Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 18-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Poddy Bream

Yep definitely no dramas with andrews work he seems like a very thorough and knowledgeable bloke and the service price was more than fair it was probably too cheap actually if I'm honest. He tested it before sending it back and the noise wasn't there, for some reason there's a noise there now so it's no dramas I'll send it back up to you and hopefully you can work some more magic on it.
Old 18-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto31 View Post
Yep definitely no dramas with andrews work he seems like a very thorough and knowledgeable bloke and the service price was more than fair it was probably too cheap actually if I'm honest. He tested it before sending it back and the noise wasn't there, for some reason there's a noise there now so it's no dramas I'll send it back up to you and hopefully you can work some more magic on it.
Not a problem at all & thanks for the words! I will take it for a pre fish prior to the service to experience this noise and try to localise it. Will do a full strip down and start afresh and repost the pics if there is anything different from when it started? See what i can find this time?

Best.

Andrew
Old 18-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Fingerling

These old Certates, once you go salt they're never the same again. They become noisy under load and LBR constantly fails every season due to a bad design. Service it and flog it off I say. Good luck!
Old 22-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Blue Lip

I received the reel this afternoon and noticed a few things above all else the smoothness that it retains.

Basically this is what I wrote to Matt - just to reiterate what deductions I made of the reel in my hands and how I went about finding the noise.

For one if that noise was attributed to the rotor bearing it would be there 100% of the time regardless of forward or backward spinning of the reel; a kind of metallic "SHHHHHHHHHH" noise. You could make it go away with winding slowly and then fast again to promote it. There would also be a evident feel with the bearing grinding away (via the balls revolving over a irregular race or the balls themselves not being smooth etc) through the gearbox and into the handle - the gearbox of this reel is smooth and regardless of winding slow or fast there is no rotor nose from the reel and the rotor bearing - even when twisting the rotor with the hand and putting load on the pinion bearing and or load side to side - smooth.

When I ran the line through the roller and through my XTR rod and had the other half peel line off the spool. The LRB is quiet on the peel (drag pull) however a soft feel noise is evident somewhat; however when winding line with tension it howls badly more like a "RRRRRRRRRRRRRR" noise than a grind as mentioned prior. The noise is most definably from the LRB - as when you put tension on the line its there and when tension removed its not. When running line through your fingers you can accelerate the noise and near remove it with the softest tension and at a instant the noise is gone with no tension at all. I removed the LRB and spun the line roller on my tweezers and noticed that it rolled 1/4 turn and stopped and in the fingers you can feel that the bearing is shagged. I then stuck the butt of the long clover tweezers in my ear and spun the and you can hear the mechanical noise from the bearing and that closely imitates the noise from the LRB assembly with line through it.

The bearing was cleaned and ran it dry and that noise is even more prominent with line tension, clean bearings usually roll free with a flick and this bearing does not - just stops in its tracks. Ran some grease oil mix through and its dulled down however still there and there is a definite feel to the bearing like one of the bearing balls is deformed and isnt round or has been damaged some how since my last service? I checked the bearings and all workings - LRB was fine. What was noisy was the gearbox as the reel was dry internally as it was a dunked reel.

Bearings can go bad and destroy themselves as they are a complex and highly strung machine with issues with servicing and external grievances against foreign materials and elements...

Anyhow all it needs is a new LRB bearing and all will be well...