Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 21-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Mature Bream

Choosing a bait rod

As the title suggests, I'm looking to get a more robust rod to chase bream, flatties and whiting on bait. Essentially I'd like to have a cheaper rod that can take a beating when taking friends fishing or chucking bait. Ideally it would have been a previous generation rack raider as I was a fan of the fibreglass-graphite combination and the softer tip action that seems to lack on the newer rack raider. 2 piece is preferred as is a softer tip. Looking in the price range of sub $200 with the finesse raider topping my list currently.

What recommendations have you guys got?
Old 21-09-2018, 08:32 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
As the title suggests, I'm looking to get a more robust rod to chase bream, flatties and whiting on bait. Essentially I'd like to have a cheaper rod that can take a beating when taking friends fishing or chucking bait. Ideally it would have been a previous generation rack raider as I was a fan of the fibreglass-graphite combination and the softer tip action that seems to lack on the newer rack raider. 2 piece is preferred as is a softer tip. Looking in the price range of sub $200 with the finesse raider topping my list currently.

What recommendations have you guys got?
When you said bait rod, I immediately thought you meant full baito style like a 100% fibreglass rod the Ugly Sticks or Silstar Power Tip.

BUt if you are after a Hybrid I'm not sure.

Old 22-09-2018, 05:38 AM
Mature Bream

A hybrid or a forgiving graphite rod is what I'd prefer. Just can't stand watching mates flog $300 bream rods like they're chucking slugs on the beach
Old 22-09-2018, 05:54 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
A hybrid or a forgiving graphite rod is what I'd prefer. Just can't stand watching mates flog $300 bream rods like they're chucking slugs on the beach

Yeah I've got a fleet of "Rods for Mates" for pinky fishing

Depending on their level of familiarity with graphite I'll trust some with 1-3kg sticks - if they are competent but still a bit reckless - they get a 2-4kg - and unknowns and high sticking lunatics get 4-8kg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400.jpg (38.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 399.jpg (56.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 17-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Fingerling

compromise rod that can be the sacrifical item in the boat

I've purchased some of the Berkley drop shot rods in the past for folk coming fishing with me. They can double as bait or lure rods. Can easily cast soft plastics and crank baits, and if they go pale at the thought of lure fishing, will double for throwing a light sinker with a nipper on a small hook. Most importantly their price is half the price of the 'lure rods' I use.
Old 18-03-2019, 05:39 AM
Mature Bream

Bait Fishing Mates = Uglystik.
Old 18-03-2019, 07:27 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah when I lend anything to a mate, I'm always mentally prepared for them to bust it.

And If I'm not prepared for them to bust it - I let them know the terms and conditions associated with this agreement

I was lending my little cousin a rod the other and day and he had 2 choices - The way I phrased it was - "If you break this one, I'll feel like killing you - but if you break this one, I will have to kill you"

Lending an expensive graphite rod to an inexperienced fisho or one not familiar with how graphite works is a recipe for disaster - and not fair on either of you.

Firstly you will have a general sense of unease as you watch him do things you would never do - and he will be incredibly surprised at how much a "little fishing rod like that" can cost

Having a Fleet of 25 year old ugly sticks in the garage is the best defence against broken graphite

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: