Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Blue Lip

It seems that you didn't do your sums either which is why I questioned. Your post is written in such a way that you could be forgiven for thinking that you have only had to service your etec once every 3 yrs to 4 strokes twice a year. 1yr/100 vs 3yr/300 would be a much less misleading comparison.

P.S. power to weight simply is not a true comparison anymore. It is something etec has marketed from the start but is a comparison possibly to some early model honda's etc. As an example Etec's 60hp is around 110kg their 75 is 145kg. Yamaha has a 70hp 4stroke that is 120kg. Seems pretty similar figures to me. Hole shot and torque I can't comment on as I haven't used either engines. Some would argue etec's being two stroke have more torque. The pro's and cons of 2vs4 stroke probably aren't so relevant anymore.
Old 22-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Blue Lip

Well I've sort of taken the Honda out of the list since the 135hp weighs 217kg, seems quite heavy compared to the ETEC and Suzuki. The ETEC 130hp is light at 177kg, but the Suzuki is 140hp is 186kg, only 9kg heavier than an ETEC. Plus it is a 4 stroke and it has 10hp more. The Suzuki has also proven to be one of the most reliable outboards on the market today. Not too sure about the ETEC though. I also don't believe in the no break in period and no servicing for 300 hours. I would not leave my motor unserviced for 300 hours/3 years no matter how many hours I do. So overall, the weight of the two motors are practically the same, and so are the prices. Only thing that I would like to know lastly is which motor is more fuel efficient when at low revs and high revs. Fuel efficiency is a major factor in deciding which motor to buy as the fuel tank on our boat is only 100L. Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Daiwafreak
Old 23-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Mature Bream

From what I know, the Etec, being a 2 stroke, has more low end torque, 4 strokes can't match that. Simple.

If getting up on the plane quickly with a heavy boat/payload is important, this would be your choice. I have driven a 4 stroke Yammy 150 on a 5.85 mtr Streaker, and the relative lack of low end torque was noticeable, taking a while to come on plane. Same when I drove a Yammy 50 on a 4.5 mtr Bermuda. I'm not bagging Yammy's, just my observations.....

Low speed (trolling ) economy, would be bloody close between all 3. I don't think this should sway you......

At the top end, the 4 strokes would have the economy advantage. Their peak torque value is up where the revs would spend most time when travelling. I believe the Suzuki would be the winner here, with their lean-burn strategy, which reduces fuel consumption, which is important with limited fuel capacity.

Power to weight ratio is tricky, because in all cases the lighter engine is also smaller in capacity. A bigger capacity engine will normally produce more torque, which to me is very important. And bigger engines, invariably weigh more. It peeves me off that manufacturers never publish their torque figures, or torque curve, which would make choice easier in my opinion. In this case the Etec wins out. Generally a 2 stroke is torquier than the equivalent capacity 4 stroke.

As for reliability, Honda is highly acclaimed in this regard. But you pay for the privelige when servicing.

The Suzukis are just as good it seems. I never hear bad reports on them. Yes, expensive to buy, but I believe service costs aren't too bad.

The Etecs seems to be a good engine. Yes I've heard some problems, but it seems many are happy owners. I don't by into the thrash out of the box claim. Yeah, you can do it, but if you have half a brain, some mechanical sympathy, and want to save your pocket long term, you wouldn't do it....

No servicing for 300 hours is great, but there is no way if I was doing heaps of fishing, or heading offshore, that I wouldn't have it serviced every 100 hours for the peace of mind of reliability. Lee Rayner has his Etec serviced every year for the same reason.

Long term, I believe the Etec (even with the expensive XD-100 oil)wold be cheaper to own, with lower servicing costs, until something big goes wrong, as they do appear to use some big $$$ parts in them.

I know this may not may things clearer, but thought that I'd try to point out the pros and cons objectively.

Bigpat

PB Bream SP: 33cm Gulp 6" Camo Worm (what else...)
PB Bream HB: 36cm ZipBait Rigge 46s MDR

Last edited by bigpat; 23-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 23-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Fingerling

[QUOTE=Justin Boyle;321535]It seems that you didn't do your sums either which is why I questioned. Your post is written in such a way that you could be forgiven for thinking that you have only had to service your etec once every 3 yrs to 4 strokes twice a year. 1yr/100 vs 3yr/300 would be a much less misleading comparison.

sorry my bad didnt mean to be misleading,but as for the service costs to me between a 4 and 2 stroke, ive done the sums, rather spend money on fuel to go fishing than line my dealers pockets getting donk serviced.
Old 23-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Blue Lip

I've gotta go get my merc serviced. Was $650 last time. Hope this time will be less. The average person who buys a new boat wouldn't ever need to service their etec because they would sell it deciding boating isn't there thing or they don't have enough time

There's disaster stories with all outboards. A mates dad has a 300hp suzuki with probably 25hrs and had no oil in it so getting a complete rebuild under warranty.
Old 23-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Big Bream

a marine mechanic told me that your mad not to get any outboard[ etec included] serviced at least once a year.easier to locate the prob and fix it b4 its too late,if one ever arises

good advice for any outboard,especially if used in the salt

cheers bomb
spinnerbaiting yellowbelly
suspending minnows on bass
jigging kingfish
flyfishing for bonito
fizzer fishing barra/goodoo
Old 23-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Blue Lip

And if you buy an Etec read the fine print.. Mate was running Etecs and got rid of them wya to thirsty on an open throttle
Old 23-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBreamer View Post
And if you buy an Etec read the fine print.. Mate was running Etecs and got rid of them wya to thirsty on an open throttle
A mate also has the same problem, he has a 4.6 plate with a 100L tank, running a 75 ETEC. We were running a old 115 yamaha (1986 i think) on a 5.6 plate allot with 100l tank, he mananged to nearly empty the tank on a trip while we still had a bit over a third of a tank left. We were both traveling same distances at similar speeds. Obviously the smaller engine has to work harder and burn more fuel to keep up with the bigger engine, but I was surprised after hearing about how ETEC's were so economical.

Looks like we have settled on a new Suzuki 140hp, it is only 9kg more than a 130hp ETEC and its provides 10hp more at the same time. Suzukis are apparently more efficient than the ETECs at both low and high revs, and the Suzuki is only a bit more expensive than the ETEC.
Old 23-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Mature Bream

Good choice mate

Bigpat

PB Bream SP: 33cm Gulp 6" Camo Worm (what else...)
PB Bream HB: 36cm ZipBait Rigge 46s MDR
Old 24-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Blue Lip

Well after having a long think about it, we have decided to buy a used 4-stroke motor, Honda or Suzuki. A brand new DF140 would cost just under $18000. The only thing is that out boat is a 1994 model, we figured that in few years we would probably upgrade. So we will settle for a used 4-stroke for now. Choices at the moment are a 2004 130hp Honda or a 2007 or 2008 150hp Suzuki. All 3 motors are in the same price range. From what I can see, the Suzuki would be a better option as they are lighter than the Honda (211kg vs. 233kg), and at the same time, has 20hp more.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Big Bream

I probably wait till you can put a new motor on a new boat
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Blue Lip

As far as i know, 4 strokes should show better fuel economy at mid range RPM, Four stroles don;t particularly like being thrashed, even the newest ones...

140hp Suzuki is a mean motor, just ugly... No need for an oil reservior (like Etec) and the motor uses a self adjusting timing chain not a belt like other brands..

I'd be interested in the price difference between the 130hp Etec and the Suzie, Suzie should be 2-3k dearer...

IOn sayin all of this...

My Etec, has been brilliant, I drive it at two speeds, 7knots or flat out...

I did over a 60km round trip to the middle of the gulf for $17 worth of petrol
(91 octance)

With my $75 Oil consumption is about 4L of xd-100 per 35hours, But I reckon this will lean up in the second cycle.

I will make sure I lube all points of movement before the 300hr service, and clean the fuel filter, I might even loosen and lube and retighten the lower bolts holding the leg on other than that though... It being left alone...

People knock etecs without really knowing whats going on... Damo, what does the "read the fine print" mean in relation to Etec's?

Only one 4 stroke I would never own and that is a Yamaha, they are soo slow...... Although the design concepts in the new 70hp might change this...
Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Blue Lip

I fished two weeks in the tropics recently and used half a resevoir of oil in my 90hp etec. I wont be owning another outboard for a long time.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Blue Lip

Just an update on the thread, ended up going for a new suzuki 140, bloody quiet engine, even quieter than my mates 135 honda. Very powerful engine, good acceleration, not sure how it is on fuel though (fuel gauge doesn't work yet), but have done 80kms on it so far, no problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Fingerling

Suzuki 4 stroke is the go. 2 stroke is old technology.