Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 18-01-2019, 06:44 AM
Mature Bream

What's the go with black lures?

I've never used nor considered a black lure for chucking at bream yet fishin com au have been getting high-UV black colours in multiple popular crank types over the last few months.

My guess is they are used around solid, dark structure or in the dirtiest water possible. Is this guess correct? And when and where do you guys use black coloured lures?
Old 18-01-2019, 06:10 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
I've never used nor considered a black lure for chucking at bream yet fishin com au have been getting high-UV black colours in multiple popular crank types over the last few months.

My guess is they are used around solid, dark structure or in the dirtiest water possible. Is this guess correct? And when and where do you guys use black coloured lures?
In Melbourne bream have 3 main delicacies - Black crabs, Mussel and Gobies - all these creatures are can be varying shades of black and brown. But I spose the Goby would be the of most interest to a crank user - they are everywhere from the depths to the shallow rock banks and they're there in large numbers

But I've suspended black blades in 40ft of water at 10pm at night with a tiny spasm then 10 second pause and bream dont have alot of trouble finding them - if they havent hit it within 6 seconds they probably wont so you raise the lure a couple of meters and repeat.

So if bream can find a black lure under those those conditions - they'll find them pretty much anywhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 790.jpg (193.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 20-01-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 19-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Mature Bream

Basically a black or dark coloured lure gives a more distinct silhouette, particularly when using shallow or deep hards,
and if they got uv as well then its even better. It doesn't matter what condition the water is in (clear or murky) the silhouette will still stand out.
Old 19-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
In Melbourne bream have 3 main delicacies - Black crabs, Mussel and Gobies - all these creatures are varying shades of black.
Would it be fair to say that most black patterns have been targeted towards the black bream fishos of the southern states?
Old 19-01-2019, 11:57 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
Would it be fair to say that most black patterns have been targeted towards the black bream fishos of the southern states?
Yeah I couldn't really say
Old 20-01-2019, 06:55 AM
Blue Lip

Note black lures are really big in the NSW bream comps in certain locations. Comps like Lake Mac, Forster and around those areas I know in the kayak comps that's all some guys throw. Must relate to certain types of bait the bream are feeding on. Used them in Qld with success but not my go to colour.
When I primarily bass fished I only had 2 lure colours which was black and fluoro green. Certainly worked well.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Mature Bream

never caught a bream on black
one of my go to bass clours
Old 22-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Poddy Bream

Black Lures

Gday Everyone

This is taken from a previous Favourite lure post

Sounds weird but my Go to is this black Cranka Shad (i think its a shad) Its caught everything from a 91 CM flathead and (heaps of smaller ones 50 to 70 etc) Its also caught lots of Bream , I have tried "other Black" variations but this one just seems to do the trick , as you can see it has hardly any paint left on it and has been absolutely mauled , i have replaced the trebles heaps , but still works like a champion !!

20171229_213422_resized.jpg
Old 22-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Blue Lip

Perhaps its the 'I'm watching you' look from that great eye that creates the desired fish response 😉. I have to say my most productive big bream lures have been black/ very dark with a flash of red/orange and red eyes. Regards HBt.
Old 23-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Mature Bream

Great around mussel racks.