Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 14-01-2019, 10:29 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

What your least favourite - (but effective) - technique for bream

Lots of anglers have a love hate relationship with a particular technique. But they cant deny its effectiveness.

Some shy away from techniques that are too easy - others dont like monotonous retrieves - some people hate long pauses or casting to spots that dont require skill or forethought. Some refuse to cast to a fish unless they're sight casting.

I'm sure there are 100's of other little things that can take away from the thrill of fishing - but I'm wondering if there is a technique you dont particularly enjoy, that is too successful to drop from your repertoire

For me its 6 inch worms with stingers.

They tangle when you cast - reattaching the stinger after a fish is annoying - toadies love em - the tail always gets wrecked - Accurately tying the stinger out in the field is almost impossible - dealing with kinked tails that dont swim right is always an issue - and if you are using a food source worm as opposed to a plastic one - you have to worry about them drying out..........

But they do catch bream

Last edited by yellow door 1; 15-01-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 14-01-2019, 10:50 PM
Big Bream

Gulp in general, although I have really limited my use the last year or so. Used to be cranka crabs but I've started to enjoy that a bit.
Old 15-01-2019, 02:00 AM
Blue Lip

Visiting Samtass Seafood . Regards HBt.
Old 15-01-2019, 02:34 AM
Big Bream

When I was right into Breamin and the comps I really didn't like fishing deep fast flowing areas.

Iam talking bottom bouncing plastics along seaway walls or even in areas like Browns rocks on the Clarence.

Massivly effective way of fishing specially during the winter months,Caught plenty of fish doing it but didn't really like it.
A lot of the time I felt it had to be done to even be in with a chance at some of the tournaments.

Plus if I was in someones boat other then mine I would always start getting sea legs and I hate that feeling .
Old 15-01-2019, 02:36 AM
Dead Set Legend

This is my least favourite, especially considering the condition of the fish, but involves minimal travel and tackle

Bream.jpg

After that, my next least successful method has been bent minnows on surface, thrown them for ages until my arm was sore and the lure was straight for nada.
Old 15-01-2019, 04:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
Gulp in general, although I have really limited my use the last year or so. Used to be cranka crabs but I've started to enjoy that a bit.
Yeah I've got a mate who swears he's not going to use crabs again........until he eventually uses crabs again

Last edited by yellow door 1; 15-01-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 15-01-2019, 04:43 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Folley View Post
When I was right into Breamin and the comps I really didn't like fishing deep fast flowing areas.

Iam talking bottom bouncing plastics along seaway walls or even in areas like Browns rocks on the Clarence.

Massivly effective way of fishing specially during the winter months,Caught plenty of fish doing it but didn't really like it.
A lot of the time I felt it had to be done to even be in with a chance at some of the tournaments.

Plus if I was in someones boat other then mine I would always start getting sea legs and I hate that feeling .
Yeah "slow grubbing" isnt my favourite technique either - especially when its not working
Old 15-01-2019, 04:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB tragic View Post
Visiting Samtass Seafood . Regards HBt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
This is my least favourite, especially considering the condition of the fish, but involves minimal travel and tackle

Attachment 114381

After that, my next least successful method has been bent minnows on surface, thrown them for ages until my arm was sore and the lure was straight for nada.
Yeah casting a few dollars across the counter takes some of the fun out of the experience

I havent done alot of surface stuff for bream - but I did enjoy it - getting to see all the missed hits kept things interesting
Old 15-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Mature Bream

Vibes. Mostly because I don’t have the experience with them to not suck at using them! But generally speaking I prefer hardbodies and dread moving out to open and almost barren sand that is too deep for my bibbed lures. Would rather chuck a grub
Old 15-01-2019, 09:51 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
Vibes. Mostly because I don’t have the experience with them to not suck at using them! But generally speaking I prefer hardbodies and dread moving out to open and almost barren sand that is too deep for my bibbed lures. Would rather chuck a grub
Yeah I love chucking 4cm bibbed minnows into spots where accuracy gets you fish.

When fishing bridge pylons from the boat - we used to have a cast that was referred to as the "Rooster Cast" - if you cast the full length of the pylon and landed the lure with in 5cm of the edge - That was a "Rooster Cast".

The "Nick" Name was born early one morning when a mate pulled off a text book "Under Hand Flick, Rooster" and talked about it a bit too long. He was accused of banging on like a Rooster crowing.

The fact that calling someone a "Rooster" is also a derogatory slang term did not detract from the nickname.

It evolved to the point where if you nailed a "Rooster cast" you would let out a "C0ck-a-doodle-do" just in case someone missed your skills

Last edited by yellow door 1; 15-01-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:00 AM
Mature Bream

Cranka crabs, gulp worms, vibes blades and micro vibes. So effective but I just don't get the kick of catching a bream on them like I do when using bents or doubleclutches. It just seems more satisfying catching predators over grazers. Maybe I just over did it with the first lot of lures mentioned lol.
Old 16-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Blue Lip

Metal blades especially Ecogear VX models, however I don't mind fishing with vibes (Hummers, Cranka Vibes or Bassday Range vibe).

It could be my casting technique, but my blade would twist every second cast and it virtually drives me nuts.

The second least favourite is cranking with OSP Dunks. For the life of me I just cannot catch fish n them. However, again, I can catch fish on a Daiwa Spike (almost a carbon copy of Dunk).

The third least favourite is a Bent minnow. Maybe I juct cannot figure out in what conditions I should through them.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 16-01-2019, 07:35 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAMCRAFT3000 View Post
Cranka crabs, gulp worms, vibes blades and micro vibes. So effective but I just don't get the kick of catching a bream on them like I do when using bents or doubleclutches. It just seems more satisfying catching predators over grazers. Maybe I just over did it with the first lot of lures mentioned lol.
Yeah I remember in my earlier years I used to crack the sooks when the bibbed minnow, edge bight, died down in winter - but that did open up new opportunities to start exploring the fresh water where reddies and trout had no problem hitting my SX 40's in the middle of winter
Old 16-01-2019, 07:40 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Metal blades especially Ecogear VX models, however I don't mind fishing with vibes (Hummers, Cranka Vibes or Bassday Range vibe).

It could be my casting technique, but my blade would twist every second cast and it virtually drives me nuts.

The second least favourite is cranking with OSP Dunks. For the life of me I just cannot catch fish n them. However, again, I can catch fish on a Daiwa Spike (almost a carbon copy of Dunk).

The third least favourite is a Bent minnow. Maybe I juct cannot figure out in what conditions I should through them.
Yeah in the deep dark depths of Winter - when you are standing on a dock at 10pm leaving 10 second pauses in your retrieve - you begin to wonder if its all worthwhile and start looking for ways to make things more interesting.

Old 16-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Blue Lip

Microvibing poles, no casting just letting it free fall is boring as bat droppings but soo freakin effective.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: