Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 13-01-2019, 08:31 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Which shirts keep you cooler

If the only consideration in buying one of these shirts was - which one keeps you cooler in direct sun.

Which would you say wins
the Plain Cotton
or the New style, Poly Microfibre, fishing shirt

I havent worn either - but the new shirts make some pretty good claims - just wondering if they live up to their own advertising

Heres an example of claims from Shimano

"Sublimation Shirts

Shimano sublimated shirts are 100% Poly Microfibre with UPF50+. The fabric is moisture wicking and contains an antimicrobial treatment and is available in small to XXXL in a number of great styles and colours".

(I'll stick up some pics later)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-01-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:36 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Heres an interesting - if not biased - article about fishing shirts from a bloke who sells them

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...guide/#content

"........................... cotton doesn’t wick away moisture like these polyester shirts, and cotton will usually not keep you as cool as these polyester performance shirts after numerous hours out in the hot sun.

The Consensus: Synthetic Polyester Wins Over Cotton Every Time When It Comes To A Fishing Shirt.........................."

Also according to the article - Hooded sunshirts are the future
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91.jpg (228.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 14-01-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:48 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

He mentioned the first generations of these new poly blend shirts used to accentuate body odour - is that still the case?
Old 15-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Mature Bream

I’ve had the shimano explorer style long sleeve vented shirts (100% polyester), a tournament style sublimated long sleeve and a cheap big w long sleeve and I personally believe the classic vented style shimano shirt to be the coolest of the three. I’m not sure about the smell accentuation but those tournament shirts do one hell of a job soaking up sweat but a terrible job at drying while worn relative to the vented. If you want to stay cool, go the vented
Old 15-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Mature Bream

Another vote for the vented type of shirt. I have a couple of Columbia vented shirts i picked up on a special in 2012 while on a North Queensland trip and still use them today. Have tried the the newer styled "fishing shirts" but not as good as the old vented ones.
Old 15-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Blue Lip

I have found even within the two styles that the "quality" of the fabric greatly affects how cool they are.

Columbia do a very thin shirt it may be the one in their PFG range which is great.

I have found the BigFish Shirts good, wife loves hers

https://www.bigfishgear.com/product-category/shirts/

Recenly purchased one of the Pelagic shirts that are super cool.

https://www.pelagicgear.com/shop/men...k-ambush/blue/
Old 15-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Big Bream

Unfortunately haven't been up to the NT fishing for a few years now but last time that I did go to Shady Camp, every single guide had moved away from the Columbia style vented shirts to the tournament style shirts and every single one of them I asked why said it was because the tournament shirts were cooler.

I've personally never worn them but those blokes are in the sun for 10 hours per day every day whilst guiding so there must be something in it for all of them to change over.
Old 15-01-2019, 07:08 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWorm View Post
I have found even within the two styles that the "quality" of the fabric greatly affects how cool they are.

Columbia do a very thin shirt it may be the one in their PFG range which is great.

I have found the BigFish Shirts good, wife loves hers

https://www.bigfishgear.com/product-category/shirts/

Recenly purchased one of the Pelagic shirts that are super cool.

https://www.pelagicgear.com/shop/men...k-ambush/blue/
Thanks for the links and thats a good point you make search for the right polyester shirt.

Some of the ones I've rubbed between my fingers at 1Anaconda feel like the material is too thick to compete with cotton on the coolness scale.

I know colour is important and a black shirt will absorb more heat than a white one - But In your experience, when you stack the coolest cotton shirt against the coolest polyester shirt - which one is cooler in direct sunlight..
Old 15-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Thanks for the links and thats a good point you make search for the right polyester shirt.

Some of the ones I've rubbed between my fingers at 1Anaconda feel like the material is too thick to compete with cotton on the coolness scale.

I know colour is important and a black shirt will absorb more heat than a white one - But In your experience, when you stack the coolest cotton shirt against the coolest polyester shirt - which one is cooler in direct sunlight..
Polyester would be the coolest, the one from Pelagic would be the coolest of those style that I have. They are at B C F give them the feel test you will see what I mean.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:29 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWorm View Post
Polyester would be the coolest, the one from Pelagic would be the coolest of those style that I have. They are at B C F give them the feel test you will see what I mean.
Ok cool - I've currently got a B C F voucher burning a hole in my back pocket - I might have to see what these Polys are all about - thanks
Old 16-01-2019, 03:42 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Just to confirm - were you referring to the vapor tek or the eclipse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 795.jpg (106.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 794.jpg (88.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 16-01-2019, 04:11 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Was just sniffing around a sewing forum because its very difficult to find independant reviews on Polyester if you search for fishing shirts - Here's something I found about those moisture wicking claims

"....................Nonbreathing: Polyester doesn’t let your skin breathe like cotton. For instance, if you wear a polyester shirt in the summer, you might find yourself pretty sweaty. That being said, there are many performance wear polyester products specifically engineered to wick sweat away from your body, but it really only works if the fabric is skin tight. If you buy a low-quality product, you’ll notice a weird after smell...."

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bl...ter-pros-cons/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 792.jpg (62.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 16-01-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old 16-01-2019, 04:12 AM
Mature Bream

patagonia tech shirts are less sticky and cooler than my Shimano vented shirt.
Old 16-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Was just sniffing around a sewing forum because its very difficult to find independant reviews on Polyester if you search for fishing shirts - Here's something I found about those moisture wicking claims

"....................Nonbreathing: Polyester doesn’t let your skin breathe like cotton. For instance, if you wear a polyester shirt in the summer, you might find yourself pretty sweaty. That being said, there are many performance wear polyester products specifically engineered to wick sweat away from your body, but it really only works if the fabric is skin tight. If you buy a low-quality product, you’ll notice a weird after smell...."
This is 100% correct. I've been wearing 100% polyester undershirts for the last 4 years as work uniform and they indeed need to be skin tight or close to it to keep you cool, and even then they still get super sweaty being that they don't breathe. And yep, they hold a weird smell after a while of use that doesn't wash out.

It's like sitting shirtless against a leather couch in a hot qld summer! These aren't top of the line shirts by any means though
Old 16-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Blue Lip

The vapor tek is the one I have and it is great. It is on the tighter fit side though.

My son got one of the eclipse ones which are a more generous cut but a slightly heavier fabric.

Quote:
Just to confirm - were you referring to the vapor tek or the eclipse

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: