Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Mature Bream

Luvias 2506

Received my luvias 2506 last Friday and fished the reel on the weekend. The reel is well constructed and spool is very similar to my Exist, overall performance is good, however one thing which I am very disappointed is the reel is made in Thailand, I would expected a $300+ reel should be manufactured in Japan
Old 18-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Mature Bream

Made in Thailand!! disappointting with all the hype
Old 18-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by YipD View Post
Received my luvias 2506 last Friday and fished the reel on the weekend. The reel is well constructed and spool is very similar to my Exist, overall performance is good, however one thing which I am very disappointed is the reel is made in Thailand, I would expected a $300+ reel should be manufactured in Japan
Hi:

How about the 1003 are they made in Japan or same as the 2506 which made in Thailand???
I am thinking of matching my BlackDiamond Clear Cut 1-3 kg with 1003, what are your thoughts???

Cheers
Old 18-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Mature Bream

Mate,

I don't own the 1003 but I assume it should made in Thailand as well. If I remember correctly my old luvias 2000 was made in Japan. Honestly If I knew it is not made in Japan I would not have brought it.....

Regards

Yipd
Old 18-10-2007, 02:26 AM
Mature Bream

WOW - That is a big deal that even their dealers dont know about..

All the Daiwa dealers are bagging Shimano for having their reels built outside Japan (namely China) and now Daiwa do this.. talk about pie on their face..

Supported by :

My wife
Old 18-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Mature Bream

Like I said before I wouldn't expected a $300+ reel is built outside Japan. If the reel cost $100 - $200 I can understand that you get what you paid for....If the coming high end reel like the big stella and saltiga made in China and Thailand I will be very
Old 18-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Big Bream

seriously, does it make a difference where its made??
Shimano has always made their reels in Malaysia or China. Daiwa also has reels made in Thailand and China for a very long time. Imagine if that luvias was made in Japan, I dont think you'll be paying $300+.... Look at the TD Sol, made in Thailand, so far its the most popular and best value mid range reel from Daiwa.

Personally I wouldnt worry so much. I can understand that the top end reels are to be made in Japan to warrant the prices on them.

Last edited by riceboy; 18-10-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 18-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
seriously, does it make a difference where its made?? .
yes I think it does.. how many people would buy Ferrari's if they were made in Korea.. or Geelong for that matter.. and how many people would buy Mercedes if they were made in Pakistan or wherever ?? :-)

Quote:
Shimano has always made their reels in Malaysia or China. Daiwa also has reels made in Thailand and China for a very long time..
yes, but these were their lower end reels being used by average joe for their twice yearly fish..

Quote:
Imagine if that luvias was made in Japan, I dont think you'll be paying $300+.... Look at the TD Sol, made in Thailand, so far its the most popular and best value mid range reel from Daiwa. .
The old Luvias WAS made in Japan.. and sold for similar $$.. so why could the new one not be.. Do you think the Sol is of the same quality as the old Luvias ?? besides being ugly .. I dont think so..

Quote:
Personally I wouldnt worry so much. I can understand that the top end reels are to be made in Japan to warrant the prices on them.
I could not justify paying $400+ (Campbells price - more at your local for sure) for a Chinese made reel.. maybe $200..

Supported by :

My wife
Old 18-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Blue Lip

Although I prefer Jap-made, ditto to this.

Quote:
Personally I wouldnt worry so much.
If the quality and quality control is still there, I don't see where the problem lies.
Without having the reel in my hands, I can't make a judgement.

I am quite happy with the quality of my old-school Capricorn (made in Thailand).

All the gear, no idea
Old 18-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Mature Bream

I have a few Daiwa reels....SOL 2500 was made in Thailand till now it's still my favourite.
Also Caldia KIX 4000 made in Japan, havent had a chance to test it out, hopefully this weekend would be the one!!!

Cheers
Old 18-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Mature Bream

Quality control in Japan is way much better than in Thailand and China. It just gives me more confidence.
Old 18-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_guy View Post
I have a few Daiwa reels....SOL 2500 was made in Thailand till now it's still my favourite.
Also Caldia KIX 4000 made in Japan, havent had a chance to test it out, hopefully this weekend would be the one!!!

Cheers
I have these two identical reels, the Sol has developed a noise from the bail roller bearing (apparently common). While not used as much, the Caldia remains perfect Other than that, the Sol has accounted for 3 schoolies and a few bream and works very well. I made the mistake of having a few flicks with a mate's Exist the other week. Makes the Sol feel like a heavy clunker
Old 18-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyman View Post
yes I think it does.. how many people would buy Ferrari's if they were made in Korea.. or Geelong for that matter.. and how many people would buy Mercedes if they were made in Pakistan or wherever ?? :-)..
OK, firstly, how many of us drive a Ferrari regardless of where its made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyman View Post
yes, but these were their lower end reels being used by average joe for their twice yearly fish..

The Shimano Biomaster 2005 was made in Malaysia too and you couldn't really tell it apart from the japanese made biomaster.
Being made outside Japan ultimately results in it being cheaper than if it was made in Japan. The old Luvias was made in Japan, but it was also quite expensive to the point where if you had the money to get a Luvias, you could add less than $100 to get a Certate which is a few classes above. The Sol and Caldia Kix were made in Thailand and way cheaper although the numbers of BBs were not much different. Its a trade off... you can't expect to get a high end reel for a low price. It comes down to what you can afford and what you're willing to put up with. That said, once you've ventured into the high $200 to $400 mark the reels are pretty good regardless of where they're made. And then there's the certate...

Last edited by CHUNQX; 18-10-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 18-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
Being made outside Japan ultimately results in it being cheaper than if it was made in Japan. The old Luvias was made in Japan, but it was also quite expensive to the point where if you had the money to get a Luvias, you could add less than $100 to get a Certate which is a few classes above. The Sol and Caldia Kix were made in Thailand and way cheaper although the numbers of BBs were not much different. Its a trade off... you can't expect to get a high end reel for a low price. It comes down to what you can afford and what you're willing to put up with. That said, once you've ventured into the high $200 to $400 mark the reels are pretty good regardless of where they're made. And then there's the certate...
All good points..

If spending $400+ on a reel - I want it made in Japan..

Supported by :

My wife
Old 18-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheers View Post
If the reel is well constructed, smooth and durable, I couldn't care if it was made out of stolen cars in the frontyard of a Doveton flat!
that is exactly the point - the durability of the non-Japanese made units is an unkown..

and yes.. every part that goes into a Ferrari is made in the factory in Italy.. saw the show on Nat Geo

Supported by :

My wife