Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Big Bream

iv seen that video when i do it i carnt get it not to slip, the knot all looks good but the braid at the start of the knot keeps slipping
Old 27-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcridland View Post
iv seen that video when i do it i carnt get it not to slip, the knot all looks good but the braid at the start of the knot keeps slipping
It's supposed to slip, you r doing it correctly but you've missed a step. I'll explain.
The FG is like a Chinese finger torture device, the more you pull the more it will grip.

step 1: So do your 6 overlaps, then tighten it up (if you do 10, it gets lumpy and messy looking not smooth)
step 2: bite onto the fluro and with your hand grab onto both the main line and tag end of the braid. Now PULL. Pull the knot back and forward and keep going til it stops slipping. Usually about 4-6 times is enough for it to bite into the fluro.
step3: continue with your 6 overlaps and pull to tighten.. continue this for as long as you want.
step4: half hitches.. the end.

hope thats helps u understand it better and why the FG works
Old 27-05-2013, 04:15 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It's supposed to slip, you r doing it correctly but you've missed a step. I'll explain.
The FG is like a Chinese finger torture device, the more you pull the more it will grip.

step 1: So do your 6 overlaps, then tighten it up (if you do 10, it gets lumpy and messy looking not smooth)
step 2: bite onto the fluro and with your hand grab onto both the main line and tag end of the braid. Now PULL. Pull the knot back and forward and keep going til it stops slipping. Usually about 4-6 times is enough for it to bite into the fluro.
step3: continue with your 6 overlaps and pull to tighten.. continue this for as long as you want.

I've just finished watching the video Apache and it looks a lot clearer than a few others I've watched. I'll give it ago tonight.
Old 27-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Big Bream

Saw this on facey last week, far and away the easiest way to tie an Fg knot for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=52uWL43hUbw
Old 27-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Mature Bream

Good alternative method but there is much more braid wastage compared to the video I showed. I waste only 3-5cm of braid on the tag end.
Old 27-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

ahh thanks mate i wasnt pulling the knot backwards n forward until it bit ill give it a go n see how i go cheers
Old 27-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Mature Bream

I tried learning the FG according to that video of that rodmaker guy. I can tie it just the way he does it but I was wondering how may wraps I need for 6lb to stop slipping. I tried 30 wraps but yet to put it to the water in the bucket test.
Old 27-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Mature Bream

It doesn't slip if you set it correctly in step 2. How many wraps is up to you. I do 16-30 wraps.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Banned

I m practising this knot for a trip to stanage bay soon going to be interesting if it's choppy up there
Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Mature Bream

Hi all,

I too wanna give the FG knot a go...still cant get the trigger/gripping finger to works (explain why I cant touch type). Anyone used the ez knotter tool yet? is it worth spending $100+ for a knot tool???
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Mature Bream

I been trying to ties fg knot...with a previous work injuries that cut 3 tendons, I have trouble educating my fingers.

Found this tool online
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/p...ssist-2-0.html

I can now tied the fg knot like a pro...the best $80 dollars ever spent.
Old 19-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Mature Bream

Necropost alert.

I bought one of those tools recently. (about $60 posted)
Have only done practise knots so far using some 6lb fireline and various leaders.
In leaders 6lb and up it's quite easy.
Can tie with 4lb leader, but takes several tries.
Can't get it to work with 2lb leader. Leader keeps breaking while I'm doing the first few wraps.

Will keep trying though, as have tested it against the albright and the slim beauty in 4, 6 and 8lb leader and the other knot breaks first every time. I figure the lighter the line the more important a strong knot is.
Old 19-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Blue Lip

Gard I think that you will find that with 2lb fluoro, this tool puts too much pressure onto the line when it is tied how the tutorial goes. The only time it would not have too much pressure would be if its looser, but this would then pose the problem of a weak FG.

I personally don't see the need for an FG on 2lb, a slim beauty, Albright or even the yucatan knot that was mentioned earlier would suffice as the breaking strain of the line is so low that the knots would easily handle it. Also these knots wouldn't have dramas even with micros.

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 19-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Mature Bream

You might be right Kyle.
Will try those knots and see how close to 2lb they break.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Blue Lip

http://youtu.be/iHngKoD8zgU

You can apply this exact same method all the way down to 2lb..

The diameter / stiffness of your leader material wont matter when you tie FG like this.

The higher the line class you go , then less you'll need to worry about tieing FG in this way , and instead go back to the tradition triangle on the fingers method

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: