Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Lets Not Forget Video Either

Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Mature Bream

What style of video do you want?

Hey guys. I'm looking into taking some time off next year to do some filming. Just doing some research to see what sort of stuff most people want. I have a real pet hate for 90% of the fishing shows/DVDs on the market and enjoy much more the fly fishing style of film making. Similar to what Phil is so good at!

I basically want my videos to have minimal dialect. But rather have a narration of sorts over the top. Similar to what you see in a lot of fly fishing films.

So what do you think? What do you want to see style wise?

If you have any ideas for Australian based shoots id be happy to hear as well.

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Big Bream

anything to do with light tackle sportfishing, most of the conversation is so scripted it makes it really annoying. any convo/voiceovers have to be as natural as possible. if that makes sense. ya need it to feel like your on the boat with a mate rather than listening to some tool dribbling rubbish. also, please no brand whoring. when ya talk about the tackle used just say hey this is what we choose to use. or at the very least be subtle
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Big Bream

oh and anything with kayaks involved hahahaha
Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Blue Lip

the only reason most fishing dvds are so scripted is because they are informative and targeted at the novice side of things. while most fly fishing dvds are targeted at passionate fly fishing enthusiests who just like to enjoy the aesthetic quailtys of it.

if i was to make a dvd it would be set for the lure passionate person featuring isolated destinations with a history and fish there with a brief history of the area arial shots and classic and accoustic music i would fish arrnhem land, the mclay river, a lake in tas, snowy river. then a few rivers like the glenelg, hawksbury and a few others spending 15 minutes in the dvd for each location i would show them my gear and each lure and let them pick up the retrieve

and just be myself and not a robot. little talking for each change of location it would be a slow moving shot capturing the natural noises of that location and the visual qualitys of it. i would want alot of money to produce it as i would need quality hd cameras, and strictly me and my best friend no guides just practice in each area.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Blue Lip

I have a troutbum dvd which is fantastic. For me the thing I like is they shared the journey and almost spent as much time on that as the fishing. There is a romance about that I think. Fishos can relate to that like no other people. The thought of going on a road trip with nothing more than basic provisions and your favorite gear really gets fishos going. The reality is though that a lot of us never do that so to see a DVD of someone living our dream is fantastic. It needs to be informative but perhaps only prompting people enough that the info is there for them but if they really want to know it they know what to go looking for on the net.

You planning on doing this for fun or are you hoping it will pay for itself?

GL
Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Boyle View Post
I have a troutbum dvd which is fantastic. For me the thing I like is they shared the journey and almost spent as much time on that as the fishing. There is a romance about that I think. Fishos can relate to that like no other people. The thought of going on a road trip with nothing more than basic provisions and your favorite gear really gets fishos going. The reality is though that a lot of us never do that so to see a DVD of someone living our dream is fantastic. It needs to be informative but perhaps only prompting people enough that the info is there for them but if they really want to know it they know what to go looking for on the net.

You planning on doing this for fun or are you hoping it will pay for itself?

GL
Put it this way i dont mind forking out for the camera. As that can always be used for my whole life. At this stage im thinking of getting the new Panasonic AG-AC160 when its released later this year.

I dont want to loose money on the filming side of things. but im not fussed on making any either. It would just be a good way to spend 6 months.

Im lucky in that music is already covered which is one of the more costly parts. Between myself and friends we should be able to work out a soundtrack.

A tassie bream road trip is first on the list.

Cheers
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
A tassie bream road trip is first on the list.
Yes Please.

Love to see some of these horses from Tas and the lovely country you get to catch them in.

P.S. Need someone to carry your tackle box

Last edited by BloodWorm; 06-07-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Blue Lip

That camera should do well. If you are sticking with panasonic a hacked GH known as the GH13 with some good lenses could be a really good addition. Will let you get some excellent quality stills and some really good artistic video to throw into the mix.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Mature Bream

Like everyone else has said, keep it natural, keep it simple. Some of the most entertaining fishing shows I've seen the guys do something crazy like chasing snapper on 1000 reels and 1-3kg tackle. Also go somewhere different, theres a million dvds about snapper in port phillip bay or bream at mallacoota and they do get boring after a while
Bream are like girls... I put to much effort into chasing them
www.vyak.net- Sheepy
Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Boyle View Post
That camera should do well. If you are sticking with panasonic a hacked GH known as the GH13 with some good lenses could be a really good addition. Will let you get some excellent quality stills and some really good artistic video to throw into the mix.
I've got my Canon DSLR to use as well as my mates who is doing the filming with me. Plus GoPro's
Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Blue Lip

I like the "2 Dan's" DVD style, fun to watch. But hell yeah light tackle lure fishing would interest me...
I kinda enjoy "The Fishing DVD" magazine DVDs too. Except for the adds.
Cheers stealth
Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

A fishing video is a fishing video really, I just like relaxing and watching something I can relate to. But, what I would like in a DVD is to show off some techniques, show them how to catch the bream. When I was bit less of a newbie I watched thousands of DVDs and videos and they showed you the lure they were catching bream on, where they were catching bream but they didnt tell you how.. Just have fun with it mate I'm sure you and your mates will have a ball!

Todd
Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Big Bream

Another coral sea trip (obviously way out of budget lol) with out constant music and heaps of hookups on film. 2 things I hate about some DVD's/fishing shows, lack of hookups on film and music drowning out the sound of fish pulling line ect...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Blue Lip

Do a surface DVD

whiting ,flathead, bream

Oyster rack techniques , with critter plastics etc.

Action packed big takes...
Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckle View Post
Another coral sea trip (obviously way out of budget lol) with out constant music and heaps of hookups on film. 2 things I hate about some DVD's/fishing shows, lack of hookups on film and music drowning out the sound of fish pulling line ect...
Watch this space
my mate is editing some footage of his works trip to Christmas Island GT Popping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: