Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
I believe its the sunline PE-Egi HG...
Cheers mate. You think if ive got the option to, then i should run with K guides instead of recoils?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Cheers mate. You think if ive got the option to, then i should run with K guides instead of recoils?
Stay away from recoils! They are shocking and a waste of space on a rod! I have two GLX rods that have recoils and can't use them due to having so much trouble with line wraps.
I don't understand that a rod worth over $600 would have recoils... they have absolutely no advantages over any other guide other than the fact that they weigh less then other guides. You would think they would put kz on a $600 rod!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Blue Lip

Once you have used K-guides its impossible to buy a rod without them.
Almost completely fixes the issues with wind knots.

Alot of people are now replacing the re-coil stripper with a k-guide and this seems to be a good compromise

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Big Bream

Agree with the k guides and hopefully with Aussie models they are a consideration. That being said the concept for the edge rods appear to be a lot to do with lightness (hence Loomis' and his teams choice for recoils I guess).

Playing devils advocate here, but I find a lot of the time if I change a few things in my control I can overcome some issues on some rods which now have made them become my fav. All my rods are k or KR guides. Regarding KR's I had to change some of my leader choices or more so my knot choices to run heavier leader through micros for some apps (this was regarding a bass/Barra rod I didn't like and now love). I've now found I had no issues with hang ups when casting quickly. I have no exp with recoils tho... are the hang ups and knots created during the cast or retrieve?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeye View Post
Once you have used K-guides its impossible to buy a rod without them.
Almost completely fixes the issues with wind knots.

Alot of people are now replacing the re-coil stripper with a k-guide and this seems to be a good compromise
Agree with you mate. I just can't use a rod without K guides. Even with the stripper replaced with a K guide you still have trouble with the other recoil guides getting tangled.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt jorg View Post
Yea manno I swore by glx rods for a while and really really loved g loomis for a long time, needless to say I put up with the recoils and tangles here and there with casting as the blank was crazy good!
As time went on tho I realised some great gear coming out and was tempted to try other rods and then realised how much better k and kr guides were, and now love the ags battler too!
You've been giving the battlers some good wraps there mate. I'm getting my water zombie ttomorrow and can't wait. What do you rate them?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Mature Bream

I'm by no means a gear junkie and I have a en Edge and I haven't had an issue at all with line wrap. I'm no expert with line management either and also just use most standard braids. From what I've heard they're slightly different to your standard recoil, you don't give any of that weird vibration either.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Stay away from recoils! They are shocking and a waste of space on a rod! I have two GLX rods that have recoils and can't use them due to having so much trouble with line wraps.
I don't understand that a rod worth over $600 would have recoils... they have absolutely no advantages over any other guide other than the fact that they weigh less then other guides. You would think they would put kz on a $600 rod!!!
I have 3 glx rods with recoils and don't have any problems with line wraps so it may be your reels or line thats the problem? recoils do have advantages like bending instead of breaking under pressure and they make casting easier by loading the guides like a spring
Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
I have 3 glx rods with recoils and don't have any problems with line wraps so it may be your reels or line thats the problem? recoils do have advantages like bending instead of breaking under pressure and they make casting easier by loading the guides like a spring
Could be mate! But I think a lot of people will agree with me... compare the advantages of k guides and recoils guides, recoils just don't compare to Kz. Guides loading up with a cast aren't really an advantage when trying to cast accurately. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just hate recoils imho.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Blue Lip

I actually love recoils and never had issues with tangles UNTIL I started using the Sunline PE Egi. Never had issues with the cheaper stuff ie. fireline, fireline crystal, Stren Microfuse, power pro braid etc.. Wasn't the reel either. Airity 2506 had issues, shimano soare 1000 had issues.... I eliminated it down to the guides.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Mature Bream

@ manno - where have you seen these rods in melbourne?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Blue Lip

Hooked on bait n tackle mate. Hoppers crossing. From memory they had the 702-2, the DSR, a couple of the 6'6" two pieces and maybe something else. Shannon was really helpful and loaded em all up for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Could be mate! But I think a lot of people will agree with me... compare the advantages of k guides and recoils guides, recoils just don't compare to Kz. Guides loading up with a cast aren't really an advantage when trying to cast accurately. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just hate recoils imho.
All good mate, comes down to personal preference, I have rods with both recoils and K guides and their both great, no probs with accuracy loading up the recoils once you get used to them, there where a few casts that went 8m up the bank when I first used them.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
All good mate, comes down to personal preference, I have rods with both recoils and K guides and their both great, no probs with accuracy loading up the recoils once you get used to them, there where a few casts that went 8m up the bank when I first used them.
That used to happen to me too with recoils! the odd cast flying way too far, I just put it down to it was the odd cast that your knot passed through the guides untouched,
Matt
Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Blue Lip

Ill wait and see if these rods come in with full K guides and cork grips.

In terms of recoils i look at it this way -

• I dont think i need a guide that can bend all the way to the blank without breaking because ive never actually damaged a guide! And if i needed to use that feature then chances are that whatever impact it was would be enough to damage the blank anyway.

• Noise is simply vibration from friction so while some might "love the way they sound". All that tells me is that the line is running over a much rougher guide material and why on earth would i choose noise over less friction? The strength of the guide material has been spoken about in previous threads but i look at the damage done to fine PE and light lb flouro line being dragged under load over rough guides.

• Im not sure how these guides give you any more sensativity over a light weight TiSic guide. Vibration travelling up the line back into your hand is absorbed more by guides that can flex. These act like dampers. A rigid guide, AGS an extreme example, doesnt absorb the vibration and as such a stronger vibration is transfered back to your hand.

• If i get just one tangle because the recoils have an inherent pinch-point that could potentially catch the line then using K guides instantly eliminates that possability completely!

• Weight saving would seem like the only real benifit, improving the crispness of the action of the blank. Id like to know how the recoils compare in weight to the new tortize guides.

Anyway, slightly off topic but still relevant when talking about these edge rods.

At the end of the day id probably put up with them but if i had the choice i wouldnt use recoils.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: