Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 AM
Big Bream

New 2500

Hi everyone

Going to be getting myself a new 2500 combo in time for summer. At the moment, looking at either a 14 Morethan 2510R-PE or a Certate 16 2508. Will be matched to a L or ML rod around 6'7-7ft. Also considering an Emeraldas Air. Leaning towards the Morethan, however I'm not sure if its really worth the extra couple of hundred over a new Tate. Its also a bit heavier than the certate, not a huge worry but it might be too heavy for most of my target species (large EPs and trout, mulloway). So I'm wondering if anyones used both the more than and the certate, and knows if the more than is actually worth the upgrade. Also wondering if the morethan 2510r-pe would be considered too heavy for Larger trout and estuary perch (at 260g).

I know I'd be best to actually hold them myself- tried the certate and really liked it, but haven't had a chance to try the Morethan.

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Old 04-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Poddy Bream

I prefer smaller reels, for up to 8' rods. As You are referring to trout, I'm using 2004 reels (Luvias), for brown trout fishing, with 7,6-8' rods and find that combo nice and light.
What kind of lures/bait are You using?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemic View Post
I prefer smaller reels, for up to 8' rods. As You are referring to trout, I'm using 2004 reels (Luvias), for brown trout fishing, with 7,6-8' rods and find that combo nice and light.
What kind of lures/bait are You using?
Thanks mate. Ive already got a few lighter (certate hi gear and aegis) in 2004 for general trout. The trout I'll be targeting with this are big river brown trout- during the spring time floods, when the trout get up to 8lb on occasions, and need heavy tackle to be stopped. Running lures like the Daiwa TD95, Nories Laydown 88 etc.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Mature Bream

I lucky enough to own a Emeraldas Air, it a sweet reel, light and the strong...the drag is smooth like silk. I got 2kg + squid and cant fault the reel. it so good that now everyone that was in the boat that day all went out and get one...love my emeraldas air.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Big Bream

Don't discount the new TDsol3 which will be out around next month.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:52 AM
Blue Lip

All trout, bream, EP's and most mulloway will be stopped on a 2000 sized reel ... I have a 2500 tate and find it far too heavy and an over kill on the species you mention.
I use a 1000 stradic with 8lb braid and catch plenty of EP over 50cm and mulloway around the 10lb mark are no problem, the light reel makes it heaps easier to find a rod to suit.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Poddy Bream

On a bit of a side note: Have You guys there down under checked the reels drag values on different applications (if we are talking around Daiwa 2000-3000 sizes)? If You are using a light tackle for example trout up to 4-5lb, how much pulling force (lb or kg) it takes to move the spool if pulled the line directly from spool (without rod) with scale?

Here in Estonia often guys are recommending 7kg "max drag" reels over 3kg (f.e. 2508 vs 2506 Daiwas). I honestly haven't seen anybody using drag tension more than ~1,5kg (~3,3lb). Even when fishing salmon from rivers (20+lb !!!).
My Luvias 2004 drag is set to about ~400g (~0,9lb) when brown trout fishing.
So in my opinion 3kg "max drag" model is better than 7kg, because the range is more usable (in theory the drag knob "klick"/rotation count is the same with these models, but one "klick" on 7kg drag changes the tension much more).

Thanks in advance and sorry for typos (not my native language).
Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Mature Bream

You just have to justify the extra dollars for the Morethan as both reels are based off the same platform, the Morethan has the exist style handle 2 extra bearings and carbon fibre insert in spool rim.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: