Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
I use shellite to degrease my bits and pieces

And manliness to overcome the piss ant minuscule amount of difference in cranking pressure created by greased gears
Bottle some manliness and sell for $15 a pop ud be a millionaire in no time
Old 23-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Blue Lip

Careful with inox inside a reel,it can wash the grease out of bearings.
Both myself and a mate have had to regrease our stradic fj's due to poor factory jobs.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 23-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Fingerling

hi all lots of videos on youtube about reel maintenance.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Blue Lip

There sure is

Though they can be a little skimpy on the actual servicing side, especially spin gear

I don't recall seeing a video showing how to grease a reel correctly, not saying that its not out there, just saying that it can be hard to find

Hence the creation of this thread, just to help us common folk out a little
Old 24-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Mature Bream

I have been looking for info to take apart my JDM '07 luvias 1003, and so far I haven't because I don't want to ruin it. I just take care of it really well and nurse it basically. I have been using the daiwa space age oil grease and an oil that came with my shimano stradic ci4 to lightly lubricate the line roller, the rotor and spool. But with posts saying it needs to be properly lubricated before use, I am really worried as now when I pick it up to test it, it still feels relatively smooth, but it doesn't feel quite as smooth as when I first got it, and when I spin it, it doesn't keep spinning for as long as it would normally.

So I think I may have a tiny bit of salt/sand up inside the gears and I should obviously not use it again until it's completely cleaned out right? I do like to fiddle with stuff and try to be handy but previously took apart a daiwa revros and a shimano sahara and I just broke stuff so I prefer not to just have a crack with this reel. If anyone has any info on how to take apart a daiwa luvias please can you post here.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Blue Lip

My first big hint is to find somewhere online that gives a description of maintaining that reel or similar

Failing that, what you need to do is find the schematics and photocopy them to be as large as you can for easy viewing

Then grab a fluffy and clean white towel and lay it down on your work area surface

Have your tools laid out ready to roll

Grab your mobile phone to take chronological shots of the reels dismantlement and assembly

As you take pieces apart, lay them on the towel in an orderly fashion to keep track of the order they were in

One more, make sure the floor in your work area is well lit and uncluttered, that way if you drop a small piece, it can be more easily found

If you still have concerns, send it in to daiwa or a tackle store or someone with experience

I'd love to service such a small reel

Good luck with it mate

Cheers

Oh yeah, and stay off the piss if its your first time, trust me

Last edited by nagz; 24-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 25-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Mature Bream

Yeah I keep looking at vids on how to dismantle my reel but just haven't found any with my reel so I just don't feel very confident, but I will be getting new drag washers and the spool and handle bearing that I think the luvias needs. It has gotten to definite crunch time for me on getting this fixed as it is now off the water. Does anyone know if the daiwa space age reel grease is good to put in the gears? Is there a better grease product? And is inox m5 good or bad to put on reels?
Old 25-11-2012, 04:37 AM
Blue Lip

That grease is fine mate
It was specifically designed for use on real four reels I believe

Cals also do good grease
Old 25-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug speedman View Post
One from the master of maintenance and super tuning.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41416
He is a master for sure
Old 25-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Blue Lip

Here is a quick couple of pics of a stradic 2500fj with a good solid coating of cals grease
This is the most I would use on a small spin reel and only because I intend (hopefully) to catch some big fish on it.
I have also upgraded the drag, so under heavy loads I'm hoping the grease helps the little fella out

You can see the grease is spread everywhere, not just dabbed in useless spots like it was from the factory. Everything that moves has a bit
The grease does take a little bit away from the freedom of the reel, though not very much, it's still smooth, and more importantly to me, it's adequately protected from the elements and pressures of fish fighting

If I was to use this reel for bream type fishing, I'd use a lot less grease and really pay attention to the bearings to get them spinning really well and make the reel as smooth as possible for those little lures

Old 26-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Mature Bream

thanks nagz,
what do u use for bearing lubrication?
Old 26-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Mature Bream

Feeling somewhat inspired after following this thread I thought I'd dab a bit of grease through my 2000 Sol .

Took the first side plate off expecting to find gears , nothing ,access must be on the other , took the opposite side plate off , same .

Not to keen on pulling it apart from the shaft down.

Done a bit of a search on servicing 2000 Sols but no luck .
Would anyone better at computer searches than me have a link on how to grease up a Sol

Thanks.
Old 26-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Banned

Out of curosity, I greased up my old daiwa regal in the same way as you did nagz to see how the reel feels. Winding was smooth but a lot more resistance to get it started and it free spin about 1/3 less than before BUT cranking inertia feels stronger.
Old 26-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Gummy Guy

@steve anderson - You need to pull the reel down from the top to the bottom. This means taking off the spool and working from there. once you have got all the spool bearing and drag pawl off, you can get access to the rotor nut which needs to come off (10mm socket for 2000 & 2500 daiwas). once you remove the rotor, you will have access to one or two (cant remember) of the side plate screws, which hid under the rotor. You will need to take the protective guard (the bit of plastic on the front edge of the reel) to get access to the other body screw. Once you have done this you will have access to the internal working of the reel. Sols are very easy to play around with and shows little negative symtoms after being opened.

By the sounds of it all you have done is pulled of the chrome plastics inserts on the body which are purely cosmetic.
Old 26-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Blue Lip

Jb2020,
I use oust oil for bearings that need to run smoothly and freely, for long casts with lighter lures on a bc reel.
Cals reel grease for small bearings that require corrosion resistance and marine grease for largerer bearings, coz its cheaper than cals.
U can use oil on large bearings if you like also

Steve, schematics are your friend

L-fish, yeah it won't be a smooth as it was, but over time the grease will settle into nooks and crannies and you'll find it frees up a bit. You can also be confident that you will get longer life out of your gears and bearings