Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Blue Lip

I prefer Daiwa, im running Exists and a couple of Steez's and Branny's and a couple of Shimano Stella's and I pick up the Daiwa reel every time.

My old man is Shimano all the way and has everything from a Sedona through to a Biomaster and loves them to bits but even he has admitted he would pick up my Exists before the Stella's and Bio's etc.

They can't be that bad then

Also MB reels are awesome, and they're basically blinged up Daiwa's

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Big Bream

I prefer Daiwa SVF rods and Shimano Stella spin reels.. Best of both worlds for me.

http://waves-anglers.com/
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfisher View Post
I prefer Daiwa SVF rods and Shimano Stella spin reels.. Best of both worlds for me.
I'm with you on that. Daiwa seem to make the best rods. As for reels Ive really only had Shimano.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
I've been wondering what do match my feral kat and storm shadow with, maybe I now have the answer!

Seems to me that daiwa is in no way superior. I've got heaps of both shimano and daiwa. Daiwas seem blingier, but looking at my twinpower mg I would say shimano can sometimes come up with some nice looking reels. The daiwa reels seem to be more free spinning, whereas shimano reels are more smooth spinning. Does that make sense?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
I've been wondering what do match my feral kat and storm shadow with, maybe I now have the answer!

Seems to me that daiwa is in no way superior. I've got heaps of both shimano and daiwa. Daiwas seem blingier, but looking at my twinpower mg I would say shimano can sometimes come up with some nice looking reels. The daiwa reels seem to be more free spinning, whereas shimano reels are more smooth spinning. Does that make sense?
Feral Kat is a sweet stick, I have the last model steez 2508 on mine, match made in heaven that one...
Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Big Bream

2508r...you guys seem to use big reels for bream. I thought around 2004 daiwa size is all one would need?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
I live in Townsville but born and bred Sydney boy. When I'm back I wanna enter bream comps using Baitcasting finesse setups. Pretty much lighter than Pixy reels and XUL, UL and L rods
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Poddy Bream

Love my shimano reels ( have close to 50 ) and will only use shimano for reel.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne_jones View Post
Feral Kat is a sweet stick, I have the last model steez 2508 on mine, match made in heaven that one...
Thanks Cheyne I think it is awesome too, I got it to be my racks rod for bream but I have only used it with a 2500 stradic ci4 so far, but it caught my biggest ever tarpon and got a real workout. Great to hear the steez goes great, it obviously looks perfect, I will keep saving my pennies only a bit longer. Big red here we come.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Big Bream

I use both. I have owned an Daiwa Exist, which I must say, was a lovely piece of kit and I currently own a Shimano Stella, which is also a pure pleasure to use. Both brands offer comparible models right through their entire range. Prices for both brands are comparable when you take the reel's features and quality into account. For all intents and purposes, you could simply consider both brands as being equal and then chose which model you like, purely by the features and price. That's what I do.

Daiwa definately have a much larger range to chose from, especially in the mid to high range models. Daiwa also offer more options when it comes to sizes. Then again, Shimano offer the magical Stella, which has a reputation for longetivity and reliance that Daiwa must really envy.

The bottom line - both brands are good. Just choose the model and size that you like. You really can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by Windknot; 08-01-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Mature Bream

It is really shimano for me, I can see the benefit of a 2000, 2004 size reel, etc, but why not go more finesse with a 1000, I am a big fan of 1000 size reels, all my inland fishing is nearly always done with one, when it comes to trout and bream, but then I can see a gap.

Really if shimano brought a 2000 reel to Aus, I would be all over it, if it incoperated some of the classic shimano features, well presented looks, quality customer service, toughness the two last features are not so well represented in the Dawia range.

- Daniel

All to there own though.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Blue Lip

Why not just get a Daiwa and find out. We can crap on for 10+ pages like this and it won't help you.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Mature Bream

I like Shimano because 10 years warranty , I've got Shimano Fireblood for 5 years than I made service in Shimano Australia on Taren point my spool have problem not anymore rattle ,and what surprise -staff give me brand new spool for free. Thanks Shimano Australia!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Poddy Bream

I'm with Chief...
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggy View Post

Really if shimano brought a 2000 reel to Aus, I would be all over it
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."