Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiwaFreak View Post
ended up going for a new suzuki 140,

We have a winner!

Nothing short of the correct choice, congrats

PB: No way, you'll just laugh!

Member of Mandurah Breaming Association
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked-Up View Post
2 stroke is old technology.
Unfortunately very incorrect!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Blue Lip

But doesn't the new Direct Fuel Injected generation of 2 Strokes give them a whole new lease of life. The new engines have better fuel economy as well as much lower emissions doesn't that mean that 2 Strokes will be here to stay for a while to come?

Just looking on the water there still seem to be alot of new boats ebing sold with 2 Stroke engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked-Up View Post
Suzuki 4 stroke is the go. 2 stroke is old technology.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWorm View Post
But doesn't the new Direct Fuel Injected generation of 2 Strokes give them a whole new lease of life. The new engines have better fuel economy as well as much lower emissions doesn't that mean that 2 Strokes will be here to stay for a while to come?

Just looking on the water there still seem to be alot of new boats ebing sold with 2 Stroke engines.
A lot of the newer 2 stroke outboards now have direct injection, they are pretty fuel efficient and quiet, but still not as efficient and as quiet as the 4 strokes. Generally, the 2 strokes are cheaper, maybe thats why they are sold in boat package deals?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Mature Bream

Good chose i would of went the Suzuki myself even though i have a Yammy four stroke

The Suzuki would have to be one of the best outboards on the market IMO

Best of luck with it, hope she serves you well
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Mature Bream

If planning on trawling, steer clear of the Etec's, mate that I go fishing with all the time has 90 Etec and thinking about changing it over... @ trawling revs the amps do not maintain/charge the batteries and apparently nil can be done as the alternator output can not be changed? As far as low down Torque and performance awsome motor IMO.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Mature Bream

[QUOTE=DaiwaFreak;364521]A lot of the newer 2 stroke outboards now have direct injection, they are pretty fuel efficient and quiet, but still not as efficient and as quiet as the 4 strokes. QUOTE]

In 2008 the Tohatsu TLDI 115 was the world's most economical 115 on the market bar none. They are now 20% more fuel efficient! Noise output is is on par with equvilent four strokes at WOT & cruise but at idle the 4 strokes are a little quieter - mostly due to the compressor on the TLDI. Opti's are a little more noisy.

2008 115 Tohatsu TLDI on 6.5m Ally rig 10.2 litres per hour at 19 knots in the ocean.

As you can see I'm just a little passionate about injected 2 strokes.
Not trying to upset anyone, just getting the facts out there.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Big Bream

My 115 HO Etec is unbeleivabely quiet and very very good on fuel. It absolutely destroys any 4 stroke out there for performance and holeshot, but thats what I wanted my boat to do, short fast runs so holeshot and WOT is important to me. On the other hand if I was on the shelf all day trolling or making long offshore runs at cruising speed a 4 stroke would be the my choice. I think the four strokes are a better motor for this application. Fuel economy of one or the other (yammies, suzi's, etec's and opti's) is pretty dam close anyway IMO its not gunna break the bank in terms of fuel economy to own any of these motors.
Old 25-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Poddy Bream

Hey Guys,
Have had Mercury engines most of my life always were good to me , but have recently changed over too Honda , WOW .
Really impressed with the fuel aconomy, went from a 200 OPTI to the 225 v-tec honda, and the fuel consumrtion is about half of what it used to be, and also don't have to buy oil anymore, which is another massive saving.
Power in these new four stroke outboard engines is way different to a few year ago, similar to moto GP bikes four stroke are just as powerfully and are rapidly replacing the two strokes.
Also know have purchased a 40 honda tiller , for my my smaller boat . Same deal awesome, did a 28klm run the other day and only used 12 liters.
If you have a look for second hand Honda outboards , you can't find many , and thats because no one want to sell them, and if you do find one they are neally as dear as a new one. BEST thing I could have done !!!! Honda
Old 25-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXTCAST View Post
i ran a honda for a while, service costs twice a year add up on four strokes.
run an etec now and more than impressed with running costs and a service every3 years / 300hrs does not need a bank loan to pay for them. i had a couple of minor warranty claims that were fixed fast and no stress. and you can flog them strait out of the box. etecs have 2 oil settings in its computer, one for any suited oil and the other for xd 100 which on that setting they use 50% less oil, as for fuel type ordinary unleaded is fine but in the 225HO i run it really likes the good stuff.
that service every 300 hours is for freshwater use only if using in salt its 100 hours which is the same amount of hours for a four stroke engine
Old 26-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
that service every 300 hours is for freshwater use only if using in salt its 100 hours which is the same amount of hours for a four stroke engine
Very interested to know where you obtained this information?????
Old 28-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
28klm run the other day and only used 12 liters
This is not a good advertisment for fuel consumption!

My Etec kills this, one trip I did 201 km's (109 nauitical miles) on just over 3/4 tank of fuel (40-45 ish litres), and that was two up with a full load.

here is the first googled fuel consumption for evinrude etec 90hp

Quote:
A recent trip off Bribie Island, for example, saw us traveling over 7Okm for the morning while searching for tuna and the fuel bill was under $21. A cheap trip for four-and-a-half hours on the water.
Nearly twice the fuel consumption for a motor half the size, and a four stroke....?

Quote:
Is is also garbage.... There are certain lurication points (3) that need to be addressed every 100hours, other than that no extra servicing required for salt compared with freshwater.

If you refer to the attached diagram, direct from evinrude, you can see how people are mistaken. .

Edit: I cannot attach it, there fore I will attach the thread where we have already put these alligations to bed, page 4, 14th post down.

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...t=27156&page=4

point 3 that is highlighted down the bottom of the table, if refers to any of the scheduled actions that have a (3) behind them.

Easy mistake to make, but again I fear it may be a case of someone on these forums quoting something they have heard second hand, not the actual fact...

Last edited by Shauno; 28-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 15-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Poddy Bream

Hey Shawno,

Mate sorry was mean to be $12.00 dollars fuel , around 7 liters from memory.

Your Etec has incredible fuel consumption , don't know anyone who gets those sort of numbers from an etec , I know most of the Comp guys don't get any wear near that.
Have a mate how has a fourty Etec , and for the same run used 13.2 liters , pushing a similar boat to mine , and again no Oil mate.
Old 15-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandurah Marine View Post
In 2008 the Tohatsu TLDI 115 was the world's most economical 115 on the market bar none. They are now 20% more fuel efficient! Noise output is is on par with equvilent four strokes at WOT & cruise but at idle the 4 strokes are a little quieter - mostly due to the compressor on the TLDI. Opti's are a little more noisy.

2008 115 Tohatsu TLDI on 6.5m Ally rig 10.2 litres per hour at 19 knots in the ocean.

As you can see I'm just a little passionate about injected 2 strokes.
Not trying to upset anyone, just getting the facts out there.

Id be interested to know how "worlds most economical" is defined. There are so many variables in boats and how people use them I wouldnt have thought its possible to single one motor out. Any chance this info is on line somewhere I could see?
Old 19-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Poddy Bream

Cool

I've had 60 etec for just over 3 years, done heaps of work, best motor I have ever owned (had about 15 - 20 in past). Starts first turn of key even if not run for a couple of weeks, I keep tapping the fuel guage thinking it is not working because the tec uses so little fuel. I have had yama in past, good motor but not as good, smooth, quite or economical as the tec.