Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 25-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Blue Lip

BKK Needle Point Fangs

Hi all,

Does anyone use these trebles and how do you rate them? I noticed they are an ABT sponsor.

Or should I stick with the known brands?

Cheers

Monster Miki Addict
Old 25-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Blue Lip

I was given some packs to test out and personally I didn't rate them highly. Used them over 2 separate sessions and suffered quite a few broken and bent trebles catching trevs and bream.

That's my personal experience with them but maybe the person I gave the left overs to had a better experience with them.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks Warren, that's the feedback I am after...

Monster Miki Addict
Old 26-02-2016, 02:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren63 View Post
I was given some packs to test out and personally I didn't rate them highly. Used them over 2 separate sessions and suffered quite a few broken and bent trebles catching trevs and bream.

That's my personal experience with them but maybe the person I gave the left overs to had a better experience with them.
Are these BKK "Needle Point Fangs" a fine wire treble? How would you compare them to the gauge of an owner st36?

The reason I ask is, I was using some BKK's while fishing for salmon. I was collecting bait. So I was trying to get as many from the school, as quickly as I could. I was being much rougher than I usually am with the trebles and was very impressed with how strong they were compared to owner st36ers.

I'm tipping I wasnt using the "needle point fangs" and I must have been using a sturdier BKK treble in size 12.
Old 26-02-2016, 02:36 AM
Blue Lip

Yes ones i used were the fine wire needle point.
Old 26-02-2016, 05:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren63 View Post
Yes ones i used were the fine wire needle point.
If I was to describe my experiences using fine wire trebles on bream - it would sound a bit like this................................

I hooked 20 small lip kisses in a row - it totally turned my day around - I was using 4lb leaders and was running a loose drag, on a reel built for squid

But when the fish I actually wanted came along - (on several different occasions) - He crushed those trebs into a preztel or straightened them with his tail.

St11's take a "Wizard" to make them work. If you dont have magical powers - I recommend 36ers.

I know a guy who uses blunt strong trebs on purpose coz he doesn't want to half-hook them in the skin around the mouth. (blunt is a relative term in this circumstance) - they're still fricken sharp - but they penetrate best once inside the mouth.

Bream are used to being bitten in the face by crabs or having mussel shards break off and stab them in the lip as they eat - thats why they hit a HB lure more than once.........(on the right day if they're hungry enough).

Last edited by yellow door 1; 26-02-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 26-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Mature Bream

I have used Bkk trebles for the past few years and have had no issues with them. In saying that, I have rolled points and broken hooks, but I have also done that on every other treble available on the Aus market and some not available.

They are very similar to the ST36 and if used in similar circumstances, there is very little between the two trebles. I would not say that one is better than the other.

BKK trebles are actually found on a lot of the high end Jap lures that we all spend way too much money buying.

CAVIET: BKK make two wire gauges of the Needle Point in the smaller trebles, I haven't purchased a pack of "Fangs" so I don't know what gauge they are, but the heavier gauge is the same as the ST36.

Last edited by Mick; 26-02-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 26-02-2016, 07:54 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I have used Bkk trebles for the past few years and have had no issues with them. In saying that, I have rolled points and broken hooks, but I have also done that on every other treble available on the Aus market and some not available.

They are very similar to the ST36 and if used in similar circumstances, there is very little between the two trebles. I would not say that one is better than the other.

BKK trebles are actually found on a lot of the high end Jap lures that we all spend way too much money buying.

CAVIET: BKK make two wire gauges of the Needle Point in the smaller trebles, I haven't purchased a pack of "Fangs" so I don't know what gauge they are, but the heavier gauge is the same as the ST36.
Fair dues - I just found the BKK's could bend without snapping. I remember the old owner 36ers could bend aswell - but the last few packs of 36ers I bought snapped way easier than they used to. Its like they became more brittle.

But my experiences are based on 7 packs of 36ers bought at the same time from the same place - they had legit packaging -came from a legit place - but didnt perform like the other ones I'd used in years gone by.
Old 28-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Blue Lip

There are Two Types OF BKK ( BLACK KING KONG ) Trebles Needle Point & Cutting Point.

Needle Point is slightly thicker & heavier than cutting point and has a Needle Point as the name implies.

Cutting Point BKKs are the Gem on the BKK Trebles ,

They are the sharpest stickiest Treble Ive ever used.

But the wire is thin which makes them super penetrating sharp and the point has a cutting groove in it, making it even sharper. They will break at times if your rough removing them from fish. esp size #14 but as you go to #12 #10 #8 size they just get better and better.

For pinning fish I haven't used better.

Yes you are Correct a lot of High End Japanese Lures and Anglers use these BKK Cutting Point Hooks.

They are a Great Hook, But be Rough with them they will break, Remove carefully from Fish with a bit of thought they are perfect.

There Designed to Pin the Fish and Penetrate Fast & Deep Enough to Hold On.

So theres a Compromise

Cheers Nordy

Hurricane Lures Australia

Website www.hurricanelures.com.au

Check Out Our Facebook page
Hurricane Lures Australia

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hur...79922355413407

Last edited by NORDY; 28-02-2016 at 05:21 AM.