have to change the process that much to go from stainless to Ti...

Just a shame that companies have tunnel vision with dollar signes at the end of it.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Big Bream

i'd still be happy with what we have now, even in 50 years time. At the end of the day we all can either take a Stella 2500 or a Stradic 2500 and catch the exact same fish, day in day out.

I think if people took way more care of what they have instead of making excuses for parts malfunctioning and wondering if the next gen reel will be better; it would be much easier to understand this is pretty much the limits of spin reels.

Technology wont catch fish, it wasn't all that long ago we had cane and hand lines.

As it is now, with technology you've got to fish with a 1000 or 2500 reel max and 6lb line to find the sport in fishing
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Russia patented 'Scandium' and make lada cars which defy the rules of quality and every rule of normality.
To be fair to Russians, the first model of Lada car was a slightly modified Fiat 124 and was assebled in the Italian built plant so it wasn't a russian designed car to start with...

Monster Miki Addict
Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:

I see what you are saying, but, I have never had a bail arm corrode (has anyone?) and don't ceramic bearings need more regular servicing than what we currently use? Not to mention the costs involved, some of these reels with 10+ bearings would have $300+ just in bearings in the reel, longevity maybe, but the product has to be at a marketable price that appeals to the masses, not just one person who may buy one if they like the colour, shape etc etc.

I can just imagine if these manufacturers started selling aftermarket gear sets, the number of people that would pull their $1000 + reels to bits then cant get them back together or do get them back together and fill them with impurities that wear them out or reduce performance. Not to mention with the way these mag seals and that work you pretty much cant be fiddling with them yourself anyway, nor do you need to.

I am a big fan of if its not broken why fix it, and in my situation I have never been left wanting with a reel in the last few years, the mid to top range stuff is all great in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Blue Lip

IMO the tackle companies seriously underestimate their audience’s ability to buy over-priced kit to go fishing with.

Take me for example, I have more exists than I know what to do with, megabass this, branzino that, custom whatever and I still want more. I don’t get to fish as much as I would like (some say I fish too much) but when I do go out I want the best gear in my hand so I appreciate the time fully. Would I pay $300 extra to have a reel that was better? Yes. Ceramic bearings in the crucial areas (roller, handle, knob, spool support sign me up. Titanium spool and frame? Yes sir.
I am not sure why there aren't limited runs of these especially from the guys at Diawa who I assume could pull together the resources of guys like Megabass to fund a project in decadence.

Would I buy an exist zero hyper custom branzino steez Ti? Any discount on four?
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Mature Bream

^^ couldn't agree more breamingwithjoy!! ^^
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
IMO the tackle companies seriously underestimate their audience’s ability to buy over-priced kit to go fishing with.

Take me for example, I have more exists than I know what to do with, megabass this, branzino that, custom whatever and I still want more. I don’t get to fish as much as I would like (some say I fish too much) but when I do go out I want the best gear in my hand so I appreciate the time fully. Would I pay $300 extra to have a reel that was better? Yes. Ceramic bearings in the crucial areas (roller, handle, knob, spool support sign me up. Titanium spool and frame? Yes sir.
I am not sure why there aren't limited runs of these especially from the guys at Diawa who I assume could pull together the resources of guys like Megabass to fund a project in decadence.

I have to disagree Ross. I'm quite comfortable for Daiwa to NOT make a reel with all body parts and rotor machined from titanium billet. Including base plate, rotor side plates, handle..... Etc. Simply because.....

I DONT WANNA SPEND ANY MORE BLOODY MONEY!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post

I used to be like that but not now but your right if they design I better spin reel and it cost them $1500 to produce and your willing to pay that's you right to do so.i just think catching bream and so forth doesn't need lots of money spent it but like I said each to the own