Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 23-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Mature Bream

Reel to match Pfluger Patriarch XTR 1-3kg

G'day guys, snapped up the Patriarch XTR 6'10 1-3kg on special as as my new HB / surface rod. Looking for a reel to match. probably somewhere in that daiwa 2000 size shimano 2500 size range, ideas so far were certate 2004, stradic ci4+ etc. Looking for balance but also the lower gear ratio for working the hbs. So Sustain etc is out.
Anyone input appreciated cheers
Witha
Old 24-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Mature Bream

Bump. Any ideas lads?
Old 24-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Mature Bream

Maybe a Rarenium Ci4 fb or older model. 5.1 gear ratio. I find a higher ratio doesn't bother me on my Stradics and Sustain as I just wind a little slower with regular pauses .The Patriarch is a nice rod and will suit HB fishing well . All the best.

Shimano Sustain FG 1000 on 13 ENVY Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000 on 13 OMEN Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic FJ 1000 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.0
Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.10
Old 24-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Big Bream

What about a Daiwa Luvias in 2004 size? They're a great reel for the money, especially if you buy from oseas.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbin157 View Post
Maybe a Rarenium Ci4 fb or older model. 5.1 gear ratio. I find a higher ratio doesn't bother me on my Stradics and Sustain as I just wind a little slower with regular pauses .The Patriarch is a nice rod and will suit HB fishing well . All the best.
Thanks for the input mate i'll try one on the rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
What about a Daiwa Luvias in 2004 size? They're a great reel for the money, especially if you buy from oseas.
This one has quickly climbed to the top of my list i think. Digi or Plat any other options? I'll chuck one on the rod and see how she balances. Thanks mate
Old 24-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Poddy Bream

I have the same rod matched to a Freams 2000.
Balances up really well and has a 4:8 ratio.
Quite a light combo for the price and I'm happy to cast all day with it.
Old 25-11-2014, 04:38 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witha View Post
Thanks for the input mate i'll try one on the rod

This one has quickly climbed to the top of my list i think. Digi or Plat any other options? I'll chuck one on the rod and see how she balances. Thanks mate
Sorry if I sound like the Grinch, but... you're talking about buying on-line from o/s and also talking about seeing how these reels feel on the rod. I'm not in retail but I reckon it'd be a tough gig nowadays, particularly with the competition that exists from on-line retailers. The one thing that sets them apart is the fact that they can provide superior customer service, you can go into your local tackle shop, talk c rap with the guy in the store, wiggle the rods etc. Doing that and then buying on-line is just not right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of on-line purchasing, but I will never use an Aussie retailer for the purpose of making a selection and then buy on-line. For a reel, what sort of saving are you talking about? Develop a relationship with the guy in your local tackle shop (I'm talking genuine locally owned stores, not the BeeCeeFs of the world) and you won't need to be asking these questions on a forum (and I mean no disrespect cause the forum is great!)

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to make a little statement of support for the little guys out there with passion and mortgages.
Old 25-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
Sorry if I sound like the Grinch, but... you're talking about buying on-line from o/s and also talking about seeing how these reels feel on the rod. I'm not in retail but I reckon it'd be a tough gig nowadays, particularly with the competition that exists from on-line retailers. The one thing that sets them apart is the fact that they can provide superior customer service, you can go into your local tackle shop, talk c rap with the guy in the store, wiggle the rods etc. Doing that and then buying on-line is just not right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of on-line purchasing, but I will never use an Aussie retailer for the purpose of making a selection and then buy on-line. For a reel, what sort of saving are you talking about? Develop a relationship with the guy in your local tackle shop (I'm talking genuine locally owned stores, not the BeeCeeFs of the world) and you won't need to be asking these questions on a forum (and I mean no disrespect cause the forum is great!)

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to make a little statement of support for the little guys out there with passion and mortgages.
Mate I get where you're coming from and I do have a great relationship with my local, non chain family run business. When I bought my last combo I got my certate from him and came back for the black label to go with it a week later rather than importing. We have a great chat and instead of buying my lures and kit online I get it from him to keep the little guy going. Having said that the only reel I would think of importing is the jdm luvias, again another reel he recommended but even he admitted that's the one reel where importing makes more sense because of the gap. The luvias jdm to local gap is a hundred bucks, which for me is a lot. It sits up near the certate which is why I went certate last time and bought local as the jdm price for Tates isn't different enough to justify not giving the local my business.

All in all I see where you're coming from, but I'm not a use and abuse window shopper
Old 25-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witha View Post
The luvias jdm to local gap is a hundred bucks
My local has the Luvi at $500 making the gap a bit bigger than a hundred bucks even if he gives me a little discount...
Old 25-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Big Bream

I say you match it up with a Pflueger Patriarch 9530, after all they were designed to match the rods! Awesome lightweight combo, I run 3 or 4 of these and love them.

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 25-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Mature Bream

I'd go for the Luvias. Great reels; smooth, light, magsealed.
Old 25-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmaa View Post
My local has the Luvi at $500 making the gap a bit bigger than a hundred bucks even if he gives me a little discount...
Wow yeah that's a big gap man considering they're 260/70.
Old 25-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthedrop86 View Post
I say you match it up with a Pflueger Patriarch 9530, after all they were designed to match the rods! Awesome lightweight combo, I run 3 or 4 of these and love them.
Same as above!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Poddy Bream

Anything in the Shimano 1000 size stable. I have the same rod matched to a FJ Stradic and it goes extremely well.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Mature Bream

Mate how much do you want to spend?? Helps to narrow it down a bit, theres a hell of a lot of reels out there to choose from.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: