Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 24-10-2019, 02:34 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Electric fg tool?

Last edited by yellow door 1; 24-10-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Old 24-10-2019, 05:54 AM
Mature Bream

Only price i found....$129
Old 24-10-2019, 07:44 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah thats pretty expensive for device that claims to tie FG knots when its actually tying a PR knot
Old 24-10-2019, 06:30 PM
Mature Bream

PR knot is stronger
Old 24-10-2019, 06:58 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
PR knot is stronger
Ahh I didnt know that - I wonder why that guy claims the machine ties weaker knots than it actually does.

That also begs the question - why is everyone tying FG's.

From the brief bit of googling I just did - It seems Fg's are harder to stuff up and you dont need a tool - but apart from that - you'd reckon PR knots would be more popular than they are.

What sort of percentage increase in strength does the PR have over the FG

Are they 5%, 10% or 15% stronger

I purposely use leaders that are weaker than my braid so my FG's dont break - But I'd still be interested to hear how much extra strength I could get from the PR
Old 24-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah thats pretty expensive for device that claims to tie FG knots when its actually tying a PR knot
whats the actual difference between the 2 knots.
by the time this guy piss farts around and gets the knot done the fish will be in the next suburb..
Old 24-10-2019, 07:49 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
whats the actual difference between the 2 knots.
by the time this guy piss farts around and gets the knot done the fish will be in the next suburb..
As I can see it - the FG has alternating criss cross wraps along the leader- and the PR does 20 wraps the same way up the leader and then 20 back down over the top of those wraps.

Those type of knots are the ones you tie once the night before and dont have to worry about - because if you get your leader and braid strengths right - the weakest knot on your leader is attached to the lure - so that breaks before your leader knot does.

Its a fool proof system - 100% EFFECTIVE - 95% OF THE TIME
Old 25-10-2019, 02:49 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
As I can see it - the FG has alternating criss cross wraps along the leader- and the PR does 20 wraps the same way up the leader and then 20 back down over the top of those wraps.....
Yep, and pretty sure there is almost no difference in knot strength. Both knots will fail eventually if cast repeatedly through the rod guides and the top loop or wrap (red arrow) is damaged. After all, one of the reasons these knots are so good is that they are slim with the leader tag facing back down the mainline and cast a dream.

FG.jpg

If the top wrap/loop fails the knot unravels and it is for this reason that I prefer the FG. The best way to protect the top wrap is to make sure that it is cinched really tight onto the leader and bites in below the surface, and I find that the over/under wrapping on an FG is better for this than the spiral up-spiral down wraps of the PR.

I have found that tightening the PR the bottom loops (blue arrow) get really tight but sometimes leave the top loop a bit looser and more prone to guide damage.

Just my 2cworth.
Old 25-10-2019, 04:42 AM
Mature Bream

I almost posted yesterday about it being an FG knot. I have tied so many now. I dont need a machine, Way too slow for me !!! Howard.

But 4 lb braid and 4 lb leader, BIJHVGHGHUVGHBHJBCT. it can get frustrating!!!!
Old 25-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Mature Bream

Most do a FG short where the PR is usually 3-4 times the length,i do mine using a bobbin.PR would be around 20% stronger,usually all my lines are 20,25 or 30lb for mullies.Smaller species i go with double uni's.
Old 25-10-2019, 06:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Yep, and pretty sure there is almost no difference in knot strength. Both knots will fail eventually if cast repeatedly through the rod guides and the top loop or wrap (red arrow) is damaged. After all, one of the reasons these knots are so good is that they are slim with the leader tag facing back down the mainline and cast a dream.

Attachment 115315

If the top wrap/loop fails the knot unravels and it is for this reason that I prefer the FG. The best way to protect the top wrap is to make sure that it is cinched really tight onto the leader and bites in below the surface, and I find that the over/under wrapping on an FG is better for this than the spiral up-spiral down wraps of the PR.

I have found that tightening the PR the bottom loops (blue arrow) get really tight but sometimes leave the top loop a bit looser and more prone to guide damage.

Just my 2cworth.
Yeah maybe the length of those PR's give them something extra in dry land scale tests
Old 25-10-2019, 06:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
I almost posted yesterday about it being an FG knot. I have tied so many now. I dont need a machine, Way too slow for me !!! Howard.

But 4 lb braid and 4 lb leader, BIJHVGHGHUVGHBHJBCT. it can get frustrating!!!!
Yeah I stopped use 4lb leaders coz I always used to snap them when tightening knots.
Old 25-10-2019, 06:54 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
Most do a FG short where the PR is usually 3-4 times the length,i do mine using a bobbin.PR would be around 20% stronger,usually all my lines are 20,25 or 30lb for mullies.Smaller species i go with double uni's.
Yeah sounds like the PR's length would make it a good knot to troll with but not so great with casting.

I know there are blokes who only do 12 wraps with their fgs, to keep the knot as short as possible for casting
Old 25-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Yeah sounds like the PR's length would make it a good knot to troll with but not so great with casting.

I know there are blokes who only do 12 wraps with their fgs, to keep the knot as short as possible for casting
Always depends on what line thickness is being used on braid and leader to how thick the knot will be,do you want the knot to wind on the spool or just sit in front.How many guides and how small are they on the rod usually BC rods are smaller,just different circumstances for every fisho to work out for the best outcome. Remembering FG & PR are meant to be the thinnest & strongest knots to date.
On some rods i can feel the knot coming through the guides rubbing like sandpaper,on other rods using the same reel not so noticeable.

Last edited by jonnie; 25-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 25-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Mature Bream

" i can hear " I wish I could !!!

There was a joke about loud music affecting the hearing of Dogs.
The Conclusion, Keep Your Dogs Away From Your Stereo !!!!!!!!

AINT SO FUNNY NOW !!!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: