Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Mature Bream

I am thinking about getting a small reel for trout. I have sacraficed my certate to save the exist, the anti-reverse always is the trouble.

Wanted a 1000s, but the problem I see is the retrival speed is not fast enough in strong stream. My certate 2000 definitely is too slow for me. And if I have the 1000s and I have a lure tangled on the tree, half of the braid will be gone and I don't want to carry a spare spool of braid all the time.

Don't know yet, still thinking. I was tempted with the new stella, but I better wait if the new exist should come out soon.

Last edited by Isokaze; 23-02-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 23-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Blue Lip

One of the main things I find if the balance of the outfit. I have a couple of 6foot 8 rods that a 2500 is too big for so I have put 1000 size reels on them and they are great. I also have a coupe of 7 foot 2 rods that feel funny with the 1000 size on them so I went for the 2500 on them and they are balanced.

If you are only fishing bream heavier drags and larger line capacities really aren't a high priority.

Get a Shimano you won't look back.

All reels above are Stradics, great value for money reel.
Old 23-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Blue Lip

I've found that a 1000 reel is great for finesse style fishing, slow gentle retrieves.
A 2500 reel often doesnt feel natural when trying for a really really slow retrieve, as more line is retrieved per turn of the spool.

I like 1000's for fishing flats & rock walls, where I can work the lure super slow into the current, I prefer a 2500 for fishing surface lures in racks, where I can lock the drag up and wind like buggery to stop getting bricked...

If you have an electric motor attached to a boat, you can always give chase if you do hook onto a monster, which I have done before myself, so 1000 line capacity shouldn't be a problem if your chasing esturine species.

Land based its a bit harder, or in a yak - unless u have the pedals I guess?

I have no experiance in the ci4's, but I think it depends on what you want to use the reel for as to what size you get.

www.crankalures.com
Old 23-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Blue Lip

OK, here's the bit I didn't mention yet. I currently have a Luvias 2004 (silver Zaion model) that I've allocated for the Megabass rod... It balances well at 195g for the 2004. The stradic is approx 165-168g depending on where you get the info from and the lightweight appeals to me but not sure if its a big step backwards going from a Luvi to the Stradic... Also not sure whether it will end up being tip heavy with the Stradic.
Old 23-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Blue Lip

Take the rod down to a shop and put the reel on it. Best way to do it.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Blue Lip

Not overly concerned about the balance. More the smoothness, durability of the stradic vs the luvias.
Old 24-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Big Bream

I have both the silver luvias 2000 and ci4 2500. Durability wouldn't be a concern of the ci4 IMO, it feels very solid. As for smoothness, the luvi is smoother but in saying that, the ci4 is still smooth.
Old 24-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka-T View Post
I have both the silver luvias 2000 and ci4 2500. Durability wouldn't be a concern of the ci4 IMO, it feels very solid. As for smoothness, the luvi is smoother but in saying that, the ci4 is still smooth.
That was what I was after. Also, after some time, is there a degradation/ improvement in any of them?
Old 24-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
Not overly concerned about the balance. More the smoothness, durability of the stradic vs the luvias.
Not the Ci4 but I have a Stradic FH, I have had it for 5 years and looked after it. It is still a great reel and would be expecting more good years of fishing out of it. I assume the Ci4 would be the same if not better.
Old 24-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWorm View Post
Not the Ci4 but I have a Stradic FH, I have had it for 5 years and looked after it. It is still a great reel and would be expecting more good years of fishing out of it. I assume the Ci4 would be the same if not better.
Shimanos will go and go and go... mate of mine has a fh that hes been using for 10 years, feels like my brand new symetere
Bream are like girls... I put to much effort into chasing them
www.vyak.net- Sheepy
Old 24-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Big Bream

only reason i'd choose a 2500 over a 1000 is if i needed extra line capacity, longer casting(flats). drag isnt really an issue, you'd never use 3kg drag on bream. finally buy whatever balances best. 99% of the time i get the rod 1st and then choose the reel to suit.
Old 24-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
That was what I was after. Also, after some time, is there a degradation/ improvement in any of them?
The luvi is the same as the day I got it while the ci4 has gotten smoother over time. The ci4 does feel more solid though. I was using it chasing rat kings and to be honest, I'd feel more comfortable using the ci4 than the luvi in that situation.
Old 27-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
In regards to trevs on the 1000 size... Using 5lb main and a 6lb fluro leader I landed this on my 1000 -

The leader was my only concern during the fight. The main line, rod and especially the reel were never going to be a liability against such a fish. I am not certain as to how much line I had on the reel, but I would estimate at anything between 150 and 200m.

Caught this year in Townsville,

Majorcrafr volkey 692XUL
Shimano Conquest 50s
120yd of Tasline All White 6x30D PE4
10lb Nitlon DFC.
Boat anchored.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: