Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Flies

Flies The place to be if you chase them on the magic wand.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Blue Lip

Red face

Bear - got to be happy with those for your first ties one suggestion though I found when I first started tying I always used too much wing material especially for crazy charlies,gotchas and similar flats type flies. Some of these e.g the middle orange winged creations I'd use half as much wing - got any polar fibre or craft fur ? Less is more. I've still got some of my first ties done in a pair of vice grips held in a bench vice before I even had a bobbin holder and if I dig them out they should get a laugh------------------Brad those shrimp things I assume are the mo mantis they look unreal couldn't put a post up on their tying could you ? Not really happy with any shrimp/prawn patterns I've tied except maybe the ones I've posted previously - epoxy ones I find difficult to get just enough but not too much so the sink slow. Keep 'em coming might have to hit the vice again Pat
Old 13-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Fishing Tragic

Thanks Pat, started doing that last night. I'll post up a few more I tied based on a few others I've seen.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 14-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Blue Lip

Caught this monster GT on a pink assed BMS couple of hours ago along with a few toadies and a nice garfish. The gar was on a bread fly. This GT is runner up to the smallest thing I ever caught on a fly - a 50mm black bream wins that award. A positive they can only get bigger . Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro GT on BMS 001.jpg (41.9 KB, 468 views)
Old 14-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4weightfanatic View Post
Caught this monster GT on a pink assed BMS couple of hours ago along with a few toadies and a nice garfish. The gar was on a bread fly. This GT is runner up to the smallest thing I ever caught on a fly - a 50mm black bream wins that award. A positive they can only get bigger . Pat
Might have to become 1weightfanatic soon
Old 14-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Blue Lip

Pat
Google hardcore fly tying and there is a vid of the mo mantis. Those shrimpy things I can't take credit for as they were off another website. Will put some more detail on them tonight. Actually I will try to video one being tied on my half busted vise.
Old 14-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Fishing Tragic

http://vimeo.com/21561399

Last edited by Bear; 14-05-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 14-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Blue Lip

Yep thats the one. Music may not be your style, but turn the volume down and enjoy the fly tying. There is another one called the stanky leg clouser that looks sweet too
Old 14-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Fishing Tragic

HAHA, was just about to post this as I've been tying a few in different colours.

http://castingtales.wordpress.com/20...y-leg-clouser/

Old 14-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Blue Lip

Thanks Bear and Brad R.E. mo mantis tying unfortunately my PC has trouble playing vimeo and youtube videos even though I'm on bigpond wireless not dial up. I can see by the pics though that theyr'e pretty basic palmered hackle body,rubber legs (tied like a squimp fly) dumbell weight. The eyes look like coloured burnt mono with a bit of crystal flash for antenna - they do look buggy & by the sound of the video the bones love them. I'll have to photograph some of my shrimp flies that incorporate hackle bodies. Pat
Old 14-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Blue Lip

Ok so the vid i took turned out pretty crap so i havent done it up but here is a rundown of the two and a pic of my version of the mo mantis.

Tying instructions- flats shrimp fly

Lay a bed of olive or chartreuse thread along an SL12 size 2. Tie in four or five pieces of pearl crystal flash- leaving two longer. Take two sewing pins (the ones with coloured plastic heads) and cut half the pin metal off with some pliers and bend just below the head so they sit out the side. Tie these in and build up the thread all the way so its roughly level and then tie in a set of eyes at the end. Then tie in your legs- I usually use chartreuse or olive grizzly legs. Then yeah palmer a hackle feather around the legs and up to the eyes and take the last tip over the eyes so it just folds over the hook eye. Finish the head and coat with what ever cement you use.

The mo mantis is kind of like a long gotchya but more body to it. I dont do it exactly like the vid.

Lay a bed of tan, shrimp pink or orange thread along an SL12 hook in size 2. Tie in the tail which is some tan craft fur with half a dozen strands of pearl crystal flash. Tie in a small tuft of orange arctic fox hair over the craft fur so that it kind of surrounds and folds over it. Tie in a set of lead dumbell eyes about 3mm behind the hook eye. Behind the eyes tie in two orange and brown grizzly legs that have been folded in half- it comes out like 4 legs out the back. Then you need to fill in the gap between the eyes and the arctic fox fur- the fly body if you like. I have some medium ice chenille in olive that I use, but also made one out of olive BMS blend dubbed in. Wrap it over the legs so they come out between the body and the arctic fox fur. Take the thread back over the head and then I go a bit further than the video and tie in a very sparse bunch of tan EP fibres over the top of the hook- like the wing on a charlie. Finish off the head and coat with cement.

The mantis is supposedly a big bonefish fly. Its nothing like what people appear to use in christmas island where sparse patterns and small hooks are used etc, but im thinking with the slightly deeper water around exmouth and from what I can see the bones being possibly larger in exmouth too, I think it should be a pretty successful fly twitched along the sand for bones and goldens on our trip to exxy in august. The colours I chose to try and represent a shrimp as closely as possible, but I might make up a couple of bright chartreuse ones just because i can.
Old 14-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Blue Lip

Here are some more pics

Flats stuff

More of the shrimpy things

Smaller clousers

Bendbacks

Larger clousers

Small baitfish styles

My spangly fly- trying to imitate a 90mm gold/orange skin deep RMG scorpion

Merkin style crabs
Old 14-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Blue Lip

Great post there Brad some really nice flies your tying there.Thanks for the Mo Mantis tying instructions. Any of you guys fished in Yardie Ck at all ? Besides the huge diamond scale mullet cruising in there,there are jacks as well. Caught my first jack along the rockshelf just near the carpark casting to my left upstream on a old rapala metal bibbed lure. Best tasting fish I've ever eaten I reckon that was back in '94. Pat

Last edited by 4weightfanatic; 14-05-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: slow appearance of pics
Old 14-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Blue Lip

Fished it a few times for zilch mate, I go down the bottom of the gulf for my jacks.
Old 15-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Fishing Tragic

What hooks are you using for the bonefish flies Brad??

Old 15-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Blue Lip

The mo mantis are on size 2 gama SL12S, the gotchya's are on size 4 mustad 34007 and done a few smaller gotchyas and charlies on size 6 mustad C68S SS.

If you want mate I will do a couple up for ya and swap ya for the trip- you still coming up?

Ive just found out that a couple we are close friends with are moving to new caledonia to work for a bit, we may just go over and visit them for xmas. Time to tie a few more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: