Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Poddy Bream

New reels... Aegis or Sol II for 2 Gen Blacks?

Looking for a little feedback guys.

Recently purchased a Drunknmonkey and Itchy Twitchy for casting lures and want a couple of better reels to suit that won't break the budget. Put a Sol 2004 on the Itchy when in store and it seemed to balance well but seemed a touch unbalanced on the Drunknmonkey. I was shown the Aegis which is lighter but I'm not a huge fan of the handle.

Do many of you use either of these reels and can i get a different handle for the Aegis?

Also for those of you that own these rods, what reels are you using? the budget won't stretch to a Luvius unfortunately.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
Looking for a little feedback guys.

Recently purchased a Drunknmonkey and Itchy Twitchy for casting lures and want a couple of better reels to suit that won't break the budget. Put a Sol 2004 on the Itchy when in store and it seemed to balance well but seemed a touch unbalanced on the Drunknmonkey. I was shown the Aegis which is lighter but I'm not a huge fan of the handle.

Do many of you use either of these reels and can i get a different handle for the Aegis?

Also for those of you that own these rods, what reels are you using? the budget won't stretch to a Luvius unfortunately.

Cheers, Dave.
what price were quoted on the sol and aegis ?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
what price were quoted on the sol and aegis ?
Was told they would match Mo but next time I went in the prices had gone up a few bucks and were firm
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Was told they would match Mo but next time I went in the prices had gone up a few bucks and were firm
mate if your spending that kind of money id say grab a luvias for 260 from digitaka but they are sold out soo grab yourself a gekka for 309 far superior reel to the sol and aegis.

http://digitaka.com/item.php?icid=16&id=1428

I can gurrantee you it will arrive before a mo and their snail mail aswell.

Digitaka are as reputable and reliable as any australian outlets probably better really.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Poddy Bream

I run a Caldia 2004 on my itchy. Seems to balance fine for me. And that reel certainly seems quite good for their price but I only paid $120 for the rod so don't see much point putting an expensive reel on it.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Big Bream

Or buy a caldia for 220 and buy an rcs eva knob if you dont like the zaion knobs.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Poddy Bream

Hmmmmm looking at those prices, I could get a Certate for the price I was quoted for a Sol locally.

Probably a silly question but why doesn't the Sol come up in that list, are they specific to the Oz market?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Hmmmmm looking at those prices, I could get a Certate for the price I was quoted for a Sol locally.

Probably a silly question but why doesn't the Sol come up in that list, are they specific to the Oz market?
yeah mate aus only.

There is no reason to buy domestically for reels in australia digitaka serves warrantys and are quicker then daiwa australia. let us know what you decide on.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Big Bream

just my 2c worth
I have 3 generation black rods, including the itchy, drunken monkey and not forgetting the weasel
all have luvias reels on them. if you can find a 2004 luvias anywhere online for $250-300 posted, buy it, you wont regeret it.

if you can afford the certates online, then go there.
I also have a older model freams which are also decent reels and lighter than the sol2
the older models caldia (2011, silver colour) are also a great reel.

failing that, the next port of call would be a sol2
they are tough reels but a bit heavier

as for the knob, yes you can change the knob, or even the handle, but it will cost you a bit if changing the handle, the knobs are about $30 or so and upwards
Old 02-07-2015, 04:05 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks guys for the info.

Normally try and shop locally to support small business but with the amount of lures, rods and terminal tackle I buy, I guess I'm already doing that. If I can get a better reel for a lesser price from Digitaka then that leaves a bit more for line etc.

Seriously thinking of running fluoro straight through on the monkey so unsure if one reel suits this more than another. I had not given the Caldia much of a look but will try and check all reels again to see how they feel.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Blue Lip

i got an aegis and i find it to be a beautiful reel to use. just gonna change the crap knob.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Poddy Bream

Well after spending some time playing with reels at one of the local shops, I was offered 2 Sol II for under $300 each. I kept going back to the Sol as they seemed to balance the outfits well. I can also see a Wild Weasel with the 2506 Sol rounding out the set.

The Itchy Twitchy has now been set up with 6lb Super PE 8 and 4lb FC Rock Bream Special.

The Drunknmonkey has been set up with 5lb Sunline Shooter straight through for flats and light lures. I will probably drop this to 3lb in the future.

Took the kayak out this arvo to see how they performed and I was genuinely surprised how smooth and accurate the both rods were compared to my older outfits. I was amazed how far the Itchy could cast the Doubleclutch, sending it long and into the timber more than a few times.
In the end I managed to blood both new outfits with a mixed bag including bream, perch, trevally and of all things an octopus.

36cm fl bream on the Drunknmonkey.

Thanks for all the help and feedback that is what makes this site great.

Cheers.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Blue Lip

Nice setups.

However, to complete them suggest you invest in Fuji EZ Keeper hook keepers.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 05-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nice setups.

However, to complete them suggest you invest in Fuji EZ Keeper hook keepers.
Now they look like a good idea, will definitely source a few. Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: