Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 24-10-2017, 05:59 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
I never spray water on reels. Always use a damp piece of old towel. Line roller is easy to remove and rinse use a hair dryer to get perfectly dry.. Google BOCA bearings in the USA heaps of info and advice.

Only do strip down of line roller bearing at the end of each season. Stll have baitrunners 15+ years old nil corrosion.. inox is formulated to displace water, but does not need heaps to do the job effectively.. I remove the spool to service/ wash to avoid overspray getting on the line.
As said wipe down with damp towling cloth and run the line only under clean cold water is sufficient to get salt levels down on both mono and braid lines
You and me have the same vintage bait-runners I think I've inoxed the bearings once in those 20 years and washed the salt off the same amount of times - never had a problem with them.

Its just these new finicky little 2000 to 3000 reels I have trouble with - but I spose they get used way more often and are occasionally pushed beyond their capabilities.

Its reels like the old bait runners, that give me unrealistic expectations of the abuse current day reels should be able to put up with

Last edited by yellow door 1; 24-10-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 24-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
You are not alone with the Twinpower line roller giving difficulties. I purchased 2 of the twinpower 15 when they were new and have had trouble with both their line rollers. I do not think much of the hyped Shimano waterproofing coatings so now i treat the line rollers of them both in the old fashioned way which seems to have fixed their issues.
What is your old fashion way??
Spray with Inox??
Cheers
Matthew

https://www.facebook.com/blackbreamh...homepage_panel
Old 25-10-2017, 12:36 AM
Big Bream

so some of you guys are saying, washing down after use with freshwater is useless???

i always use the mist setting on the garden trigger hose with the drag knob tightened down.

when i get a chance i will drop some oil in the LRB and bail arm and oscillation shaft using a needle nose oil dropper.
Old 25-10-2017, 12:57 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsiow View Post
What is your old fashion way??
Spray with Inox??
Cheers
Matthew
Hi Matthew
First starting with a bearing that is in fact working. I was shown how to make a 50/50 mix of waterproof reel grease and a thin synthetic oil. It ends up looking like a slurry. The mix ratio really depends on the grease and oil you use. This is applied to both sides of the bearing in liberal amounts and assembled so when you tighten the securing screw it oozes out on both sides. Clean up the excess and rotate the bearing with a bit of line a few times to free it up a little. As simple as that. I ran 2010 certates which are renowned for line roller problems for many years with no problems at all
(did them from new straight out of the box) following difficulties with the previous model Certates. Other than my mag sealed reels i do this with them all now and repeat the process at about 12 monthly intervals depending on usage.
I am a little over the hype from the big two players. Have another issue with our 15 Twinpowers that Shimano seem reluctant to know about and that is the friction washer under the rotor. No parts available and was told today just to leave it out. Trouble with that is it makes casting a very cautious event as it stops the rotor from rotating when you cast and tripping the bail return stopping your lure in mid flight. So if your Twinpowers have this wonderful friction washer be aware that it will fail in the future. As i understand they all do. A simple fix with out shimano is by streching on a rubber O ring of an approprate size for about 10c
Old 25-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Mature Bream

What happens to the friction washer (11607), it is a common part found in many models like the Stradic, Sustain and Stella. Are you saying Shimano have no stock. I have found inox will cause the washer to swell up. I never spray my reels with lubricants, just light spray with fresh water, dry with micro fibre cloth and leave to air off , out of direct sunlight.
Old 25-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
What happens to the friction washer (11607), it is a common part found in many models like the Stradic, Sustain and Stella. Are you saying Shimano have no stock. I have found inox will cause the washer to swell up. I never spray my reels with lubricants, just light spray with fresh water, dry with micro fibre cloth and leave to air off , out of direct sunlight.
Wont go on to much as to hijack this thread.
I rang Shimano service just yesterday who told me they had no stock and just leave the friction washer out which i thought a bit unusual; it was designed to be there for a reason. Not satisfied i solved the problem with an "o" ring.
My phone call to them was a request for parts perhaps they wanted to repair the reel themselves i have no idea......just left me disappointed
Old 25-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Mature Bream

That is very poor form by Shimano, leave the part out, crazy. I would get them to order them in, also should be warranty I would have thought.
Old 25-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
That is very poor form by Shimano, leave the part out, crazy. I would get them to order them in, also should be warranty I would have thought.
Well if you send in a stella the bail trip ramp and friction ring would always be removed by them without your knowledge - lost track with how many I've had to reinstall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
My phone call to them was a request for parts perhaps they wanted to repair the reel themselves i have no idea......just left me disappointed
Looks like nothing's changed since my last uneventful dealings with them...

Last edited by Slazmo; 25-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 27-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Mature Bream

About the line rollers on the new Shimanos. I've also had a bit of an issue with the Twinpower I had but the previous owner was to blame because I received it in a state where it was already noisy. I've flogged the crap out of it in a trip up FNQ and it hasn't deteriorated (in feel or tightness) so those reels are tanks.

I also have a FI Stella but this time I've owned it from brand new which I've rinsed the bail arm roller in tap water after every session or two. It's been a couple years now and it still is at 100%. It is silent and works flawlessly as one would expect from Stella.
Old 27-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Well if you send in a stella the bail trip ramp and friction ring would always be removed by them without your knowledge - lost track with how many I've had to reinstall...

Looks like nothing's changed since my last uneventful dealings with them...
Had a one of my Stella's return back from shimano recently after a service, all the screws in the bail arm and body weren't even tightened back up
Old 27-10-2017, 07:11 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Just a side note - I got a tip a while back from a guru to make removing the circlip a bit easier.

Best advice everrrrr - Just did a certate lrb replacement in under a minute.

It used to take me weeks coz I'd have to wait for a replacement circlip to be sent from Daiwa after mine flew out of the housing never to be found again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9031.jpg (239.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 9032.jpg (248.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 27-10-2017, 07:14 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

You'll still probably need Mark M's wood rig, to get the little bastard out of there in the first place - but once its bent - fingers and a bent jighead are all thats required
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9030.jpg (183.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 9029.jpg (166.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Blue Lip

That pic looks familiar :

Shimano leaving loose screws is no surprise - that FI i did where the body was all mangled inside for searching for the rear garnish cap screw and others being butchered, list goes on. Whatever the hell goes on there I'd love to be a fly on the wall...
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
That pic looks familiar :

Shimano leaving loose screws is no surprise - that FI i did where the body was all mangled inside for searching for the rear garnish cap screw and others being butchered, list goes on. Whatever the hell goes on there I'd love to be a fly on the wall...

Yeah it a good little tip that one - thanks
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 AM
Mature Bream

Inox Melts Rubber. I used it on My Yabby pump, the washers swelled, and I couldn't Pump bait. DONT USE IT IF THERE IS A RUBBER WASHER OR SEAL ANYWHERE, INCLUDING YOUR OUTBOARD MOTOR!!!!!! My outboard Mechanic told me that!! And laughed about the Yabby pump. Howard.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: